On-Board Price of DBP just skyrocketed for my Anthem sailing

JLMoran

Wow, the last BOGO50 promo just ended and instead of the price going from $52 ($70 on-board price - 25%) to $56 ($70 on-board - 20%), now it's skyrocketed to $65 pp/pn! Since I just got an email telling me it's at the usual 20% off, that means on-board price for the Oct 19, 2019 Anthem sailing just shot up to $81 pp/pn!!

I'm really hoping this is another intern-type screw-up and they accidentally reversed the numbers, where it was supposed to actually be $56 pp/pn. If not, then my decision not to buy the DBP just got locked in and I'm really glad I've already bought one of my two allowed bottles of wine.

6 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Wow, the last BOGO50 promo just ended and instead of the price going from $52 ($70 on-board price - 25%) to $56 ($70 on-board - 20%), now it's skyrocketed to $65 pp/pn! Since I just got an email telling me it's at the usual 20% off, that means on-board price for the Oct 19, 2019 Anthem sailing just shot up to $81 pp/pn!!

I'm really hoping this is another intern-type screw-up and they accidentally reversed the numbers, where it was supposed to actually be $56 pp/pn. If not, then my decision not to buy the DBP just got locked in and I'm really glad I've already bought one of my two allowed bottles of wine.

I'm on the Sept 21 2019 Anthem cruise and the DBP just went up to $61 from $49.  I'm glad I bought it at $49.

What's kind of nuts about the current pricing is that DBP + Internet is $70 pp/pn, so you're getting 1-device VOOM for just $5 more over DBP alone. That's normally a $10-$15 up-charge, which is part of why I'm thinking this must be some kind of glitch in the "just DBP" pricing.

Unless, of course, they're trying to goose sales of DBP+VOOM to the gullible who don't track these things or compare against getting VOOM by itself if they need more than one device. ?

Same here...both Navigator and Anthem jumped up to $86 CAD (which is $65 USD).  That's crazy.  (Anthem was up there to begin with, but Navigator was at $65 CAD 2  weeks ago and then $69 CAD last week...so up to $86 is a huge jump).  

Funny thing for us...we grabbed the $18 price for our 2 cruises next year, which includes Anthem.  But then it got us thinking...DH and I have Adventure this Dec and that one is without our kids so it would be the one cruise where the drink package would be great. So we ended up treating ourselves and purchased it for Adventure (note that we never get the DBP).  Then literally the next day, there was the spike up to $73 CAD for Adventure.  Talk about lucky.  (And so the $18 blunder made us get 3 packages in the end, which we never would have gotten).

So wonder if labor day sale will just bring the price back down to what it was prior to this spike...and then people will jump on buying packages?

P-S. - Our Key for Anthem is also ridiculous at $50 CAD.

Edited by WannaCruise

24 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@WannaCruise someone in the FB group for my Harmony December 2020 sailing just posted that the Key has gone to $50 CAD!

Pretty crazy.  Wonder if that's the new going rate for Oasis and Quantum class?  It's still at $33 CAD for our Navigator and Adventure cruises.

The less people buy these cruise items at the higher prices it will force them to bring prices down to the level in which people will pay for them or the reverse will happen and people will pay these higher prices which will encourage RCI to see where the prices stop people from buying. It's capitalism at its finest and I have no problem with that; I choose to not buy it at these prices and that's my right as a consumer.

7 hours ago, BunnyHutt said:

Anthem holiday 2020 cruise is $59/day. And I can buy the Key for $38/day (or over $900 for my family). Think I’ll be passing on that one. 

I don't think The Key is worth it at $38/day - is this USD or CAD by the way? We are Canadian and still waiting for The Key to hit our cruise planner... I was hoping for the cheap $19.99 USD price but from the sounds of things I don't think we are going to get it at that price like a lot of other people have.

11 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Pretty crazy.  Wonder if that's the new going rate for Oasis and Quantum class?  It's still at $33 CAD for our Navigator and Adventure cruises.

