FYI: Re-pricing a "sold out" room

This topic has been discussed a bit here of late and I thought I would share my experience today.  As many of you know, I track pricing on my bookings.  Many have asked lately what happens when a cabin is "sold out" and if it would still be eligible for a re-price?  I have had very good luck with this situation in the past.  You can see how I go about doing it here

Yesterday I noticed that the current August promo includes KSF up until December 2020.  We have the Villa booked on Harmony with 5 kids on that reservation under the age of 12.  That cabin is obviously "sold out" as there is only one of those on the ship and we have it.  I did a mock booking yesterday morning and checked it against my records and there appeared to be a price drop on the suites overall with the KSF promo.  Later in the day, I emailed my TA and heard back this morning.  Saved an extra $1315 with KSF even with a "sold out" cabin. 

The reason why I am sharing this is not to say that this will always be the case, but it does pay off to check and ask.

They told me we were SOL when there was a £1500 price drop just before final payment. We booked direct. I got $150 OBC. With the 3 rooms we had booked it was not a big difference if you considered the 3 deposits lost. I’m still a bit salty though! I was 45 mins on the phone to get that too. Maybe it’s different in Europe?

Just now, Nikkoo said:

They told me we were SOL when there was a £1500 price drop just before final payment. We booked direct. I got $150 OBC. With the 3 rooms we had booked it was not a big difference if you considered the 3 deposits lost. I’m still a bit salty though! I was 45 mins on the phone to get that too. Maybe it’s different in Europe?

Definitely different outside of North America.  To my knowledge, you can only re-price inside of North America.

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

How did you do a mock booking if you already had the room reserved and there’s only 1 cabin in that category ?

Keep tabs on a handful of different suite categories and do mock bookings on whatever is available.  You should see a trend where they all seem to drop a little..that's when you would call to have your sold out category checked out and quoted.

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

How did you do a mock booking if you already had the room reserved and there’s only 1 cabin in that category ?

I track all the suite prices for my sailings.  I did a mock booking using a suite that is currently available.  I go with the theory that if most of the suites dropped in price, then mine likely followed suit even though I cannot view it.  This has not failed me yet...

49 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I track all the suite prices for my sailings.  I did a mock booking using a suite that is currently available.  I go with the theory that if most of the suites dropped in price, then mine likely followed suit even though I cannot view it.  This has not failed me yet...

How bot like.  :) 

6 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Same here. I always think of it as, there’s a price it just won’t show me it. 

19 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Keep tabs on a handful of different suite categories and do mock bookings on whatever is available.  You should see a trend where they all seem to drop a little..that's when you would call to have your sold out category checked out and quoted.

19 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Does anyone know if these same techniques can be used if I booked direct with RCCL - no TA?  Also, next year I am booked on a free cruise (Harmony) by using points from my BOA RCCL credit card.  For that booking I was required to book direct with RCCL.  Could I price adjust there too if the price appears to drop?

Also, can this be done even after final payment?

Thanks in Advance!  ?

1 hour ago, YOLO said:

Does anyone know if these same techniques can be used if I booked direct with RCCL - no TA?  Also, next year I am booked on a free cruise (Harmony) by using points from my BOA RCCL credit card.  For that booking I was required to book direct with RCCL.  Could I price adjust there too if the price appears to drop?

Also, can this be done even after final payment?

Thanks in Advance!  ?

I’ve done it both ways. Direct with RC and also with a TA.

After final payment you are either stuck or not worth it. Also if you are outside of North America it cannot be done. It would be treated like a whole new booking with cancellations fees and everything.

But price drops after final payment could make way for an upgrade. That is how we moved from a GS to CLS on Symphony.