Are Dubai 2019-2020 cruises going to be cancelled?

2 hours ago, pmanchester said:

If RC do pull the cruise do we get a full refund or credit towards another cruise ?

Typically if Royal does completely cancel you get a full refund to your method of payment or sometimes they will also give you the choice of some price protected alternative cruises (meaning that if you locked in a great price on your category room you can rebook onto another sailing even if the current pricing is higher).  They will sometimes offer a $200 flight change/fee reimbursement per person.  If they end up sailing but with a modified itinerary it won't be a full refund.

26 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Typically if Royal does completely cancel you get a full refund to your method of payment or sometimes they will also give you the choice of some price protected alternative cruises (meaning that if you locked in a great price on your category room you can rebook onto another sailing even if the current pricing is higher).  They will sometimes offer a $200 flight change/fee reimbursement per person.  If they end up sailing but with a modified itinerary it won't be a full refund.

Thanks for this info. I'll keep an eye on my emails from them. What's strange is I cannot login to my cruise planner at present.

I did recently bid on a Royal Upgrade so I wonder if something is updating in the background... Checking past emails though from when I have bid and been succesful I usually got the confirmation 15-21 days before the cruise. This though is a good 40 ish..

5 hours ago, Tony D said:

What I find pretty poor from RCCL is that they have been quick to send repeated payment reminders, but no updates or communications regarding the tensions and that the cruise will go ahead

To be fair, those are automated payment reminders.  Why would they stop sending those if they have no current plans to alter the itinerary?

We go to Dubai in two days with our cruise from 13th! I need to know of any changes now. 

RCs view on risk would be helpful. We can't expect no risk, but they must have a view. That might make all the difference.

We are going to cancel tomorrow unless we have better information. Bearing in mind they have recently disrupted shipping and still have the capability

Royal has been very quiet on the matter so my guess is that they are not worried, usually they plan a week or so in advance for say things like hurricanes or cruise voyage disruptions due to unrest but nothing at all has been published apart from they are monitoring the situation.

7 hours ago, Tony D said:

I am booked on a Gulf cruise in March. It is a tricky situation as the balance payment is due in a couple of weeks, so at the moment I would only lose the deposit if I cancel. 

What I find pretty poor from RCCL is that they have been quick to send repeated payment reminders, but no updates or communications regarding the tensions and that the cruise will go ahead,

I will wait until the last minute, but my thoughts at the moment are to just cancel due to the uncertainty.

I suspect Royal is waiting on a significant amount of cancelation by their customers, to minimize the number of payback, before they themselves cancel sailings. There's also the possibility they are looking at the viability of changing some itineraries to more durable locations. Either way, yes, I'm sure it's a "bottomline" & safety consideration.

28 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I suspect Royal is waiting on a significant amount of cancelation by their customers, to minimize the number of payback, before they themselves cancel sailings. 

I think this is a very astute observation.  The more people that panic and cancel up front, the less money they have to refund if and when they decide to cancel or modify the sailing.

When I had to skip a cruise at the last minute for family reasons I just did a no show and didn't call to cancel.  Figured anything could happen like maybe a mechanical breakdown and they'd cancel the cruise.  That didn't happen but there was no incentive to notify them I'd be missing the cruise so I didn't.

Just now, twangster said:

When I had to skip a cruise at the last minute for family reasons I just did a no show and didn't call to cancel.  Figured anything could happen like maybe a mechanical breakdown and they'd cancel the cruise.  That didn't happen but there was no incentive to notify them I'd be missing the cruise so I didn't.

Pretty good idea! Kinda like playing "who blinks first" with the possibilities. . . 

1 hour ago, Baked Alaska said:

Pretty good idea! Kinda like playing "who blinks first" with the possibilities. . . 

Yup..you also can't get any kind of insurance (aside from CFAR) coverage if you cancel before the ship does.  The cancellation is the event that triggers an insurance "loss" and if you self-cancel then it isn't considered a covered event.  The cruiseline has to cancel and then you have to get all the appropriate documentation for anything that the cruiseline doesn't refund or issue you a credit for.

Even CFAR is limiting because it's only a partial reimbursement of losses for most policies and the coverage is $$$.

15 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Yup..you also can't get any kind of insurance (aside from CFAR) coverage if you cancel before the ship does.  The cancellation is the event that triggers an insurance "loss" and if you self-cancel then it isn't considered a covered event.  The cruiseline has to cancel and then you have to get all the appropriate documentation for anything that the cruiseline doesn't refund or issue you a credit for.

Even CFAR is limiting because it's only a partial reimbursement of losses for most policies and the coverage is $$$.

I insure all my cruises and insure them with CFAR. The kicker, usually, is that you must insure the cruise within 14 days of your first payment. Would never cruise without.

Just found this post on Facebook. I can't find the group it was posted on, I just searched for Royal Caribbean Dubai. There's no indication of where the person who posted it got the information from.

Today Royal Caribbean are now cancelling cruises around Dubai... one woman from Newcastle has just had confirmation she's going in February"

Traveling in the Mideast has been dangerous since well since the Crusades; recently sailing the gulf has had threats from Somalia pirates and the Iranian Navy.  There are dangers anytime we leave our houses, we have to stay aware of our surroundings and everyone has to make decisions based on their own comfort level.  Frankly the gulf was dangerous before the last situation and while it may have increased a bit, the US Navy will be even more vigilant in protecting the sea lanes.  I'm positive Royal doesn't want to lose a ship and will make a decision as soon as they have the information they need. 

