Are Dubai 2019-2020 cruises going to be cancelled?

2 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Just think, Royal is making a killing on these. Cancelled cruises inside the "forget it you lost it$$$" window and then putting in NEW passengers into those cabins (even at reduced prices).

I had the same thought.......right after I thought that I would totally book that cruise if I had the time off and money for flights.

Still happy I cancelled our cruise.  Iran accidentally killed 176 passengers on a 737 they thought was a missile.  That's the fog of war.  It is inevitable that things will flare up again & who is to say they won't accidentally target a cruise ship instead of an oil tanker or a warship.  Their military seems quite incompetent at accurately identifying the enemy.  A great sense of relief is the overriding emotion amongst our family now we are not going.  And RC is in no position to guarantee the safety of their passengers or hide behind 'we haven't had any threats'.  I'm sure Ukrainian Airlines didn't perceive any threats either.  In a war zone there is always collateral damage and I don't want to be in the Straight of Hormuz when the shooting starts again. 

20 minutes ago, Martin Wheatley said:

Still happy I cancelled our cruise.  Iran accidentally killed 176 passengers on a 737 they thought was a missile.  That's the fog of war.  It is inevitable that things will flare up again & who is to say they won't accidentally target a cruise ship instead of an oil tanker or a warship.  Their military seems quite incompetent at accurately identifying the enemy.  A great sense of relief is the overriding emotion amongst our family now we are not going.  And RC is in no position to guarantee the safety of their passengers or hide behind 'we haven't had any threats'.  I'm sure Ukrainian Airlines didn't perceive any threats either.  In a war zone there is always collateral damage and I don't want to be in the Straight of Hormuz when the shooting starts again. 

We don't regret canceling as our safety is more important than money lost.  Our family are more than happy not having to worry about us and we are now enjoying a alternative relaxing Holiday.   Totally our choice to cancel and respect those who choose not to , but cant believe it does not dampen the experience of a holiday in this region.  

On 1/9/2020 at 3:33 PM, Louise Metcalfe said:

I'm booked on jewel of the seas next Monday (13th January 2020) obviously we are a little apprehensive, but Royal Caribbean have assured us that it's under no threat!!??! 

Has anybody heard any different or anyone else going? ? 

We were due to go 13 th .. have cancelled. We could not relax and would be apprehensive. That's just our opinion of course.  Hope you have a great holiday ?

BREAKING NEWS

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Before you get ready to join us onboard the Jewel of the Seas, we have an important itinerary change to share with you for our upcoming March 2nd sailing.

Last week, there was news of conflict in the Persian Gulf. Since then, we’ve been closely monitoring the area along with our Global Security and Intelligence Team. While it’s safe to visit the Arabian Gulf, out of an abundance of caution, we’ve decided to cancel our visit to Bahrain. Please know, we didn’t take this decision lightly. Instead, we’ll overnight in Abu Dhabi before making our way back to Dubai. We’re terribly sorry for this unexpected change. After some back and forth, we agreed this would be the best alternative to our original itinerary. We hope you’ll enjoy the extra time exploring everything Abu Dhabi has to offer! Below, please find our revised itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Mon

Dubai, United Arab Emirates

5:00 PM

Tue

Sir Bani Yas, United Arab Emirates

8:00 AM

6:00 PM

Wed

Doha, Qatar

Thu

Cruising

Fri

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Sat

8:00 PM

Sun

Mon

DEBARK

Full of immersive, educational, and historical experiences, Abu Dhabi offers endless ways for you to make good use of your extra time! While there, take a behind-the-scenes tour of the Emirates Palace – a five-star hotel that explores Abu Dhabi’s Arabian architecture, rich decor, and top-notch technology. Then, discover the largest mosque in United Arab Emirates, the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. It spans over 30 acres and features pool-lined arcades, golden columns, sky-high minarets, and so much more! And, if you’re looking for adventure, Abu Dhabi has a multitude of thrilling activities to choose from like sand boarding or kayaking. Whatever you choose to do, we know you’ll love it!

Any pre-paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions booked for Bahrain, will be refunded to your original form of payment. In the next few days, you’ll receive an email with your refund details. Then, feel free to browse all the exciting shore excursion options for your sailing in Cruise Planner!

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation. We can’t wait to welcome you onboard soon!

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

46 minutes ago, J_Keeble said:

BREAKING NEWS

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Before you get ready to join us onboard the Jewel of the Seas, we have an important itinerary change to share with you for our upcoming March 2nd sailing.

Last week, there was news of conflict in the Persian Gulf. Since then, we’ve been closely monitoring the area along with our Global Security and Intelligence Team. While it’s safe to visit the Arabian Gulf, out of an abundance of caution, we’ve decided to cancel our visit to Bahrain. Please know, we didn’t take this decision lightly. Instead, we’ll overnight in Abu Dhabi before making our way back to Dubai. We’re terribly sorry for this unexpected change. After some back and forth, we agreed this would be the best alternative to our original itinerary. We hope you’ll enjoy the extra time exploring everything Abu Dhabi has to offer! Below, please find our revised itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Mon

5:00 PM

Tue

Sir Bani Yas, United Arab Emirates

Wed

Doha, Qatar

Thu

Cruising

Fri

Sat

8:00 PM

Sun

Mon

DEBARK

Full of immersive, educational, and historical experiences, Abu Dhabi offers endless ways for you to make good use of your extra time! While there, take a behind-the-scenes tour of the Emirates Palace – a five-star hotel that explores Abu Dhabi’s Arabian architecture, rich decor, and top-notch technology. Then, discover the largest mosque in United Arab Emirates, the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. It spans over 30 acres and features pool-lined arcades, golden columns, sky-high minarets, and so much more! And, if you’re looking for adventure, Abu Dhabi has a multitude of thrilling activities to choose from like sand boarding or kayaking. Whatever you choose to do, we know you’ll love it!

