Disembark Day Flight Time

I know this question gets asked often, so I apologize for asking it yet again and not remembering the answer. ?. I’m booking our flight home for disembarkation day, and I’m curious what the absolute latest time people generally get off the boat?  I don’t want to be panicked or rushed, so an idea of the latest time would be helpful.  

TIA!

A little more info would help... what port / ship are you sailing on and where are you flying out of?
Typically, I would say most cruises that arrive back on time, and start to disembark on time.... lets say, 7am.... they are probably done by 9 or 930 ish?

But in general, if you are arriving back in port first thing in the morning... depending on the airport and your circumstances, most people recommend not booking any flights before 11am or noon-ish. 

But once again, there are a lot of variables that go into this. 

Just remember its always better to be 2 hours early than 2 mins late when it comes to travel arrangements. 

28 minutes ago, Linda216 said:

Thanks everyone!  I’m getting off a ship in Miami and thinking about a 2pm flight out of fort Myers. Off at 10am at the latest, puts us at the airport around 12:30pm.  Thinking that should work well.  Lmk if I’m missing something...I know you guys have all the ins and outs on this stuff. 

How are you getting to Ft. Myers from Miami?  According to Google Maps that drive is a solid 2-hour drive across the state with zero traffic or incidents and that requires using the express toll road lanes.  

1 minute ago, AshleyDillo said:

solid 2-hour drive across the state with zero traffic or incidents

I'll defer to the Florida folks on how bad the traffic is but the plan sounds very stressful to me.  The only way I'd attempt that is if I did the self-assist disembark.   I personally wouldn't be getting off the ship at 1000 and relying on smooth traffic to get over to Fort Meyers.  I don't live in SOuth Florida but I've had to travel there enough for work to know that traffic is not good.   

1 minute ago, mbk999 said:

I'll defer to the Florida folks on how bad the traffic is but the plan sounds very stressful to me.  The only way I'd attempt that is if I did the self-assist disembark.   I personally wouldn't be getting off the ship at 1000 and relying on smooth traffic to get over to Fort Meyers.  I don't live in SOuth Florida but I've had to travel there enough for work to know that traffic is not good.   

If absolutely everything goes smoothly, you have the toll transponder and get out of the Miami metro without any issues then it's an easy 2-2.5 hour drive across "alligator alley".  Pretty dull drive with the occasional sighting of gator roadkill ?.  But that haul across the middle of the state is usually the calmest part.  Unfortunately it runs through Big Cypress preserve so it's effectively a "rural" stretch..meaning if there's a serious accident that blocks the road there aren't many exits where you can get off the interstate and reroute.  

I think 2pm is fine, especially since RSW is a smaller airport and shouldn't have TSA backups and such.  But I also have flexibility on my side when I travel that it wouldn't be the end of the world if I missed a flight.  I could give up more time off work in an emergency situation and more money if the cost was on me to reschedule last minute because of a missed flight.  I wouldn't rush off the ship at the first chance, but I wouldn't hang out as long as possible either waiting to be kicked out.  I'd want to get to my end destination with as much leeway as possible to allow for any potential disruptions along the way.

@AshleyDillo that’s great, specific info.... the other posts make me reconsider the 2pm flight somewhat though.  Sounds like it’s possible but maybe not ideal.  I could do a 4:30pm but price is higher by a good chunk.  Ahhh...the numbers game.  The later flight is non stop too...so I might have to convince my husband it’s worth a bit more to be less rushed and non stop.   

Thanks all!  

1 hour ago, Linda216 said:

@AshleyDillo that’s great, specific info.... the other posts make me reconsider the 2pm flight somewhat though.  Sounds like it’s possible but maybe not ideal.  I could do a 4:30pm but price is higher by a good chunk.  Ahhh...the numbers game.  The later flight is non stop too...so I might have to convince my husband it’s worth a bit more to be less rushed and non stop.   

Thanks all!  

Pinging @Jolly Ogre for additional input.

1 hour ago, Linda216 said:

Thanks all!  

Have you priced the flights out of RSW against the ones from MIA, FLL or even PBI? 

When you factor in the cost to get to RSW it may be cheaper to fly from a closer airport.  Plus you can't really put a cost on peace of mind.  

I play the numbers game whenever I cruise as I'm not quite close enough to any port, despite living in Florida, to not have additional costs to get to the ship.  The airlines really manage to get you good..dangling the cheap fares out of the time comfort zone.