Hi there! I'm going on Symphony of the Seas next month and my DH & I were contemplating whether or not we should each use airplane approved carry-on size suitcases or just the standard size checked luggage. 

We like the aspect of getting off the plane quickly and also being able to hold on to everything we'll need for the cruise BUT we also would like to explore the ship and take a dip in the pool on embarkation day without having to lug around our suitcases. In the event we do go the small carry-on sized suitcase (22") route, are we allowed to give it to the porters when we get to the ship? Or do they only take really large suitcases?

Has anyone ever given the porters their carry-on sized suitcases? Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

I have given a carry on size suit case to the porters. Come to think of it, my son's suit case is about that size too, and we will be giving his to the porters in a few weeks.

Oh great! That definitely puts me at ease. Thank you and I hope you guys have a wonderful cruise! 

22 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Just so you have a second data point — did a 5-night Cruise last year, wife and I each used only a carry-on size for our stuff. Checked both with the porters and just used a small backpack to carry around stuff we wanted with us after boarding.

Thanks, I appreciate that! Great to know this is actually a thing, we plan to just carry a small backpack as well. 

9 hours ago, KathyC said:

We only cruise with carry-on size.  Unless we know we're bringing back locally made products - aka adult beverages - which we will have to check.  Then we bring the big ones. 

We have a 5 night in February that I'm going to try carry on only again. With kids though, my bag usually gets the overflow stuff. 

I have another question about this.  I was thinking about doing a carry on only too. 

Can I carry that suitcase on the ship without giving it to the porters?  I purchased the KEY so I could drop it of when I get on the ship.  Is there a size limit that you can carry on the ship?

1 minute ago, TravisMA81 said:

I have another question about this.  I was thinking about doing a carry on only too. 

Can I carry that suitcase on the ship without giving it to the porters?  I purchased the KEY so I could drop it of when I get on the ship.  Is there a size limit that you can carry on the ship?

Yes, you're free to take your carry-on suitcase with you on board. It will have to go through the x-ray scanner at security, but after that you're good to go. Since you have the key and can do on-board drop-off there's no compelling reason to use the porters.

10 hours ago, melmar02 said:

We have a 5 night in February that I'm going to try carry on only again. With kids though, my bag usually gets the overflow stuff. 

My kids, now 20 & 22, have been cruising since they were 2 & 4.  You only can bring what fits in your bag.  End of story.  Mom's bag is for mom! 

21 hours ago, cottoncandysunsets25 said:

Hi there! I'm going on Symphony of the Seas next month and my DH & I were contemplating whether or not we should each use airplane approved carry-on size suitcases or just the standard size checked luggage. 

We like the aspect of getting off the plane quickly and also being able to hold on to everything we'll need for the cruise BUT we also would like to explore the ship and take a dip in the pool on embarkation day without having to lug around our suitcases. In the event we do go the small carry-on sized suitcase (22") route, are we allowed to give it to the porters when we get to the ship? Or do they only take really large suitcases?

Has anyone ever given the porters their carry-on sized suitcases? Thanks in advance!

Just have a back pack with anything you need for roaming around the ship after embarking. You should be able to check in the small luggages to be delivered directly to your room.

10 hours ago, TravisMA81 said:

Can I carry that suitcase on the ship without giving it to the porters

Sorry Travis, but, why? Dragging a suit case though the check in process will slow you and folks behind you down. Give your baggage to the porter and a couple of dollars, keep you important stuff in a backpack, get on board and start your vacation. :27_sunglasses:

@Rob&Ana smart idea! I had never actually thought to go later. I see this as a great advantage on the cruises where we drive to the port. We are have more control of our time them. We are typically get there early and get on fast folks but when I really think about it all we do is get lunch and wait for the rooms to open up and then wait for luggage to unpack. So whats the point of being there early??? You may have turned me onto something here. Thanks!

3 hours ago, whenismynextcruise said:

when I really think about it all we do is get lunch and wait for the rooms to open up and then wait for luggage to unpack. So whats the point of being there early???

I guess it depends on your personal embarkation day goals. For me, getting there early means:

• I get a chance to explore the ship if it's a new one to me, and start learning the layout
  • I know I've beaten the crowds to the specialty dining / CK reservation desk
  • I can head over to the Solarium with swim clothes already on, throw the regular clothes in my backpack, and enjoy the hot tub or pool or shallow-water loungers (Anthem's solarium) -- #2019cruisegoals
  • I can enjoy an embarkation day lava flow or margarita while I'm doing said pool lounging -- #2019cruisegoals
  • I've gotten vacation started a few hours earlier, and (at least with Cape Liberty) beaten the insane traffic that builds up after around 11:30 AM and continues until scarily close to muster drill time

5 hours ago, whenismynextcruise said:

So whats the point of being there early???

Add to what @JLMoran and @rjac have said, getting there early allows you to avoid the port traffic congestion that always occurs as you show up later (not just at Cape Liberty).  In addition, you have already paid for Day 1 so why would you not want to take advantage of it more?  You didn't pay to sleep in or hang out in a hotel or sit in traffic right?

Also, I have found with the last few cruises, when we show up at the terminal at 10am, our luggage is at our cabin by about 1:30pm.