Forward or Aft

Just now, Momof4crazytocruise said:

I have no specific preference, but I have family members who complain (significantly) about the vibrations from the engines in the aft. 

Yes, I was going to say it depends on what deck your are on.  I would go with forward if on a lower deck and aft for mid-decks and higher.

Haven't yet stayed in an aft or forward cabin, but I can say that when I sailed Anthem last October and we had a day of rough seas, I spent 90 minutes in CK (almost all the way aft) and only really started reacting to the motion of the ship at the end of dinner. Went back to my cabin (which was mid-ship), got over the motion and then went almost all the way forward on the same deck to the Solarium to use the hot tubs one last time. Lasted only 20-30 minutes before I was green around the gills again, and feeling it a lot worse. And all that time, when the ship hit a big wave you felt it.

So, take that for what it's worth. I'm thinking if I ever can't get a mid-ship cabin I'll be looking aft before I look forward.

We sailed aft on a different cruise line from NYC to Caribbean, wife got sick and had trouble shaking it. It wasn't until I dragged her out of the cabin to a lower deck mid ship did she recover. On another cruise (forget if it was Liberty or Explorer) we had some rough-ish seas and I decided to use the elliptical in the gym (all the way forward) and almost fell off a few times.

So, not too much help, but personally feel either way you're feeling it more, might as well take aft for the views.

We've stayed very, very forward (right at the very front) and the motion was extremely noticeable that cruise.  My daughter and I are normally sensitive to motion and we take something and we're good to go.  That cruise on Indy, where our cabin was at the very front, even meds did not help too much.  That was probably the worst sailing I have been on as far as motion goes.

We've stayed as far aft as where the Lofts are on Deck 17 on OA class.  Like others have said, I noticed more vibrations there but not the swaying that you get from the front.  

Given the two, I would rather take aft over forward.  That being said, we have the Panoramic suite booked on Adventure next July.  Worried about the motion but for the price we got, I am willing to take another chance with it.  And there are not many sea days on that sailing anyway.

• 1 month later...

I prefer being in the aft myself.  We hung out in the forward section for a few hours with some friends this last cruise and must have hit some rougher seas.  By the time we left to go back to our room I felt drunk.  I even had a hard time walking at first.  I felt way better when I got back to the cabin which was all the way aft.  Ill take some vibration over that motion any day.

My wife & I used to live on a 36’ boat.  In 2017 we sailed on Jewel OTS & booked the forward most cabin on Deck 9 specifically for the motion to ‘rock us to sleep.’  Big disappointment; didn’t feel a thing!  However, eating in the MDR, towards the aft of the boat, with the motion we felt there, we had to fight to keep awake during our dinners!!!  Go figure!

We will be sailing on Celebrity Reflection next April, and I booked the aft most cabin on Deck 10.  Will see how that compares.  This cabin is on the starboard side and we’ve always been high up on the port side in all our previous cruises.  So, other than the height, quite a departure from our norm.

I'm a fan of forward.  I never experienced motion sickness when forward, but when I've been aft... woo nelly.  No clue why, maybe its because I had ONE bout of motion sickness aft and that was enough to poison my mind towards aft.  And I LOVE wake views.  

I think also with forward maybe for me its a little more tolerable with the motion because of the amount of moving air you get.  Anytime I've stayed aft I dont get that big in your face breeze.  But maybe that's me.  I love me some breeze to get over the motion sickness.

Now all of this said, I wouldnt take an inside cabin forward or aft.  My motion sickness couldnt handle it.  

On 8/8/2019 at 12:34 PM, cdixon22 said:

Hi -

I know mid ship is the best location to minimized the rocking motion but what is the second best, Forward or Aft if mid is not an option?

If given only the choice of forward or aft, I would likely choose aft. We had an aft balcony and loved it. I won't lie, there is definitely more motion than mid-ship...