Sushi class?

kittysoul

We did this on Oasis last year on a sea day and really enjoyed the morning.  Met in Izumi at 10AM and made 3 different types of Sushi.  The chef is always available to assist and provide tips and your finished product becomes your lunch for that day.  They did not allow us to take unconsumed sushi out of the restaurant, so it was a big lunch and many could not finish all that they made.  Overall, I would recommend.

We’ve done this class twice now (once on Grandeur and once on Anthem as a gift from our Genie).  Both classes were the same. They help you prepare a nigiri, a roll and one of those funnel-shaped things.

For the first class, I followed sensei and made the sushi as he instructed. I was pretty terrible. Stuff fell out the ends of the roll and my shrimp did not stay with the rice for the nigiri. I shudder at the thought of my funnel-thing. It was horrible.  It was at this point that I realized that I really just DO NOT like that nasty seaweed (forget the name of it) that they use in the rolls...and the funnel thing.

...so for my second class, I went rogue.  I shoved that seaweed right back at ‘em.  I made my roll without it !  Ha !  Of course, it was pitifully “flaccid” and you could only move it by pushing it along the plate, but by God I did not use that icky seaweed and it tasted GREAT !  The shrimp still did not stick to the rice like it’s supposed to. Haven't figured that one out yet.  I completely ignored the sensei when he started doing the funnel-thing and created another roll (I had to steal some rice from off the sensei’s table b/c I had used all of mine) so I had another limp roll to push around. 

So the moral of this incredibly long sushi-saga is....do what you want to and have fun with it.  If you don’t like the seaweed (and who would ?  Ick !) just tell them you have a seaweed allergy. 

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We’ve done this class twice now (once on Grandeur and once on Anthem as a gift from our Genie).  Both classes were the same. They help you prepare a nigiri, a roll and one of those funnel-shaped things.

For the first class, I followed sensei and made the sushi as he instructed. I was pretty terrible. Stuff fell out the ends of the roll and my shrimp did not stay with the rice for the nigiri. I shudder at the thought of my funnel-thing. It was horrible.  It was at this point that I realized that I really just DO NOT like that nasty seaweed (forget the name of it) that they use in the rolls...and the funnel thing.

...so for my second class, I went rogue.  I shoved that seaweed right back at ‘em.  I made my roll without it !  Ha !  Of course, it was pitifully “flaccid” and you could only move it by pushing it along the plate, but by God I did not use that icky seaweed and it tasted GREAT !  The shrimp still did not stick to the rice like it’s supposed to. Haven't figured that one out yet.  I completely ignored the sensei when he started doing the funnel-thing and created another roll (I had to steal some rice from off the sensei’s table b/c I had used all of mine) so I had another limp roll to push around. 

So the moral of this incredibly long sushi-saga is....do what you want to and have fun with it.  If you don’t like the seaweed (and who would ?  Ick !) just tell them you have a seaweed allergy. 

haha!!  You are awesome, you sushi rebel you!  I appreciate that tip..and i might just follow suit......  I love sushi, but am very particular/picky about it... whereas my son will eat just about anything they give him  as far as sushi...(i like to call him a seal )...  I particularly do NOT like anything eel related... maybe its partly just because they are creepy, but I don't like eel at all!   I tend to stick to the tuna...salmon... shrimp...crab... and veggie creations lol    About how many people are in each class??  

Of course, it was pitifully “flaccid” and you could only move

Unfortunately this isn't my first dealing with reading this today (job related)

I shoved that seaweed right back at ‘em.

Wonder if they have soy paper. You could still make a roll without nori.

14 minutes ago, kittysoul said:

I particularly do NOT like anything eel related.

Same. Not even the sauce.

We attended the class on Ovation in May and loved it. It is one of those rare cruise activities I can say felt like a "good deal". After completeing the three sushi items, there was a good amount to eat, making the class well worth the price considering the price of sushi per roll. We learned a lot, were given the recipes to make our own once home, took some great pictures in our chef hats and left armed to be "great sushi chefs". I kid, but we have made sushi together once since returning and that is something we had never done before! I (We) highly recommend the class. Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

My husband has done this class four times, Harmony, Adventure, Serenade & Grandeur.  Each one was different in what he made, the amount of sushi, what was served with the class (beverage) and the price.  But all were fun!  I joined in on Grandeur, and since I don't eat seafood they gave me a different "paper" - I think it was soy.  I tried to tell them I didn't have an allergy just choose not to eat it, but they treated me like it was an allergy anyway. 

On 8/8/2019 at 1:12 PM, kittysoul said:

I particularly do NOT like anything eel related

On 8/8/2019 at 1:27 PM, ellcee said:

Same. Not even the sauce.

On 8/8/2019 at 1:32 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

That makes 3 of us !

Other side of the coin here. Many years ago we allowed our host of a dinner at a NYC restaurant to order for us. He wouldn't tell us what it was until after we tasted it. Turns out it was eel. I LOVED it then and still do.

18 minutes ago, Skid said:

it was eel. I LOVED it then and still do.

Same here. I'm clearly "out there" when it comes to sushi preferences, because my favorites are:

• Sea Urchin (although I've learned there are two different types, one WAY better than the other)
  • Eel
  • Mackerel
  • Salmon Roe
  • Flying Fish Roe

Of course, the ships serve none of those except for eel because they need to stick to the "safe" stuff they can be sure to clear out of their inventory frequently. Which begs the question why they do serve octopus; that's something even the higher-end sushi places near where I live don't serve, and I don't blame them. I don't actively dislike it, but there's just nothing particularly enjoyable about eating it either and I find it weird to include that in a menu that otherwise sticks so closely to the "safe" end of the spectrum.

I may sign up for the sushi class this Anthem sailing, instead of going to Izumi for lunch like I did last trip. Depends on whether Royal gets the drink package to the price I'm willing to pay (which will use up my planned budget).

6 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Same here. I'm clearly "out there" when it comes to sushi preferences

Actually, I do like the eel sushi choices, however the meal I spoke of was cooked in a paella/stew type pot in one of the best sauces I have tasted. Yummy! Now I'm hungry!

Here is a picture of our sushi class.  It was very basic sushi.  Crab, shrimp and I can’t remember what was in the hand roll, maybe spicy tuna? 

33F8CC17-36CF-4C6D-BE9A-D6DDDDADD16D.thumb.jpeg.b159347e6485e206e3c60b696afccd29.jpeg

Three of us did the class.  It was fun but I don’t know if I’d do it again.  This was the only time I’ve eaten sushi on a ship.  I’m a bit leery of the fish freshness.  Our local sushi place has fish flown in several times a week so I’m a bit spoiled with incredible sushi. 

12 minutes ago, melski94 said:

Here is a picture of our sushi class.  It was very basic sushi.  Crab, shrimp and I can’t remember what was in the hand roll, maybe spicy tuna? 

Was that your plate or the "this is how it should look" demo plate?  Looks like you did a super job..great presentation!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did the class on Enchantment in February this year -- it was a BLAST!  There were about 10-12 people in the class; we all washed our hands first, and then had little "stations" set up on tables.  The Sensei showed us how to do it, and then talked us through it.  I think it would be ideal for anyone who's interested in sushi but is intimidated by it (that's me!).  After we were done, I couldn't eat all of mine, but they provided me one of the dish covers and I took it back to our cabin so my husband could try some of my "masterpieces!"

Sushi Class 2.jpg

Did it last year.  Like everyone else said, lots of fun and lots to eat.  Best part is after we ate, our group of 10 got a private tour of the galley!  It was so much fun to see all the different cooking area, meet some of the chefs and see the massive operation in action.  It was so clean and everyone was so nice!