The Key

Has anyone heard if the "The Key" is going to continue into 2020? When calling RC they said the corporate offices hadn't decided yet if the program would continue. When I go into the Cruise Planner for our 2020 cruises "The Key" is not listed as an option (it appears and then disappears).

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

I have not heard of The Key going away. 

As it pertains to not showing for 2020 sailings, we're still pretty far out for it to be showing up for those sailings.

I doesn't show up for my January 2020 cruise either, unless it is sold out????

I just think it's way too early.  There's no rhyme or reason when things show up in the Cruise Planner.  All of the dining package options have been available for my Oct 2020 sailing since I booked it last Feb, but for my Symphony cruise in Feb 2020 there's still just Jamie's and the 3-night option (and that just showed up last week). Go figure.

I am having the same issue with a January 2020 Empress sailing.  The dining and beverage options just appeared about 2 weeks ago, still no excursions except Labadee, key, internet or anything other than a few of their "gifts" available.  It seems very random, but I know the things will eventually show up.

Actually the key wasn't there earlier today, but just showed up at $24.99.  Probably not worth it on this ship.

We are still waiting for The Key to show up for our February 16, 2020 cruise - I was hoping to get it at $19.99 but anything more than $24.99 doesn't seem worth it to me! The $31.99 and $37.99 price tags listed above seem ridiculous. But then again I suppose it's all about supply and demand. Hopefully no one buys it at those price points so the price drops.

I messaged them yesterday and was told the Key would appear 60-90 days before sailing. An hour later it was on my planner (250+ days out).  It's listed at $31.99. I paid 19.99 for an Oasis Class 7 night last May. This is a 12 night on a Voyager class...no way we will pay more than 24.99 for it.

It used to be that the facebook messenger group was very reliable. Lately it seems like they use stock answers whether or not it's applicable to your situation. Very unfortunate.

At the current price of $31.99 a nine night cruise would cost two of us $575. Voom for 2  Devices is listed at $23.98 (x9) would be $216

voom for 1 device is 12.99 (x9) totals $117 ( just want to be able to keep in touch with home).  Maybe on a shorter cruise with my teens (they would want voom and stream and use all the activities) this would be for us, this time I’ll put the $450 difference toward my Excursions.

On 8/10/2019 at 6:36 AM, kuruczpa said:

We are still waiting for The Key to show up for our February 16, 2020 cruise - I was hoping to get it at $19.99 but anything more than $24.99 doesn't seem worth it to me! The $31.99 and $37.99 price tags listed above seem ridiculous. But then again I suppose it's all about supply and demand. Hopefully no one buys it at those price points so the price drops.

Those are my exact calculations in my head of at what price point would I buy it.  Mine came available at $31.99 which if there is a 20% off sale it would be  $25.60 or if a 30% off sale it would be  $22.40. At either of those price points I would think about it because I am going to get Voom for one device anyways, and that is $111, so subtract that and my price is in the mid $200's and I could live with that.

I have had The Key once so far, and I loved the perks, but there are price points I find palatable and others not so much. At $31.99PP it is not a value to me.

19 hours ago, BunnyHutt said:

Dec 2020 Anthem has Key available now in the cruise planner... for the bargain price of $37.99. 

Sadly, people are probably paying that... I guess I would rather put the $1600 it would cost my family of 6 towards an upgraded cabin! At $20/day I considered it for my Enchantment cruise, but then decided it wasn't worth it because the perks on that ship just aren't there. 

I booked our first cruise ever for this past July last December,  watched the cruise planner almost every day and bought the key for $19.99 and the deluxe beverage package for $49 plus gratuities on Symphony.  I just booked a May 2020 cruise today on harmony today (thanks Stehpanie from MEI) and the key is $37.99 and the deluxe beverage package is $65 before gratuities.  No way I'll pay those prices, so I will be stalking the cruise planner for sure.

On 8/8/2019 at 6:39 AM, DanielB said:

I doesn't show up for my January 2020 cruise either, unless it is sold out????

The Key shows for my Symphony of the Seas Jan, 2020 on the cruise planner. If I recall correctly I saw it for $29 dollars /day per person. I can double check when I get home today if you're still interested.

