Formal night vs. Chops...

kittysoul

I bought the Chops+ one package for our Harmony cruise.  According to the rules of this , you go ahead and make the reservations for the Chops meal on either night 1 or night 2.   At first, I had picked night 1, but then I got to wondering if that was a bad idea since there are the safety drill things, and getting luggage and all that on day 1, and so I changed it to night 2.  Then I started to wonder, if we would be missing out on something if we chose to go on one of the MDR's formal nights..?  Can someone give me some advice of what would be the best thing to do here?   

The dress code is always more relaxed the first night for the luggage reason.  I haven't MDR'd in a long time so I'm not sure what you may miss on a formal night except for lobster maybe, but I believe that would be the second format night. 

Are you MTD or traditional dining?  Traditional dining I may be worried about missing the first night as that's your first exposure to the wait staff that you'll have all week.

4 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

The dress code is always more relaxed the first night for the luggage reason.  I haven't MDR'd in a long time so I'm not sure what you may miss on a formal night except for lobster maybe, but I believe that would be the second format night. 

Are you MTD or traditional dining?  Traditional dining I may be worried about missing the first night as that's your first exposure to the wait staff that you'll have all week.

I picked MTD....  so i guess that really doesnt matter either way?  Right now it is set for 2nd night... i guess I will just leave it then..  when is the second formal night... is it the last night or 2nd to last night?  We will just try to make it to that one...

12 hours ago, kittysoul said:

I bought the Chops+ one package for our Harmony cruise.  According to the rules of this , you go ahead and make the reservations for the Chops meal on either night 1 or night 2.   At first, I had picked night 1, but then I got to wondering if that was a bad idea since there are the safety drill things, and getting luggage and all that on day 1, and so I changed it to night 2.  Then I started to wonder, if we would be missing out on something if we chose to go on one of the MDR's formal nights..?  Can someone give me some advice of what would be the best thing to do here?   

On the first formal night, the cruises I've been on serve duck. On the 2nd formal night (like day 5 or 6), it is lobster tail (typically).  Both are special for me, so I eat in the MDR those nights.  But I've read threads about ordering food from the MDR when you are a specialty restaurant.  In fact, I know folks have ordered lobster tail from the MDR while eating night 6 in specialty restaurants.  The experts can address that for you.

It boils down to what you want to eat.  My wife ordered filet mingon in Chops, which isn't available in the MDR unless you pay an upcharge.

We purposely book Chops (or whatever) on the formal nights so we don't have to get too dressy. We are Jeans and T-Shirt kind of people and at this point in our cruising career, we like to dress nice but over the formal night ordeal. We have also been known to enjoy fine dining in the Windjammer on formal nights :). That's us, we feel like we aren't missing anything different. (For the record, we aren't even really dining room people.)

On 8/10/2019 at 11:16 AM, sk8erguy1978 said:

We purposely book Chops (or whatever) on the formal nights so we don't have to get too dressy. We are Jeans and T-Shirt kind of people and at this point in our cruising career, we like to dress nice but over the formal night ordeal. We have also been known to enjoy fine dining in the Windjammer on formal nights :). That's us, we feel like we aren't missing anything different. (For the record, we aren't even really dining room people.)

What a great idea, thank you.  My husband was so uncomfortable with his tie during our last cruise, and with my foot injury, I was worried about not wearing nice sandals with a dress or dress pants.  

On 8/10/2019 at 2:12 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes, you can definitely ask your specialty restaurant waiter to bring you anything that they are serving in the MDR that evening.   You can also ask the waiter to bring you something from a different specialty restaurant but I don’t overuse this amenity. 

This answered my next question!  We only have one specialty dining restaurant in mind, and we actually like the food in the MDR.  We tried to figure out which night would be best since we would miss our favorite appetizer, entree and or/dessert! 

I had no idea you could do this?  I certainly wouldn't request it more than once.  The waiters have so much on their hands already (pun intended ...lol), and I'd hate to have them run to the MDR kitchen for our request ? 

Just to confirm, this is for all RCI ships, and it is vice versa?  MDR - Specialty Dining?

34 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Yes, should be all ships, typically not vice versa, as an example, they will bring a chops steak to the MDR, but there is an upcharge.

Thank you.  I meant if I was in the MDR, but wanted the red velvet cake from Chops, or if I was in Chops, and I wanted the baked Alaska from the MDR.  

I hope that's not too confusing ... lol

I'd feel bad asking our waiter either way, but we're still trying to decide which night to forgo in the MDR, and this would solve our foodie issue!

4 hours ago, raahc said:

Thank you.  I meant if I was in the MDR, but wanted the red velvet cake from Chops, or if I was in Chops, and I wanted the baked Alaska from the MDR.  

I hope that's not too confusing ... lol

I'd feel bad asking our waiter either way, but we're still trying to decide which night to forgo in the MDR, and this would solve our foodie issue!

No, I would not be expect this to work in reverse.  If you are dining in a specialty restaurant they will bring a lobster tail to you there (as long as it is already being served in the MDR) but I would not expect them to bring anything from a specialty restaurant (such as red velvet cake) to the MDR.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

No, I would not be expect this to work in reverse.  If you are dining in a specialty restaurant they will bring a lobster tail to you there (as long as it is already being served in the MDR) but I would not expect them to bring anything from a specialty restaurant (such as red velvet cake) to the MDR.

Thank you for clarifying, even if it sounded strange ...lol

Much appreciated!