Online check in for International flights

markm

I guess it depends on the airway and their policies around seat reservations. My older daughter went to Ghana for 3 weeks last month, and she few Brussels Airlines. They didn't allow you to reserve your seat until checkin, so it was very much in her interest to do the online checkin as soon as she could in order to get her preferred seat type / location.

If British Airways lets you reserve your seat at the time of booking / payment, probably less reason to worry about checking in ahead of time. Only other reason I can think of is that it saves you some time when you get there, since you'll already have your boarding pass and can even load it up on your phone (no need for a printed pass). Just check your luggage and head straight to security so you can be in the terminal lounge area that much faster.

5 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I guess it depends on the airway and their policies around seat reservations. My older daughter went to Ghana for 3 weeks last month, and she few Brussels Airlines. They didn't allow you to reserve your seat until checkin, so it was very much in her interest to do the online checkin as soon as she could in order to get her preferred seat type / location.

If British Airways lets you reserve your seat at the time of booking / payment, probably less reason to worry about checking in ahead of time. Only other reason I can think of is that it saves you some time when you get there, since you'll already have your boarding pass and can even load it up on your phone (no need for a printed pass). Just check your luggage and head straight to security so you can be in the terminal lounge area that much faster.

Good info, Thank you. Only one thing, British Airways will let you pick your seats 24 hours in advance , 7 days in advance if your a member, but charges for advance seat assignment in economy,  I Paid $51.00 per person each way, and they are the cheap seats

3 hours ago, markm said:

What are the advantages (if any) to checking in online before your flight. Flying on British Airways 

On our Med cruise in 2011 British Airways didn't allow check-in unless you paid extra, and after Guest Services helped us call them directly, we decided to just go with the flow and check in at the airport.  It worked out fine at Barcelona.  I don't know current policy, but I wanted you to know that airport check-in worked out OK for us.  I needlessly fretted the last sea day and vow never to worry like that again.  Enjoy!