Any pre-paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions booked for Bahrain, will be refunded to your original form of payment. In the next few days, you’ll receive an email with your refund details. Then, feel free to browse all the exciting shore excursion options for your sailing in Cruise Planner!

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation. We can’t wait to welcome you onboard soon!

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

Having done Abu Dhabi a few times previously it looks like I'll be taking great advantage of the Deluxe Drinks package on this trip ! 

I presume the Feb sailings will have Bahrain cancelled also ? 

2 minutes ago, pmanchester said:

Having done Abu Dhabi a few times previously it looks like I'll be taking great advantage of the Deluxe Drinks package on this trip ! 

I presume the Feb sailings will have Bahrain cancelled also ? 

its swings and roundabouts for different people. its a shame I wont get to visit Bahrain but 2 days in Abu Dhabi sounds good to me

Booked on back to back cruises on Jewel of the Seas 16th March (7 nights gulf ports) and 23rd March (16 nights Dubai to Rome). Just received a letter from RCI today via my travel agent saying that RCI are monitoring the area and will be issuing a formal statement regarding any changes to the itenary on Friday 24th January 2020 if not before that date.

I will post an update on the situation as soon as II hear from RCI.

I hope RCI don’t remove Bahrain from our upcoming cruise on 16th March like they recently announced for two of the February cruises, as my wife and I were really looking forward to going back there to visit, since I previously worked in Bahrain from 1982 to 1986, 34+ years ago. Would be a big disappointment if we were to miss out.

19 hours ago, Jim Stewart said:

New information available today on the RCI website regarding the 16th March 7 day cruise from Dubai. Bahrain has been removed and an overnight stay in Doha is in its place.

image.png

We're on the same cruise and are disappointed Bahrain has been taken off as we were looking forward. Safe to say we aren't quite as excited as RC are about the change of itinerary!!

Re the Jewel of the Seas 16th March cruise from Dubai; Still no official statement from RCI, which is quite disappointing. Only found out by running through a dummy booking on the website and found out that Bahrain was removed and an overnight in Doha is in its place. ??

• 1 month later...

So far so good. Just received our travel documents from our Travel Agent today. The potential war with Iran seems out of the question at the moment but the Coronavirus is now the main concern. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it does not affect our B2B cruises on Jewel of the Seas March 16 and March 23. ?? ?

Just received the RCCL email today advising that D+ will not be permitted access to the Concierge Lounge, as the CL is only open for Suites and Pinnacle guests. Not at all happy about this, as we are travelling with cruise friends from Canada who are Pinnacle and they will get access and we will not.

We booked this cruise in a Junior Suite a year ago and got confirmation at the time from RCCL Customer Services that the CL is open to all D+ guests as well as Pinnacles and suite guests. If we had been informed then that we would not be getting CL access we would either have upgraded to GS if the price was right or would not have booked at all.

Shame on RCCL for not being open and honest with loyal cruisers like us, only advising of the situation just days before the cruise when it is too late to do anything about it. Seems like this is happening on a lot, if not all, RCCL cruises, so it appears to be policy.

From now on RCCL will NOT be our preferred cruise company and we will book with whoever gives the best deal at the time.

30 minutes ago, Jim S said:

Just received the RCCL email today advising that D+ will not be permitted access to the Concierge Lounge, as the CL is only open for Suites and Pinnacle guests. Not at all happy about this, as we are travelling with cruise friends from Canada who are Pinnacle and they will get access and we will not.

We booked this cruise in a Junior Suite a year ago and got confirmation at the time from RCCL Customer Services that the CL is open to all D+ guests as well as Pinnacles and suite guests. If we had been informed then that we would not be getting CL access we would either have upgraded to GS if the price was right or would not have booked at all.

Shame on RCCL for not being open and honest with loyal cruisers like us, only advising of the situation just days before the cruise when it is too late to do anything about it. Seems like this is happening on a lot, if not all, RCCL cruises, so it appears to be policy.

From now on RCCL will NOT be our preferred cruise company and we will book with whoever gives the best deal at the time.

I'm sorry that this is not working out the way you had hoped.  I think many of us, who frequent these boards, are well aware that almost 100% of the time, these days, the CL is being put off limits to D+.  It is a way for RCCL to turn all of the CL into SL without actually doing it.  I'm sorry if you did not get that word soon enough.  It is, unfortunately, the way things are going on all of the RCCL ships with very limited exceptions.

11 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm sorry that this is not working out the way you had hoped.  I think many of us, who frequent these boards, are well aware that almost 100% of the time, these days, the CL is being put off limits to D+.  It is a way for RCCL to turn all of the CL into SL without actually doing it.  I'm sorry if you did not get that word soon enough.  It is, unfortunately, the way things are going on all of the RCCL ships with very limited exceptions.

I understand why they are doing it. However, RCCL should be more open and honest with their loyal customers and not hide the reality of the situation. I would appreciate them more if they were not so deceitful. We will vote with our feet in future. ?