Alaska cruise for family, recommendations

Agreed..if cost is the ultimate factor the roundtrip Ovation out of a Seattle will give you a nice taste of Alaska and also allow you to easy fly roundtrip.  It's the ship with the most kid-friendly activities that Royal has on the Alaska itineraries.  The ship has indoor skydiving, Flowrider surfing simulator, indoor pool, rock wall and the Northstar all included.

One-way cruises require flying in and out of different ports which sometimes can be more expensive..but if you're going for ITINERARY then the north/southbound cruises on Radiance will give you access to more ports.  

My wife and I have booked our first Alaska cruise for May of 2020 out of Seattle on the Ovation OTS. The price was right, we enjoy the larger ships, and we can get a direct flight into Seattle. 

But definitely do your research and choose the best cruise for you.  

We did the Radiance southbound last year (2018) and liked it so much that we recently booked the northbound for May 2020 and taking 2 youngest, 18 & 21 this time. For us it is definitely the itinerary. And we enjoy the smaller ships ?

If I were to do Ovation it would only be the itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. If I'm not mistaken - Ovation only stops at Juneau and Skagway. Radiance also stops at Icy Strait. For some that's not a great port however we had a great time there and look forward to stopping again.