Chef's Table - worth the cost?

We have done Chef's table 3 times, and it was worth it each time in varying circumstances.

#1 - Booked online way in advance for an Anniversary dinner.  $85 and wonderful.

#2 - Our MDR server called over the Chef's table waiter on night 2 of a 3 night sailing.  He needed to fill his table and offered the 7 of us dinner at 50% off.  Absolutely worth it for $40.

#3 - Recently on Anthem with the UDP they gave us a 35% credit, more or less applying the nightly amount we had paid for the package to the price of Chef's Table.

$85 is a great price IMO. My upcoming Anthem sailing is only offering it for $95 pp. Paid $85 on Freedom to do Chef's Table solo, and it was one of the best meals I've ever had, hands down. Here's my review of the experience:

Just in terms of the wine offered, it's worth the price. Especially if your servers allow you to get refills on your favorites from the meal. The food is great as well, basically a "best of" from Royal's fleet with (I think) each ship's chef putting their personal spin on the preparation.

Several others here, including @ellcee, @Broons77, @mom2mybugs, and @hayley_bopp have all done it and loved it as well.

14 hours ago, Momof4crazytocruise said:

Trying to decide if I can justify $85/person for dinner. What are your experiences? Have you ever been offered a discounted one after boarding?

It's worth it for the prices of the wine alone. Combine the food and the wine it's lovely. It also depends on how you view food. I love a good meal and when it's warranted will pay the extra. I love good wine as well so for me it's a no brainer. I also reallllly loved my group and we enjoyed the experience together.

2 hours ago, kontraxed said:

If you don't like wine will the serve beer at the Chef's Table?

Not as far as I'm aware, no. It's meant to be a wine and food pairing.

Don't get me wrong, learning what I have about craft beers and different beer varieties, I'd love a Chef's Table where the pairings were all different beers. But Royal's ships barely carry any beer varieties that are what I'd consider even half-decent, never mind "good stuff" (and the wines served are all very much "the good stuff", at least for my palate and budget ?), so I can't see this happening. Maybe could be done on Celebrity, their ships have a much better beer selection from menu photos I've seen; but no way on Royal unless they make a big change.

1 hour ago, Yo2slick said:

Ive been considering booking it but Im kinda picky and afraid I wouldn't enjoy some of the items.  Could be completely wrong though.

Are you referring to the food? I'm not real exotic in my taste but everything was very good, I don't remember anything that wasn't edible. I don't drink so this was one of those Happy Wife Happy Life situations, she enjoyed it.

10 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Are you referring to the food? I'm not real exotic in my taste but everything was very good, I don't remember anything that wasn't edible. I don't drink so this was one of those Happy Wife Happy Life situations, she enjoyed it.

Yes the food...I was looking over some of the menus and Im not a huge wine drinker.  I think the wife would get far more out of it than I would.

6 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

Does anyone know if they have any non-alcoholic wine options to pair with? I know it's a long-shot but thought it worth asking. 

I know they do this on Celebrity if you let them know ahead of time, and apparently it's not just red and white sparkling grape / apple juice. ? Haven't heard of this option on Royal, but if X does it then Royal might; I'd just try and email someone, or maybe call Crown & Anchor.

48 minutes ago, Momof4crazytocruise said:

My husband is pushing back a little, but I know he will love it if I just tell him we're doing it. First cruise without our kids, which we'd never be able to do this if they were with us. It's our 10th Anniversary, so I am thinking I may just book it and apologize later. LOL.

I'm about ready to do the same with a Jamie's Italian lunch reservation. Can't get my wife to agree to any kind of add-on purchase beyond the refreshment and internet packages, even a small one like that. May just fall back on, "It's better to ask forgiveness than permission." ? 

2 hours ago, YOLO said:

I have no interest in the Chef's Table at full price, but for half price where do I sit?

It depends on the ship...on freedom, it was in the main dining room in a little middle area.  On vision,  it was in a little room off the mdr.  I can't remember on adventure lol!  We loved it !  For the person who asked about beer, someone told me they did get a beer flight, but on the smaller ships you are likely (as Joe said) not getting any major great pairings.  

I will tell you the food and wine pairings I have had have been the best on any royal ship.  It's a great experience to do at least once!  I just did my review of our experience in my Europe love blog on this site.  Jane

• 4 months later...
On 8/5/2019 at 11:37 PM, mom2mybugs said:

It depends on the ship...on freedom, it was in the main dining room in a little middle area.  On vision,  it was in a little room off the mdr.  I can't remember on adventure lol!  We loved it !  For the person who asked about beer, someone told me they did get a beer flight, but on the smaller ships you are likely (as Joe said) not getting any major great pairings.  

I will tell you the food and wine pairings I have had have been the best on any royal ship.  It's a great experience to do at least once!  I just did my review of our experience in my Europe love blog on this site.  Jane

On the Harmony it is in a separate section in the Solarium.  We were approached on the last day of the cruise about purchasing the dinner/wine pairing and when we said that we would decline since we are non drinkers we were told that the price without wine would be only $35 per person.  Best money we ever spent.  The filet we were served was huge, and the most tender and flavorful we’ve ever had. All courses were beautifully plated, deliciously prepared, and we couldn’t eat it all.  I highly recommend it.