Oasis Dec 8, 2019 $59 a day (20% off)

Allure May 24, 2020 $60 a day (20% off)

Empress Aug 17, 2020 - no price listed yet

Anthem Dec 8, 2020 $52 a day (20% off) 

39 minutes ago, KathyC said:

Oasis Dec 8, 2019 $59 a day (20% off)

Allure May 24, 2020 $60 a day (20% off)

Empress Aug 17, 2020 - no price listed yet

Anthem Dec 8, 2020 $52 a day (20% off) 

The comment above was for the Key that is extra high on Quantum and Oasis class (from what I'm seeing for Anthem and Lovetocruise2002's comment on Harmony)...at $50 CAD vs $33 CAD.

Our DBP is extra high on Navigator and Anthem at 86 CAD (or $65 USD).  Mariner is no longer showing as it's offline at the moment and Harmony isn't showing yet.  Adventure is a little less (but still increased to $$).

I guess another pattern for the $65 USD pricing...anything with CoCo Cay has higher drink packages (which also includes internet if get the bundled voom package)?  Our Adventure cruise is the only one that does not stop there and it is the "cheaper" one.

1 hour ago, WannaCruise said:

I guess another pattern for the $65 USD pricing...anything with CoCo Cay has higher drink packages (which also includes internet if get the bundled voom package)?  Our Adventure cruise is the only one that does not stop there and it is the "cheaper" one.

Doesn’t seem to be. I’m on a 5-day Bermuda-only sailing and have that extra-high DBP price. Maybe they’re also bumping it on short sailings, but wouldn’t buy that unless I saw it across the board for the 3- and 4-night sailings Mariner and Navigator now do.

Yep. I noticed it yesterday for my September sailing on Anthem. I got it at $49 luckily, but the base price I calculated was also $81 or $82 a person. Was difficult to get exact because of that weird thing they do with BOGO half off. 

I was totally shocked. Never thought the base price would rise. I immediately texted a cruise virgin buddy who is joining saying "please tell me you got the package when I said" ... LOL ... He did, phew! 

7 hours ago, kuruczpa said:

I don't think The Key is worth it at $38/day - is this USD or CAD by the way? We are Canadian and still waiting for The Key to hit our cruise planner... I was hoping for the cheap $19.99 USD price but from the sounds of things I don't think we are going to get it at that price like a lot of other people have.

This is USD (!!!) No, thank you. For that price I might as well hold out for a RoyalUp offer and try to spend the same money on a suite, esp since that only charges the first 2 passengers.

On the plus side, I did book far enough out to get the $18 drink pkg, as well as the $8.99 soda + VOOM for the kids. I’ll be cruising without my husband with our tween/teenage boys so that last deal was a must, lol. 

9 hours ago, Tim B. said:

The less people buy these cruise items at the higher prices it will force them to bring prices down to the level in which people will pay for them or the reverse will happen and people will pay these higher prices which will encourage RCI to see where the prices stop people from buying. It's capitalism at its finest and I have no problem with that; I choose to not buy it at these prices and that's my right as a consumer.

This is exactly it. As long as people keep paying they will keep pushing the price.

9 hours ago, Tim B. said:

22 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

This is exactly it. As long as people keep paying they will keep pushing the price.

Don't forget, though, that only a couple percent of passengers on any given sailing actually buy the package. Not to say that Royal doesn't still have desired quotas that can be impacted by bad pricing strategy, but when you're talking a Freedom or Quantum-size 4,500-4,700 passenger ship that means only around 150, maybe 200 passengers on each sailing are buying it. Losing 15 or 20 passengers (10%) is a drop in what's already a kind of small bucket at that point. They'd probably have to see a reduction of 40% or 50% uptake across multiple sailings and dates before deciding they'd crossed a threshold. Given that folks like us who know to watch the pricing and not just "choke it down" if we want it are in the minority of buyers, Royal may continue to see a decent number who do go and "choke it down" so they have it instead of paying the on-board a la carte prices.

BOGO is showing for my Harmony cruise as $55/day...it was $52/day with the 20% off deal..so at 25% off its now $55 a day..I guess that would put it at about $65/day if there was no sale..wow...

I cant wait for all these price increases to blow up in their face...at some point it will reach the breaking point.....it cant keep going up like that without something giving...