Swim Dress Code

Hi @Blackmagic17, welcome to the forums!

If you're asking if thong / spaghetti-strap bikinis and speedos are the norm on the ship, most definitely not! Lots of people in one-piece bathing suits or swim trunks and a swim shirt for some sun protection, along with the folks who are comfortable in a two-piece bikini or just the swim trunks. You may have the occasional person harkening back to the 70s and 80s in their choice of swimwear, but they seem to be few and far between.

20 hours ago, JLMoran said:

If you're asking if thong / spaghetti-strap bikinis and speedos are the norm on the ship, most definitely not! Lots of people in one-piece bathing suits or swim trunks and a swim shirt for some sun protection, along with the folks who are comfortable in a two-piece bikini or just the swim trunks. You may have the occasional person harkening back to the 70s and 80s in their choice of swimwear, but they seem to be few and far between.

So we just got off the Fantasy and I was actually really surprised how many thong bottoms I saw.  (Didn't bother me but was just surprised). 

21 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I have, on occasion, seen men wearing speedos. 

For cruises in North America Royal is a family oriented cruise line.  Revealing swimwear will likely be called out and frowned upon.  Cruises in Europe may follow different trends.

I'm over the Speedo limit.  As Johnny Carson said, "If you look down and can't see your Speedo, you're over the Speedo limit".

That being said I did see some younger guys wearing a Speedo on Empress.  Some things can't be unseen.

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

For cruises in North America Royal is a family oriented cruise line.  Revealing swimwear will likely be called out and frowned upon.  Cruises in Europe may follow different trends.

I can imagine some people would "frown" upon this, but who would be the party "calling it out"?   I can't imagine Royal would if they can hardly enforce their MDR dress code, LOL

Just now, Ladyxsuebee said:

I can imagine some people would "frown" upon this, but who would be the party "calling it out"?   I can't imagine Royal would if they can hardly enforce their MDR dress code, LOL

Security would be called to deal with it.  Pool staff wouldn't try to handle it themselves.

Royal does not have an MDR dress code.  They have dress suggestions and they intentionally are very generous with MDR dress.

7 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

If you take a cruise out of San Juan on Freedom, you are likely to see more Brazilian cut verses thong.

Hah! Oh good! I was planning on reserving that little number for port-only appearances but good to know it'll be okay on the pool deck as well. 

58 minutes ago, LetsTryThisPlace said:

I also wonder if they would be picky if you were in the adult area.

I would wonder this too, if they are more strict around the kids areas.  Also would security be inclined to say anything at all, or only if someone complained? 

@twangster   Have you seen security make anyone leave before?   I don't plan on wearing a thong or anything, I'm just really curious.  The only time I've ever seen security enforce swim suit rules is when one girl refused to wear one (top).  I thought it was quite amusing to see her run around and have security chase her.  My amusement ended when she attempted to go through the buffet line sans top.  Security got her there!  LOL

1 minute ago, Ladyxsuebee said:

I would wonder this too, if they are more strict around the kids areas.  Also would security be inclined to say anything at all, or only if someone complained? 

@twangster   Have you seen security make anyone leave before?   I don't plan on wearing a thong or anything, I'm just really curious.  The only time I've ever seen security enforce swim suit rules is when one girl refused to wear one (top).  I thought it was quite amusing to see her run around and have security chase her.  My amusement ended when she attempted to go through the buffet line sans top.  Security got her there!  LOL

I've not seen it with my own eyes but I often talk to the crew and hear interesting stories.  Bartenders who work the pool bar see a lot.  

When Freedom came back from Europe in 2017 she had an area marked for topless sunbathing.

davKz4x.jpg

Sadly did not see any participants.  Maybe all my camera gear scared them away.

47 minutes ago, kontraxed said:

Some folks just shouldn't be seen in a swim suit at all,

Sigh. Not to be disrespectful to your opinion but this hard to read and my eyes just rolled to the back of my head. Everyone should wear a swimsuit in the pool, if they so choose...whatever they may weigh. I say this as someone who refuses to wear a bathing suit because I think I look awful. Honestly, I love seeing confidence in anyone, no matter their weight. My issues are mine alone and I would never impose them on anyone else. We should all be comfortable in our skin and not make people feel bad for how they look.

48 minutes ago, kontraxed said:

and others (in my humble opinion) can wear as little as they wish

Even bigger sigh.

On 8/4/2019 at 12:26 PM, Blackmagic17 said:

Can you wear less revealing swimwear on a RCC? I can’t find anything that says you can’t.

Not sure exactly what you mean but wear a rash guard and board shorts in the pool. Not sure you physically wear more than that because gravity.....

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Some things can't be unseen.

You said it, I was thinking it! Ha! 

I bought a pair of speedo brand bathing suit (but it's a regular man's bathing suit) just so I can do this joke: "be right back, going to put on my Speedos!" ... They are usually relieved to see a "normal" bathing suit when I return.

Just going to put this out there, but I happen to like my Speedo (even when I didn't necessarily have the body for it--I feel better about it now because of the fact that I have been working out regularly for the last two years). It's been my experience that some (not all) persons' discomfort with the Speedo is a reflection on their own body discomfort. Let's remember that cruising is an international past time and there are different views on swim wear in other parts of the world.  **getting off my soapbox**

All this said, my husband in one of our contacts with Royal customer service asked specifically about whether or not Speedos were allowed in the pool area and Royal said yes and made no distinction about the family areas versus the adult areas.

17 hours ago, sabarwolf said:

It's been my experience that some (not all) persons' discomfort with the Speedo is a reflection on their own body discomfort.

That's exactly why I'd never wear one, no matter how great my body looks. However, whether you have the everyday gym bod, dad bod, or even a bit more 'fluffy' there is nothing wrong with owning it. 

Just FYI...on the Europe cruise I'm on, there have been speedos/thongs/brief bikini bottoms/girls as old as 10 no tops.  Plenty of pretty revealing bikinis and several loosened straps when laying on stomachs (but no actual topless frontal sunning or walking around).  I found on my last Caribbean cruise in March several things or the really small cut in the back that doesn't really cover.  Jane

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:26 PM, Blackmagic17 said:

Can you wear less revealing swimwear on a RCC? I can’t find anything that says you can’t.

How did this devolve into a discussion of what's too revealing and whether Royal should police it? The original question was about how COVERED can you be (see above).

10 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

How did this devolve into a discussion of what's too revealing and whether Royal should police it? The original question was about how COVERED can you be (see above).

True, but it looks like one question begs the other.  It's human nature I guess...

I went on the Mariner twice in July and there were all varieties of swimwear being worn.  I was a bit surprised at the number of "almost" thongs being worn, even by larger people who had no business wearing them.  LOL  Do your thing I guess.   Everyone seemed to be oblivious to this for the most part.  There's no topless area on the North American cruises but other than that it seems anything goes.

On 8/5/2019 at 1:11 PM, twangster said:

I've not seen it with my own eyes but I often talk to the crew and hear interesting stories.  Bartenders who work the pool bar see a lot.  

When Freedom came back from Europe in 2017 she had an area marked for topless sunbathing.

davKz4x.jpg

Sadly did not see any participants.  Maybe all my camera gear scared them away.

No chair hogs here!