board games in the lounge

nyold

Hello,

Do you know that if I'm planning to play a board game in one of the lounges (our own board games, not borrowed from library) using one of the tables, will we get kicked out when the show starts? I mean shows like music performance, trivia, or majority rules etc. Of course we'll be respectful and not make too much noise, and even participate in the game. In other words, is the lounge only for people who ARE participating in the show?

I'm sailing on Adventure if that matters.

My second question is: does anyone have suggestion of a good board game? I'm sailing with DW and parents in law, but most of the time it'll just be us 2. It should be cooperative because we're both bad losers. It doesn't have to be "travel friendly" but of course it should be playable on the lounge tables, i.e. nothing requiring vast expanse of tables lol.

I have an ipad and DW has an android table too, so if you have an adaptation of a board game in one of these systems that would work too. 

I have seen people playing card games and stuff like that during things like music shows in the lounges. I personally plan on bringing the card version of monopoly and clue (has an app add-on you can get for ios) when my wife and I go next. Long as you don't mind the sound and aren't loud you'll be fine. And if you have a few drinks while you are there then they will be very happy lol.

I have never seen anyone playing a game be asked to move. AaMoF, when we first started cruising, we used to play gin rummy in the Viking Crown room (back when there was actually a Viking Crown statue there !).  We didn’t know about the Special Diamond event (we’d never even heard of a “Diamond” back then) and when they started setting up for the event, they told us just to stay put if we wanted to.  We attended our first ever Diamond event that night without even knowing what it was.  They were very kind.  We just kept playing cards and were astonished when the server came by and asked if we wanted a drink !  Heck yeah !  That was waaay back.

I've seen Trivial Pursuit, Uno, and other card games I've never seen before. Don't worry about sitting in any lounge, if someone asked you to move or leave they are just being rude.

I actually commented to my wife on the last cruise that I was impressed by the number of younger kids and adults sitting around playing cards and other games. I guess I was just surprised they didn't have their face buried in a phone or tablet keeping up on Facebook. A welcome and refreshing surprise. 

As @WAAAYTOOO commented, my wife and I found ourselves sitting in the Viking Crown Lounge reading our books and people watching, we had our fill of the sun for the day and just wanted someplace quite and comfortable to sit.

As a longtime lurker, I suppose I'll make my first post on here to suggest a few board games, since that's one of my main hobbies. There's a lot of great board games you can play co-op as 2+ people when you move out of the traditional Monopoly/Sorry space. Here's a few recommendations from my favorite two player things. They're ranked from least to most complex.

• Codenames: Duet - A game about connecting different words together by giving creative clues
  • Forbidden Island - Collect various artifacts from around an uncharted island before it sinks into the sea!
  • Pandemic - A strategy game about saving the world from disease epidemics.
  • Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - Solve cases with Sherlock Holmes.

On the iPad, I'd recommend Carcassonne or Patchwork as pass and play two player things. Though do note those aren't cooperative. I think there are also at least digital versions of Pandemic and Forbidden Island, but I haven't tried them.

This now has me thinking if I'd have any luck on my upcoming Symphony cruise with putting a "Hey let's play some board games at X time!" thing on the Community noteboard at the card room to find some fellow nerds, as I'll likely at least be bringing a game or two for me and the GF to play.

Here are a few co-operative games to look into that would work great on a small table in the lounge...

• Codenames: Duet (2-player only)
  • Any games in the Exit: The Game or Unlock! series (basically, escape room in a box, though each one is playable only one time, once you know the solution)
  • Flip Ships (OK, this probably might take up too much table space, and maybe be too boisterous, but I love it dearly)
  • Forbidden Island
  • Hanabi
  • The Mind or The Game

I don't think you should have a problem in a lounge. People are there to drink and chat with friends in addition to whatever happens to be going on there. You'll just be using the table for something in addition to holding your drink. Even in the theater before the show starts would be acceptable I think.

We may use your idea in a few weeks. I mean, would you rather my kids play Uno quietly before the curtain opens or listen to them increasingly complain that the show hasn't started yet? ?

