Chef's Table

Pen

It does seem like Chef's Table has gone to a semi-standardized menu across the fleet. Some of us here are less than thrilled over that, because it means we'll just end up having more or less the same thing on a different ship where we were expecting something distinctive based on the ship and her on-board chef. The menu I've now seen on a few recent live blogs has been:

• Scallops carpaccio appetizer
  • Maine lobster salad
  • Smoked tomato soup
  • Branzino and Filet Mignon entree (both served, two courses)
  • The World for dessert

Really hoping that Royal starts allowing some variety from this cookie-cutter menu, or Chef's Table is going to be not much more than an expensive "specialty restaurant" with a prix-fixe menu that only varies in the wine pairings served. Granted, a big part of the experience is the company you have at the table and of course those wine pairings. But when looking for a truly specialty meal, I kind of want it to be something that's at least somewhat off-menu, not "best of the fleet's menus".

All those of you who enjoy chef's table should be sure to comment on this on your end-of-cruise surveys. Maybe corporate will listen. I have never done it because I don't drink wine but I definitely agree that as a concept it should be the chef on the day that designs the menu and not some pen-pusher back in head office. 

I just checked the Chef's Table menu on Royal's app for my November sailing on Adventure. Here's what is listed:

• Pan-Roasted Scallops
  • Smoked Tomato Soup
  • Maine Lobster Salad
  • Choice of Grilled Scottish Salmon or Grilled Filet Mignon
  • Truffle Tagliatelle
  • Valrhona Chocolate Bar and Petits-Fours

Similar, but different.

Now, I understand I am a few months out and the menu may change, but I am really hoping it doesn't. This all sounds wonderful and my reservation has been made!

Fingers crossed Chef's Table isn't becoming cookie cutter!