When Does Royal App Update?

48 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

We are only 3 weeks away from our Navigator cruise and all that is showing in Royal App are things you can book such as Escape room and Excursions.

When does it typically update?  The Refresh does nothing.  I was going to try and sign out and back in but cannot find that option.

Just to be sure, what are you looking to book? Only on Oasis and potentially quantum class ships can you book shows in advance. 

I hate the Royal app for that very reason.  On Symphony last week, it never did refresh itself.  I tried logging out/back in and I even deleted the app and re-installed it.  Nothing.  Very unreliable.  We just used it to show our set sail pass on the first day and to check our folio during the cruise.

46 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I hate the Royal app for that very reason.  On Symphony last week, it never did refresh itself.  I tried logging out/back in and I even deleted the app and re-installed it.  Nothing.  Very unreliable.  We just used it to show our set sail pass on the first day and to check our folio during the cruise.

Agreed! I couldn't get it to work once on Serenade two weeks ago during our cruise. It kept asking me to buy an internet package or download the app (which was already on my phone!). 

It didn't really matter in the end and tbh it was nice to just leave my phone on the cabin most nights!! 

16 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

We are only 3 weeks away from our Navigator cruise and all that is showing in Royal App are things you can book such as Escape room and Excursions.

When does it typically update?  The Refresh does nothing.  I was going to try and sign out and back in but cannot find that option.

On our Harmony trip in May, the Escape Room was one of the last activities to become available for booking on line.  I believe it was only a couple of weeks out.

7 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

On our Harmony trip in May, the Escape Room was one of the last activities to become available for booking on line.  I believe it was only a couple of weeks out.

Funny how it works. We actually booked Escape room awhile ago on Navigator on cruise planner (for DS and DH).  No rhyme or reason for when they release stuff.

8 hours ago, Tira04 said:

Agreed! I couldn't get it to work once on Serenade two weeks ago during our cruise. It kept asking me to buy an internet package or download the app (which was already on my phone!). 

It didn't really matter in the end and tbh it was nice to just leave my phone on the cabin most nights!! 

I'm the same and actually leave my phone in the stateroom and carry around the paper compass.  Was just hoping for a preview of the activities (although it doesn't really matter as we have traditional dining so not like we're even trying to book dinner around show times).

6 hours ago, Andrew72681 said:

I’d recommend checking out the cruise compass section for the same ship and itinerary as yours for you best bet of things will happen. On our last Navigator Cruise it didn’t update till day before the cruise. 

Good idea.  Thanks.  Let me take a look and see if there's a 4 day Navigator posted.

9 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Very annoying.  Where is the log out option? I  can't even find the spot to try signing out and back in.

8 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Where is the log out option?

Click on the head+shoulders icon top-centre-right. This opens up a new page where you'll see your name with a wheel next to it. Click on the wheel. This opens up the settings page. The sign out button is all the way down at the bottom. 

5 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Click on the head+shoulders icon top-centre-right. This opens up a new page where you'll see your name with a wheel next to it. Click on the wheel. This opens up the settings page. The sign out button is all the way down at the bottom. 

Thank you!  Never noticed that little settings icon .

(Didn't help to update anything but at least I know where to find the sign out now)

On 8/5/2019 at 7:05 PM, WannaCruise said:

Just a trick ive learned. When you plug in your cellphone to charge go into the Google store and update your apps. 

I guess some apps when updating will take more power. Ive just noticed the RCCL app wont update til you plug in the phone.

8 hours ago, love2cruiseonwheels said:

Just a trick ive learned. When you plug in your cellphone to charge go into the Google store and update your apps. 

I guess some apps when updating will take more power. Ive just noticed the RCCL app wont update til you plug in the phone.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried this but see no option, but pretty sure I've seen the app get updated in one of the regular app updates.

Guessing they aren't going to update app for this cruise.  Oh well...guess will have to wait until onboard. (And I took a look at the posted cruise compasses)

Information has to be loaded for a particular sailing.   They may not do that until the day of the cruise.  They work off of a template, so there may be something loaded already but they will modify and change it to the specific sailing you are on.  It's the same as the Cruise Compasses...they may seem identical on repeating itineraries, but there will be tons of minor changes.

I really enjoyed using the app before and during our cruise last week on Harmony.  A majority of our activities were available on there at least a week out, so we went through and made notes of the things we didn't want to miss.  During the cruise, the app worked pretty much flawlessly and I used it way more than the paper Compass.  The only thing lacking is times for most of the sports deck stuff and kids' activities.  It would be nice if they could add these, even if they were in a separate section.

The app is fairly huge for some reason (over a half gig) so I'm sadly going to have to delete it until our next cruise!

22 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Information has to be loaded for a particular sailing.   They may not do that until the day of the cruise.  They work off of a template, so there may be something loaded already but they will modify and change it to the specific sailing you are on.  It's the same as the Cruise Compasses...they may seem identical on repeating itineraries, but there will be tons of minor changes.

I know for my specific cruise on Navigator, there is a new CD.  So maybe he is still finalizing the schedule ?  (If it comes from him)

Just now, WannaCruise said:

I know for my specific cruise on Navigator, there is a new CD.  So maybe he is still finalizing the schedule ?  (If it comes from him)

Could be..I'd imagine he has final sign-off.  I have a cruise on Allure in 2.5 weeks and there's not much showing in the Daily Planner at this point.  It's got all the shows and such but being on an Oasis-class these are all things you reserve so they've been available for that in the Cruise Planner for some time and have set times.  But all the other smaller activities that will end up showing up aren't there yet (trivia, deck parties, etc.).  There are a few that show up, but it will become more robust once I am actually on the ship.

13 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Could be..I'd imagine he has final sign-off.  I have a cruise on Allure in 2.5 weeks and there's not much showing in the Daily Planner at this point.  It's got all the shows and such but being on an Oasis-class these are all things you reserve so they've been available for that in the Cruise Planner for some time and have set times.  But all the other smaller activities that will end up showing up aren't there yet (trivia, deck parties, etc.).  There are a few that show up, but it will become more robust once I am actually on the ship.

SO maybe not then as you sound like it's the same for you with only items that are bookable in cruise planner show up.  Thanks for sharing.

On 8/6/2019 at 9:28 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I found that on our last sailing the app had the menu all messed up and wrong for every night's dinner in the MDR, totally worthless at this point for menu's. This was on our Allure sailing in June.

When you board and get the Cruise Compass, be sure to check the time shown on the Compass against the times shows on the app.  We have found some last minute changes, for whatever reasons, were not updated on the app so times for events were changed.

It was only for a couple of things, but if they are things that are important to you, it could make a huge difference.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 8:31 PM, WannaCruise said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried this but see no option, but pretty sure I've seen the app get updated in one of the regular app updates.

Guessing they aren't going to update app for this cruise.  Oh well...guess will have to wait until onboard. (And I took a look at the posted cruise compasses)

Since that last message the app did update like 2 or 3 times. I think it updated things for my cruise,