1 hour ago, nyold said:

Hello,

Do you know that if I'm planning to play a board game in one of the lounges (our own board games, not borrowed from library) using one of the tables, will we get kicked out when the show starts? I mean shows like music performance, trivia, or majority rules etc. Of course we'll be respectful and not make too much noise, and even participate in the game. In other words, is the lounge only for people who ARE participating in the show?

I'm sailing on Adventure if that matters.

My second question is: does anyone have suggestion of a good board game? I'm sailing with DW and parents in law, but most of the time it'll just be us 2. It should be cooperative because we're both bad losers. It doesn't have to be "travel friendly" but of course it should be playable on the lounge tables, i.e. nothing requiring vast expanse of tables lol.

I have an ipad and DW has an android table too, so if you have an adaptation of a board game in one of these systems that would work too. 

My only caution would be if there is a lecture, which might occur in a large aft lounge on some ships.  My son and I were quietly playing chess on the Radiance when about 100 folks swarmed around us for a destination lecture and then chewed us out for being there first and quietly talking about our game.  Now the speaker had a microphone, and we were at the very edge of the stern by the windows, but we were made to feel uncomfortable.

10 minutes ago, ultron87 said:

This now has me thinking if I'd have any luck on my upcoming Symphony cruise with putting a "Hey let's play some board games at X time!" thing on the Community noteboard at the card room to find some fellow nerds, as I'll likely at least be bringing a game or two for me and the GF to play.

You might be surprised at how many people will stop and chat if they recognize the games you bring.  Maybe even like to join in.

Friends brought several Keyforge decks on a recent trip and had several people stop to chat/sit for a while.

Besides regular card decks, we like to bring a Fluxx deck (usually Pirate Fluxx or sometimes Zombie Fluxx - but never Monty Python Fluxx) and we have been known to bring Exploding Kittens (our 3 cats don't mind that we like the game). :9_innocent:

Woah thanks all for the game suggestions.

We have tried Pandemic, Hanabi, The Mind. They're great games, but we might want to try a few new ones.

I hear there's a Pandemic The Cure which is more travel friendly, and Pandemic, Forbidden Island, they both have ipad version as well. 

We like Codenames (the full version) with lots of people, but we might try Codenames Duet as well.

Ok we'll try a bunch of these and update you guys. The idea is that we'd sit in the lounge during the game show, and if it's a thinking type of game (like Forbidden Island or Pandemic), it can be done quietly, and at the same time we might participate in a trivia game at Schooner's for example. 

3 hours ago, ultron87 said:

As a longtime lurker, I suppose I'll make my first post on here to suggest a few board games, since that's one of my main hobbies. There's a lot of great board games you can play co-op as 2+ people when you move out of the traditional Monopoly/Sorry space. Here's a few recommendations from my favorite two player things. They're ranked from least to most complex.

• Codenames: Duet - A game about connecting different words together by giving creative clues
  • Forbidden Island - Collect various artifacts from around an uncharted island before it sinks into the sea!
  • Pandemic - A strategy game about saving the world from disease epidemics.
  • Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - Solve cases with Sherlock Holmes.

On the iPad, I'd recommend Carcassonne or Patchwork as pass and play two player things. Though do note those aren't cooperative. I think there are also at least digital versions of Pandemic and Forbidden Island, but I haven't tried them.

there are so many games out there. these being some good reccomendations, and pandemic being one of my favorites. 7 wonders, kittens in a blender, exploding kittens, organ attack, azul, splendor, potion explosion, and sagrada are good games, though not coop they have a smaller footprint... 5 minute dungeon (or 5 minute marvel) may be a good fit... 

as for ipad games, pathfinder and zombicide are great ( take up tons of real estate in board form)

@ultron87 when will you be on symphony? BGG@sea is sailing Aug 24-31 and I'll be there.. playing games all week!

On 8/5/2019 at 12:32 PM, ChessE4 said:

My only caution would be if there is a lecture, which might occur in a large aft lounge on some ships.  My son and I were quietly playing chess on the Radiance when about 100 folks swarmed around us for a destination lecture and then chewed us out for being there first and quietly talking about our game.  Now the speaker had a microphone, and we were at the very edge of the stern by the windows, but we were made to feel uncomfortable.

I just saw this meme and thought of you. 

FB_IMG_1565312027013.jpg