Requesting food from different specialty restaurants

CarlaB

Hi everyone - we’re sailing on Anthem in Nov. and we only plan on dining at Jamie’s for our specialty dining pick ( @Lovetocruise2002 live blog pictures have me drooling). We only eat seafood/vegetarian mainly so Chops and Wonderland would be a bust and Jamie’s was the only specialty dining that interested me and the fam anyway. The only thing that I would really love to try from Wonderland is “the world” because I’ve seen so many posters here rave about that and post amazing pictures.  

So my question is - can you request a dish from another specialty restaurant while having dinner at a different specialty restaurant. For instance, if we were having dinner at Jamie’s, would I be able to request a dessert from Wonderland?

I don’t want to make the staff run around if the restaurants aren’t close together and it’s too much of a bother but I’ve read here how waiters brought appetizers/entrees, etc from a different specialty restaurant without being asked. (I believe it was @JLMoran who mentioned in a live blog that a waiter brought dishes over from Chops for his wife. Sounds like you had amazing service and a great waiter on Anthem! Maybe you would be the best person to answer this.) 

One option might be a dessert only visit to Wonderland. I recall hearing they'll do "the world" alone for $10.

Other thing is it would be best to ask at Jamie's prior to the reservation/seating if they could accommodate. That way they could have things prepared/on hand to an extent. 

Since you said you mostly eat seafood and vegetarian, Wonderland might actually be a great option for you. Their menu on Anthem is heavily slanted towards seafood along with some vegetable options, and only one chicken and one beef entree, plus one egg-based appetizer.

As @twangster noted, it never hurts to ask. But I don’t know that my past situation is the best example to draw on. Our situation was a bit on the extreme side, and we were indeed lucky to have a waiter who I think was fairly new and very eager to leave a really good impression.

One other option to consider if you don’t want Wonderland is to splurge for Chef’s Table. Also more heavily seafood-focused, though it seems the menu lately is adding filet as a regular course instead of as a choice alongside fish.

1 hour ago, CGTLH said:

One option might be a dessert only visit to Wonderland. I recall hearing they'll do "the world" alone for $10.

Other thing is it would be best to ask at Jamie's prior to the reservation/seating if they could accommodate. That way they could have things prepared/on hand to an extent. 

Ooh I didn’t know you could get dishes a la carte  at Wonderland. I assumed you had to have the entire sit down meal there. I’ll definitely inquire about this on board. I’ll happily pay the $10 just to try it. Thanks!! 

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Since you said you mostly eat seafood and vegetarian, Wonderland might actually be a great option for you. Their menu on Anthem is heavily slanted towards seafood along with some vegetable options, and only one chicken and one beef entree, plus one egg-based appetizer.

As @twangster noted, it never hurts to ask. But I don’t know that my past situation is the best example to draw on. Our situation was a bit on the extreme side, and we were indeed lucky to have a waiter who I think was fairly new and very eager to leave a really good impression.

One other option to consider if you don’t want Wonderland is to splurge for Chef’s Table. Also more heavily seafood-focused, though it seems the menu lately is adding filet as a regular course instead of as a choice alongside fish.

All great options if the hubby and I were alone but we’re bringing our two little ones and I know they likely won’t appreciate any of the offerings at Wonderland/Chefs table ?. I’ll see if I can sneak on over to Wonderland alone one night and just order the World for myself off the menu. 

When I have asked for something from one of the other specialty restaurants (or from the MDR door that matter), I have never been denied but I also always recognized that they were going out of their way to accommodate me and that they could easily have said “no”.

I will also add that, with the exception of asking for a lobster tail from the MDR, my extra-restaurant requests have always been either appetizers (mushroom soup from Chops) or desserts (RVC from Chops).  I have never requested an entree from another specialty. 

1 hour ago, Fairlynew said:

I am a somewhat unadventurous eater, so I am not sure Wonderland is a good choice for me

If you like seafood you're really not going way out on a limb with Wonderland. They just do some interesting things with the regular kinds of offerings.

• Instead of a crab roll with wasabi on the side, they take the crab and mix it with the wasabi so it can be put inside a little conical crispy "roll" in the same vein as cannoli filling.
  • Instead of regular breaded shrimp, you get a shrimp that has had a long "noodle" of dough wrapped around it and deep fried to look like it's in a bird nest.
  • Instead of a bowl of lobster bisque, you get a single chunk of (very good) lobster meat on a large spoon with the soup base
  • Rather than tuna sashimi presented as a couple pieces on a plate, the tuna has been minced and placed on flavored ice (sorbet?) in a hollowed-out lime to then spoon onto a cracker
  • etc

In some ways I enjoyed the different take on how to present a particular item (that tuna tartare was quite good, as was the shrimp in birds nest), and in others it was disappointing. From the descriptions in the menu and of the restaurant overall, I was expecting this to be a foray into "molecular gastronomy" with some really out there stuff. The closest that got was the tomato water they serve at the beginning as a palate cleanser. It's really more like a seafood smorgasbord with some alternative presentation, plus your choice of entree and then the amazing desserts.