Am I denying myself anything by not getting off the ship in Falmouth?

Apatt08

Hey everyone!  So, I have been doing much research for my upcoming sailing in January on Indy.  My second stop is at Falmouth Jamaica, I am planning to not get off the ship as I haven't seen any excursions that I can't live without going on and/or any that accommodate my 4yr old!  Am I really missing out on anything by just staying aboard the ship and enjoying a few on board activities?  

1 hour ago, Apatt08 said:

Hey everyone!  So, I have been doing much research for my upcoming sailing in January on Indy.  My second stop is at Falmouth Jamaica, I am planning to not get off the ship as I haven't seen any excursions that I can't live without going on and/or any that accommodate my 4yr old!  Am I really missing out on anything by just staying aboard the ship and enjoying a few on board activities?  

We had a fun time at margaritaville, it has a nice pool. It’s still inside the secured compound.

We had so much fun with our kids at the Blue Waters Beach Club. The water was shallow, perfect for kids, and I brought some collapsible sand buckets and some shovels, and it was awesome. Food was pretty okay, drinks were great. The beach was clean, and they kept the vendors from harassing us. We loved it. 

12 hours ago, Apatt08 said:

are there places inside the compound to buy souvenirs, t-shirts, keychains, post cards that sort of stuff?  Also is there anywhere nearby in the port to get the famous jerk chicken?

Not sure about the jerk chicken but yes in the port area it is all tours, restaurants and souvenirs.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:21 AM, Apatt08 said:

are there places inside the compound to buy souvenirs, t-shirts, keychains, post cards that sort of stuff?  Also is there anywhere nearby in the port to get the famous jerk chicken?

Hello there. Yes, the port is set up like a mini outdoor shopping mall so there are plenty stores to buy souvenirs. There is also an area where you can buy souvenirs/wood crafts from local merchants. When we visited March 2018, there was a restaurant that served local dishes including jerk chicken. There was also a Dairy Queen/Nathan's in the port as well.

20 hours ago, rjac said:

Stay inside the fence! DO NOT venture out past the fence into the town of Falmouth proper. Hasty place. Great shops/places to eat inside the fence. :27_sunglasses:

I have definitely ventured beyond the fence and not had any issues. A few caveats - I am used to travel in "questionable" places and third world countries, and I blend in a bit with the locals (if you know what I mean). It's not an enjoyable place, I'll say that, but I personally haven't been fearful or uncomfortable. I understand many people do, so one has to judge their own comfort and experience level. It is, however, a good way to experience real Jamaica (or as close as you can get in a town that still has lots of tourists dumped in each day).

I enjoyed the secured port area there to be honest. Quite a few shops and restaurants there and not pushy or in your face at all. The  Margarittaville   there is awesome and fun. Pool is free there. I would defn get off for an hr or two to check it out. Would I go out past the fence again....prob not unless I was on an excursion.

I had been to Jamaica 2008 on Liberty for their old port Ocho Rios; booked excursion to All Inclusive Beach Resort, enjoyed a beautiful fun day!  Second time we stopped in Falmouth days after they first "opened" the port. We were greeted with a very sad empty concrete drop spot. Royal had hastily put up tents for pop-up shopping and drinks. I booked a shopping excursion "beyond the fence".  Even though I do not enjoy shopping; I considered the van ride as a way to view Jamaica.  My personal experience was not one that reached my personal comfort level.  However....I'm just a country girl and crowded city environments are unfamiliar to me and at times a bit too scary!  

Then in May 2014 I was leading a group of 17 for a Mother's Day Cruise and we were delighted to find the Margaritaville Pool Bar area!! They have buildings with Food/Bar service to escape the sun. Outside was a Pavilion playing live music! A cute Hot Tub shaped like a Margarita Glass (that's my son standing there for scale, and prior to meeting the 20-somethings who truly enjoyed this higher viewing point.) 

Everyone in the pool pic was in my group... I suggested that we get off the ship early before the crowds. All 17 made it to the Pool Bar and enjoyed their fruity Jamaican "breakfast"..!

Interesting Side Story: Two of the single guys joining on this 2014 cruise - I met on the Liberty cruise mentioned above. They became fast friends!! Joined my boyfriend and I in Vegas twice, NYC three times, two additional cruises and... I just texted him last night to inform of these Harmony dates...he's doing same itinerary in February.  Because of my long friendships with Armando and Keith...I hop on every cruise with great anticipation for the new friends that I will gather!

P.S. Both of my avatar photos that I used for this BlogSite are from the Margarita Pool..!!

DSCN0138.jpg

DSCN0137.jpg

DSCN0149.jpg

21 hours ago, Apatt08 said:

do you have to pay to go in the pool at Margarittaville? 

The pool is Free to enter and enjoy. Purchases were out of pocket and not included with the SeaPass. The Oasis is literally sitting "at" the pool. Here's another photo with the ship in frame.... Super Easy for cruisers of all ages to enjoy. The vendor shops and eateries are plentiful with a various array of Jamaican wares.  I brought four women in their 70 & 80's with me and they were able to easily navigate from ship to pool to shops.  

DSCN0150.jpg

I forgot there is a market once you leave the compound at the end of the road the tour buses use to the right.  Our driver said that it was a real market where locals and tourists can both shop.  I forget the name but it means that items are laid on the ground.  Vendors bring there wares and lay them out then you shop.  It's too far to walk to.