Think the key is the greatest scam RCL has come up with. Selling to customer things that actually cost them nothing. Free lunch. The kitchen is cooking anyways. WiFi costs them nothing. Early on yep zilch. Early off you guessed it nothing. Time specified for attractions once again it is a zero. Workers are already there. So if they sell 200 of these on a cruise at 38 bucks it is 7600 a day. 53,200 a week and 212,800 a month. Almost a quarter of a million extra from just one ship a month   Not all ships have need for key but if 15 do that is 3.2 million per month. 38 million a year. All pure profit selling free stuff. 

1 hour ago, Louvanh said:

Think the key is the greatest scam RCL has come up with. Selling to customer things that actually cost them nothing. Free lunch. The kitchen is cooking anyways. WiFi costs them nothing. Early on yep zilch. Early off you guessed it nothing. Time specified for attractions once again it is a zero. Workers are already there. So if they sell 200 of these on a cruise at 38 bucks it is 7600 a day. 53,200 a week and 212,800 a month. Almost a quarter of a million extra from just one ship a month   Not all ships have need for key but if 15 do that is 3.2 million per month. 38 million a year. All pure profit selling free stuff. 

You have to think of it from their perspective too. At the end of the day they're a business and profiting not only benefits them but usas well. All the new features with the bell and whistles that comes with the newer ship pushed out or pushing out. The grand selection to find a ship to fit your budget and needs with prices varying if you're not content with it. I never cruised because my first one ever is in Jan, 2020 but I'd like to support them with my budget "if" possible.

Just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, Louvanh said:

I think it's value is based on what it is worth to the purchaser, not how much it costs RCCL.

This is all about what it costs RCL.  As more perks that came from loyalty cruisers get taken away they can now sell. So when given away to those who attained status it costs them in management and payroll. But now selling them and striping it from loyalty program it is a total win. The worst part of it all is you need to spend more to guarantee you can do things on board an oversold event. So when do you think it will end.  200 keys. 300 or 400. Pretty soon everyone will need the program. Then they can sell a super key and start all over. 

I snagged it for my solo cruise on Brilliance back in February for $19.99/day, but at that price it was basically VOOM, which I was getting anyways, plus twenty bucks for lunch at chops.  all the other perks were gravy.  Great value for what I needed, but it was like biting the forbidden fruit; haven't gotten it again on the next 3 cruises with the price increases and don't see the point. 

On 8/8/2019 at 3:26 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Most likely, they are still trying to figure out what they’re going to charge for The Key next year. That’s why drinks and dining packages aren’t published way out into the future.  

I just booked Freedom for September 2020.  The key is shown as well as drink prices and restaurant prices.  Even a lot of shore excursions are shown.  I'm sure things will change within the next 391 days though.

On 8/10/2019 at 6:36 AM, kuruczpa said:

As I mentioned on the 10th, the Key is still not up for our Feb 2020 cruise....

On 8/22/2019 at 7:17 PM, fonemanbob said:

To Key or NOT to Key.    NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    NOT getting  it.  NOT worth it.  NOT ever.   So much $ for so little.          SAVE your money.   PLEASE

Why would you be so concerned where someone else spends their money?  I can see why you wouldn't want to do it, but why plea for someone else not to? How could it possibly affect you?

I got it for last Feb's Mariner cruise. 4-day cruise, $19.99/day. If I eliminate what I would have paid for Voom, used my $25 OBC toward it, I basically paid $5-10 total for the rest of the perks (ummm....a nice embarkation day lunch?).  I enjoyed having my carry on waiting in my room when I finally had access to it.  Would I personally do it on every cruise? Certainly not.  But it's a fine deal on short sailings if it can be snagged at the lower prices.

It looks like Royal Caribbean has placed most if not all of the perks on The Key.  I’m on the Ovation as I post this.  Yesterday at check in, I did not see special access given to any of the Crown and Anchor levels.  It was all for those who purchased The Key.  I did see a sign for priority seating for C&A members Platinum and above but it was not as prominently displayed as the signs... yes plural... signs for The Key.

I assure you I did not go around asking, like Rose’s mother did on the Titanic, “Will the lifeboats be seated according to class?” But as a Platinum member, turning Emerald with this sailing, I kept asking myself, “What good does bring to be at these C&A levels? I don’t really feel rewarded for my loyalty.  RCCL has sold those “rewards” as The Key.”