Sint Maarten Car Rental

I have rented cars a couple times when I went to the Caymans when I was more into land vacations and didn't have any issues -- so, I'm not worried about driving in a foreign country. I am thinking about renting a Jeep on Sint Maarten and going counter clockwise around the island stopping at Orient Beach for a bit, Marigot (specifically Sarafina's Bakery), and then cross Maho Beach and Sunset Beach Grill off my bucket list with my family.

The only thing I am a little nervous about is the time to leave Maho to get back to the ship with plenty of time for its 5:00 pm departure. I have read several forums with horror stories about it taking forever to get back to Philipsburg either due to traffic and/or the bridge at Simpson Bay being up for boats. I also don't want to miss any of the larger jets landing. So, if we leave at 2:00 pm, does that give us enough time? Should I go west toward Philipsburg, or go back around the island clockwise to go back?

I am also renting a GPS so that I can deal effectively with the unlabeled roundabouts I read about. Does anyone have any experience with this, or thoughts from having been there? I am figuring the cost to rent would be about the same as hiring a driver as I have heard Matt suggest. Still, I like the independence of having a vehicle.

I apologize for the repetitive question. I just wanted to ask it in another way.

Leaving by 2 should give you plenty of time. That's about when we left Maho and we're back by 3 as we were ahead of the crowds. Remember that you'll need to be onboard by 4:30, so you'll also need time to return the car and get back to the ship.

You'll need to check the flight schedules for times. When we were there, the largest plane, the KLM 747 landed around 10:30 and took off somewhere between 1:30-2:30. The times are posted at the beach, but that won't help you much if you're going elsewhere, too.

Just a note of warning (and not trying to be a party poop).  We've rented cars and jeeps at many locales in the Caribbean with no problem.  Saint Martin was the exception.  We used Hertz at the airport and received a new car with one of those code locks on the doors.  Parked and hiked, returned to find our locked car ransacked.  Our objects had been hidden under the seats and were not in view at all.  Obviously the code for that particular car was common knowledge to the local thieves.  When I complained to Hertz, I got zero support.  This was over 10 years ago, but nonetheless, beware.  It bummed our trip.