Are Dubai 2019-2020 cruises going to be cancelled?

Being from England I’ve been following the Iran issues with certain vessels being captured and controlled by the Iranian government and trouble with pirates. I spotted his link stating P&O have cancelled all their sailings. It makes me wonder if royal will follow?!

https://www.cruisecotterill.com/cruise-news/po-cruises-cancels-all-dubai-and-arabian-gulf-cruises

The Cruises which have Oman as a port of call are the issue, the area leaving the Persian Gulf going into the Gulf of Oman that's where ships would be very near Iran, therefor at a high risk. 

The ports of Qatar and Bahrain wouldn't be an issue as its unlikely Iran would enter Saudi Controlled waters and risk starting a war with the GCC. 

15 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

...not to mention the US Navy’s 5th Fleet in Bahrain !

Yeah your right however my therapist said i shouldn't mention them! Lol 

While working in bahrain there was many a morning i woke up with an extremely sore head after bumping into some of those guys on a night out ??? one night the MP's came round looking for those without passes or breaking curfew and tried to drag my 6ft 2" nephew back to ship..it almost got messy but hotel staff eventually managed to calm us scots down ???

19 hours ago, J_Keeble said:

Sorry I put it in the wrong topic group, didn’t know where to put it.

hmmm I haven’t heard anything yet from royal

but the first sailings are in December I believe 

Apparently Royal Caribbean has no plans to cancel its Dubai season

https://cruisearabiaonline.com/2019/07/23/royal-caribbean-says-iran-not-a-threat-to-cruise-ships-in-region-or-dubai-cruise-sector/

I am hoping it isn't as I am the Suez Canal sailing at the end of November.  I think since P & O ships have the flag at the front it would be unwise for them to sail in that area. 

I am sure time will tell but I have already had Oasis TA cancelled on me this year so don't want another one cancelled!

• 3 months later...

I was looking at the 9night from Dubai - I called in to ask and they all cruises from Nov - March were cancalled and they have no information as to why. The ship appears to be moving to Barcelona but doesn't seem to have any itineraries yet.

Seems to line up close to what P&O cancelled in the region.

14 hours ago, MichelleB1234 said:

I am scheduled to sailing on the Jewel November 2, 2020 out of Civi to the Holy Land Sailing.  This one of two November 2020 Holy Land sailings.  My sailing still has plenty of cabins available.   Do you think this sailing will be cancelled, too?

at a guess I would think these 2 cruises are safe but never say never!

15 hours ago, MichelleB1234 said:

I am scheduled to sailing on the Jewel November 2, 2020 out of Civi to the Holy Land Sailing.  This one of two November 2020 Holy Land sailings.  My sailing still has plenty of cabins available.   Do you think this sailing will be cancelled, too?

Holy land sailings don't go to Dubai. The sailings being discussed are ones that begin and end in Dubai.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Holy land sailings don't go to Dubai. The sailings being discussed are ones that begin and end in Dubai.

No, I know that.  I am just thinking that depending where they decide to reposition Jewel for the winter could affect the November Holy Land sailings plus the fact that the cruise still has plenty of unsold cabins.

1 hour ago, MichelleB1234 said:

No, I know that.  I am just thinking that depending where they decide to reposition Jewel for the winter could affect the November Holy Land sailings plus the fact that the cruise still has plenty of unsold cabins.

Gotcha, now I see what you mean. I doubt it since that Jewel sailing is part of the Med sailings from Rome. Not like there's an entire season of Holy Land sailings. 

Not that I have any insight into these decisions, but I wouldn't think your sailing is in jeopardy. 

4 hours ago, MichelleB1234 said:

They told me is was going to be repositioning to Barcelona but had no itineraries yet.

• 3 weeks later...

We were due to cruise back to the Med from Dubai in March 2021 on Jewel and have just been told its been pulled. We checked their website and it seems Jewel has no cruises planned for it from end Nov 2020 to end May 2021 EXCEPT for a weird 7 day cruise from Barcelona to Amsterdam in April. Another weird fact is that, until yesterday, when we logged into the RC website our cruise planner STILL SAID we were booked on that Jewel Dubai-Med cruise. Now, it has changed to say we are still on Jewel, same March 2021 date,  but now sailing from Galveston to Barcelona!! There is no record of any cruises from Galveston for Jewel around that time on the RC site.  Maybe this is a sign that Jewel will be repositioned to Galveston for the summer. Who knows though at the moment!!

6 hours ago, Kathleen said:

It appears the last dry dock I could find on line for Jewel was in 2016. Possibly during the December2020-April/May 2021 the Jewel will receive a little TLC in drydock.

It will be done in 21, I asked when I booked Jewel on Serenade as to ensure that I wouldn’t get a cancellation letter for dry dock maintenance.  I was trying to avoid the dreaded rebooking/cancellation fiasco. I couldn’t get the dates, so who knows where she will be to receive that updated maintenance schedule, however it could mean a repositioning cruise based on where she is at the time. 

3 hours ago, mworkman said:

It will be done in 21, I asked when I booked Jewel on Serenade as to ensure that I wouldn’t get a cancellation letter for dry dock maintenance.  I was trying to avoid the dreaded rebooking/cancellation fiasco. I couldn’t get the dates, so who knows where she will be to receive that updated maintenance schedule, however it could mean a repositioning cruise based on where she is at the time. 

I'm currently on a B2B on VotS and according to the Next Cruise Staff I spoke with stated that the dates and itineraries for December 2020 will be released in a month or two.

With the actions of President Trump in assassinating a top Iranian General in Iraq & Iran vowing retaliation, is it wise for Royal Caribbean to still be sailing American owned cruise ships through the Straits of Hormuz, just miles from Iran?  I am due to be cruising from Dubai in February and am now very, very nervous about going.  I want to cancel but the cost is 75% at this point, I am hoping they will cancel.  I notice P&O cancelled their Dubai cruises last year when Iran were targeting British tankers, may RC do the same?  I hope so!

Welcome to the forum.  You'll probably get more views/responses if you change the subject of your post to something other than your name.  I tend to agree that it's way too soon to make any predictions about future cruises in the area.  However, I would not be surprised if Dubai cruises are canceled if the situation moves from increased tension to actual conflict.

We are due to join a cruise out of Dubai in ten days. We have been reading reports from many different sources and now feel very concerned about our safety. We have contacted our travel agent and Royal Caribbean, but are still waiting for responses. We are due to fly out on Monday, so time is tight. Trying to remain calm about the situation, but part of me feels we would be crazy to board a cruise in current circumstances - feel it would be totally wrong to be sailing in to a potential war zone. Has anyone heard about any cruises being cancelled? We would lose all our booking costs if we cancel.

I tweeted RC & they gave the following response:  "We’re aware of current events in the region and we’re closely monitoring the situation along with our Global Security Team. Should the situation change we’ll update you immediately. Thank you for your understanding." 

Although I can't imagine Iran to be so stupid to target a cruise ship, in the last year in the very waters the ship is sailing the Iranian Revolutionary Guard have attached limpet mines to foreign vessels and have also diverted a British oil tanker into Iranian waters for bogus reasons and then held it captive for weeks. 

The General the Americans assassinated is described as an immensely powerful Dick Cheney/Darth Vader 'power behind the throne' type figure and the Iranians are absolutely seething about this, this is probably the most serious action the USA has taken in the Gulf since the 2003 Iraq invasion.  You can guarantee the Iranians are plotting revenge for this.  The defenceless Jewel of the Seas, which would be a floating prize, travels just miles from Iranian waters and can easily be intercepted by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard. Out of 'an abundance of caution' RC should cancel.