Favorites at Windjammer

ashonthesea

1 hour ago, ashonthesea said:

Let’s hear your favorites! What’s been your favorite meal/food/dessert at the Windjammer? Was it something you already knew you liked, or was it something  new you tried while in your cruise? Do you have a favorite food theme night?

Any of the vegetarian Indian offerings. AND! The Pavlov (meringues) at the dessert area. 

11 hours ago, ashonthesea said:

Let’s hear your favorites! What’s been your favorite meal/food/dessert at the Windjammer? Was it something you already knew you liked, or was it something  new you tried while in your cruise? Do you have a favorite food theme night?

Paella, which I've usually seen on Day 1.   Roullade desserts, which I couldn't really find on Harmony last trip, or small "chocolate sensation" desserts.  I must also vote for a made-to-order omelette at breakfast.

As a picky eater....I love the cookies: chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, mudslide, etc. I also like the omelette station. On Adventure of the Seas last December, we received a pager so I wasn't waiting around for my omelette and was able to eat other food in the meantime. Also, their pasta is pretty good. I think it is because of all the olive oil. Their chicken burgers/sandwiches were really good, but I only found it during dinner time. Lastly, I love their french fries and their vegetables.

I do have to say though, the buffets on Celebrity Cruises are far superior to Royal Caribbean. Royal Caribbean has almost the same food every single day as opposed to Celebrity where they change it up, but still have all the staples.

1 hour ago, MelKaps said:

Royal Caribbean has almost the same food every single day

You can change this to Royal Caribbean has the exact same food every day if you're talking about breakfast. If you're really lucky, there might be enough folks of Indian descent on your sailing to get ONE item that changes daily.

I can't remember what they are called, but, every time I go into the Windjammer, I like to get these thin crispy chips that they have available. Fresh made and not potato or corn. I think they may even be apart of the "Gluten Free Corner". Anyone know/remember what these are?

1 hour ago, SPS said:

I can't remember what they are called, but, every time I go into the Windjammer, I like to get these thin crispy chips that they have available. Fresh made and not potato or corn. I think they may even be apart of the "Gluten Free Corner". Anyone know/remember what these are?

If they are over by the hot food section they may be papadum which are typically made with lentil or rice flour and can be gluten-free.

3 hours ago, MelKaps said:

Royal Caribbean has almost the same food every single day as opposed to Celebrity where they change it up, but still have all the staples.

If you go and do WJ reconnaissance every night, @Matt , you will notice that WJ has a different theme every night, this is also carried out some what during the day also, but I'm not the master, Matt is.

My last cruise everyone on the Anthem GC was doing a reconnaissance for Mongolian night for a certain individual @Lovetocruise2002.  

41 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

If you go and do WJ reconnaissance every night, @Matt , you will notice that WJ has a different theme every night, this is also carried out some what during the day also, but I'm not the master, Matt is.

My last cruise everyone on the Anthem GC was doing a reconnaissance for Mongolian night for a certain individual @Lovetocruise2002.  

Umm...we need clarification here...I am not #teamWJ!!!

But Hubby appreciates the recon ?

I’m not a buffet fan in general but I was intrigued by a mention of French night on someone’s blog.   I really like French cuisine.   Is this a “ regular “ menu in the windjammer?   If so, is it listed in the cruise compass?   Also, I’ve seen mention of a chocolate night-who doesn’t love that?   Is that listed in the compass?  

As always, Thanks!!!!

I generally go to the MDR or specialty dining for dinner and lunch. WJ is usually for breakfast for me and I love the made to order eggs. From observation, a lot of the galley staff are south asian (primarily of Indian and Pakistani) decent, hence the amount and quality of the Indian food - curries and papadum. 

We were on the Symphony in May. Normally, we don't eat dinner in the Windjammer but we did on the last night of the cruise. All the way in the back of the WJ they had this Mongolian type service where you pick out your ingredients for a stir fry and it was absolutely amazing. Actually, it was better than our local Mongolian restaurant. Three thumbs up!

As a Spaniard I can say that what is in WJ is not "Paella" but a kind of rice cooked with a lot of ingredients, far from what a real paella is. Let me say that "Paella" is the container in which the recipe is made. It would be more correct to say "rice in paella".
Well, there are many delicious things in WJ. On this last cruise in addition to the delicious burgers with all their fixins, I really liked Indian food and everything I could find in Avocado Station with different recipes every day.
There were also a couple of days with exceptional ice cream with a lot of toppings in which both my children and I enjoyed it very much.

We rarely eat dinner/supper in WJ but much to my wife's chagrin I do like to do a walk through after we eat dinner.  It seems that there is a theme to each nights dining which leads to different main dishes along with about half of what is available being the same every night.  Although my wife likes to eat in the MDR, I could easily find enough variety in WJ.  In fact some nights I actually see something that makes me wish I had eaten dinner at WJ.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

In that case, I've seen the Windjammer do apple pie "paella" ?  They really get some good use out of that super huge pan.

Is this what you are referring too? They served this on Grandeur of the Seas on one of the last sea days of a 9 day cruise. I couldn’t believe it!

7275DC75-B274-46D4-9BC3-8BF8EF212128.jpeg

4 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

We rarely eat dinner/supper in WJ but much to my wife's chagrin I do like to do a walk through after we eat dinner.  It seems that there is a theme to each nights dining which leads to different main dishes along with about half of what is available being the same every night.  Although my wife likes to eat in the MDR, I could easily find enough variety in WJ.  In fact some nights I actually see something that makes me wish I had eaten dinner at WJ.

So what's preventing you from grabbing a plate and eating the 2nd dinner there? ?

On 8/8/2019 at 9:20 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Boy I’m gonna hear about this one....but I actually like the hamburgers in the WJ. When I’m just looking for a “bite” I usually grab one.  While they don’t look all that appealing (I’ll concede that), they taste pretty good.  

I agree with you also but why is it that the condiments are before the burgers?  Based on the typical direction of the line.  Makes it odd to put your burger on a bun then go backward to the toppings