Must-do’s in Key West

ashonthesea

Hi everyone! What are some things that you recommend to check out while in port at Key West? I have never been myself, but my dad has told me that I must go to Sloppy Joe’s for margaritas. Would also like to find a nice spot that has live music and somewhere with delicious key lime pie. ? What are your favorite activities/places in Key West?

10 hours ago, ashonthesea said:

Hi everyone! What are some things that you recommend to check out while in port at Key West? I have never been myself, but my dad has told me that I must go to Sloppy Joe’s for margaritas. Would also like to find a nice spot that has live music and somewhere with delicious key lime pie. ? What are your favorite activities/places in Key West?

We did a kind of foodie tour that took us around town and included a stop for key lime pie, it might have been called tastes of Key West or something.  You have time to shop or get a drink when you're done.  There is a hot sauce tasting stop that is a little different.

2 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

We did a kind of foodie tour that took us around town and included a stop for key lime pie, it might have been called tastes of Key West or something.  You have time to shop or get a drink when you're done.  There is a hot sauce tasting stop that is a little different.

I LOVE hot sauce, so I am all for a tasting shop. Thanks!

Depending on the time of day, Schooner Bar, Captain Tony's or Hogs' Breath would most likely fit the live music option.

There are a couple different trolley tour operators that will give you a tour of the island and let you hop on/off as you wish. A good way to sight see a bit. And you can get the obligatory tourist photo at the southernmost point. ?

Duval St. is the main shopping/restaurant/bar area, but try to get to some sights off of there if you want the "real" Key West, IMHO. If you're a history buff, the Hemingway Home, shipwreck museum or Truman's Little White House are all interesting. 

We did a trip to Key West in July and tried out several Key Lime Pies while we were there. Our favorite was Kermits (they have a few locations around town, one very close to the port) with the Key Lime Pie Co. as a close 2nd. Nearly all of the restaurants and bars we passed had live music at some point so that should be easy for you to find. 

We second Kermits for the Key Lime Pie.  Ask anyone and they will direct you. Easily within walking distance of the ship.

We also went to the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum.   …. DH and I were standing there reading one of the narratives.... the lighting is slightly dim so it took a while. A kid came up and pinched DH.  He thought he was an exhibit.  That kid JUMPED!   funny.   Still makes us laugh.  ?