As I type this Iran has launched missiles at military  bases in Iraq and I full expect a swift response to this.  This latest action may cancel some cruises.

5 hours ago, John W said:

If RC want to encourage loyalty  they should realise the honest majority do not want to continue with forthcoming cruises in this area.  . It has seriously tested my loyalty after all these years.  

Do you have any proof that a majority of those booked on Dubai cruises are canceling?  Even though most of the posts here say they are canceling or considering it, that may not reflect the current situation.  That said, with Royal already having no cruises booked past March 2020, I tend to agree they don't see Dubai as profitable or safe (or some combination) enough to continue so I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull out even sooner.

As others have said though, it's financially better to wait for the cruise line to make the decision to cancel.

17 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

To be fair, those are automated payment reminders.  Why would they stop sending those if they have no current plans to alter the itinerary?

It would just be nice if they put the same amount of effort into producing a news page or email updates. Bearing in mind that a lot of people must have concerns and no news just encourages rumours and speculation.

13 hours ago, Ashfan said:

Just found this post on Facebook. I can't find the group it was posted on, I just searched for Royal Caribbean Dubai. There's no indication of where the person who posted it got the information from.

Today Royal Caribbean are now cancelling cruises around Dubai... one woman from Newcastle has just had confirmation she's going in February"

Interesting. I'm due to go in February from Dubai, hopefully if true they contact me soon. 

Did you find the dates this lady was informed it was cancelled on ? 

14 hours ago, John W said:

If RC want to encourage loyalty  they should realise the honest majority do not want to continue with forthcoming cruises in this area.  . It has seriously tested my loyalty after all these years.  

speak for yourself. I See no problem going on this cruise.

Saying that, if I become inactive after march you know I made the wrong decision :L

I just had an update from Royal Caribbean

"We understand how worrying the situation in the Arabian Gulf is. However, we have not cancelled any Dubai sailings and are monitoring the situation very closely. If there is a change to your reservation you will be notified directly from us. As of right now you will still be going on your honeymoon" - Lucas

57 minutes ago, pmanchester said:

I just had an update from Royal Caribbean

"We understand how worrying the situation in the Arabian Gulf is. However, we have not cancelled any Dubai sailings and are monitoring the situation very closely. If there is a change to your reservation you will be notified directly from us. As of right now you will still be going on your honeymoon" - Lucas

was this a response to you reaching out to them?

an email or social media messaging service?

2 hours ago, pmanchester said:

Interesting. I'm due to go in February from Dubai, hopefully if true they contact me soon. 

Did you find the dates this lady was informed it was cancelled on ? 

Sorry no. Like I said I just searched Facebook for "Royal Caribbean Dubai" and it came up as a post somewhere on Facebook. 

On 1/5/2020 at 9:04 PM, deep1 said:

I think the best thing is to take a deep breath. Iran has been saber rattling since 1979...  Recent years they have behaved badly a few times with no response. When they killed American citizens last week they crossed a line and were spanked. They tried our embassy. Guess what? We have a less tolerant president than Obama this time and we repelled it. We saw opportunity to take out a terrorist who was responsible for thousands of deaths over the years going back to Beirut 1983. We did just that. Ok,  they are jumping up and down and screaming but they lack the tools to mount a real offensive. For that matter I don't see that they have the tools to defend either. I see the word "escalation" used here ... I prefer to look at it as a few uncomfortable moments ending a war before it gets started... It has not gone well for any country to push too hard against the coalition. I have a hunch that their survival instinct will outweigh their desire to continue their little tantrum. Peace through a show of force if you will. Remain vigilant and follow advice from your respective countries as to the safety of passage through questionable waters.  Also bear in mind RCL does have your best interest as their best interest. I don't think they have any intention of serving up billion dollar ships into arms way either.

For those impacted. I wish you well and sober decisions will be made to answer your questions. 

It appears that the tensions are subsiding. Peace through strength prevailing.  Not all the way out of the woods but significantly better.   Last nights deliberate "missing" signifies that Tehran is not really interested in getting into a fight they can't win.  I'm hoping those that will be going  through the affected areas have  wonderful relaxing cruises... 

4 hours ago, Louise Metcalfe said:

I'm booked on jewel of the seas next Monday (13th January 2020) obviously we are a little apprehensive, but Royal Caribbean have assured us that it's under no threat!!??! 

Has anybody heard any different or anyone else going? ? 

We were due to go 13 th .. have cancelled. We could not relax and would be apprehensive. That's just our opinion of course.  Hope you have a great holiday ?

3 hours ago, John W said:

We were due to go 13 th .. have cancelled. We could not relax and would be apprehensive. That's just our opinion of course.  Hope you have a great holiday ?

We were also due to go on the 13th, was deliberating all weekend if we should go or not. In the end we took the financial hit, and booked an all inclusive break to Mexico instead go on the 15th. Luckily we paid very little for our cabin, got our drinks package and excursion money back and put this towards our new trip. Feel like a massive weight has been lifted from my shoulders now. Holidays should be for total relaxation not to be extra vigilant. Read on Facebook fighter jets flew over the ship today, I would have literally had a melt down. I know I’ll be relaxing with my mojito now ?

3 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Looks like Dubai is not only NOT cancelled, but now on sale (two nights for Sidney more than 7 nights for Dubai):

image.thumb.png.09f77430d981d5e7148e8a0754bd4bfc.png

The $218 price is correct. That $152 price isn't a thing, though. If you actually go into it and look, the cheapest fare is $477 for an Oceanview Guarantee.