Has anyone gone to the Big Blue Hole in Ocho Rios ?

WAAAYTOOO

One of our group in the blog group cruise on the Allure is organizing an excursion to the big blue hole near Ocho Rios.  It looks absolutely amazing...beautiful, but it also seems remote.

Has anyone ever gone there ?  Any insights ?

It looks like a big blue hole in the water...sure 'nuff....but we have 1 cruiser who does not swim and is very hesitant to take this excursion b/c she doesn't want to just float around on a small boat all day.   Are there any hotels, restaurants, beach areas around it where she could spend the day if the others want to go out on the water ?  It just looks like some kind of atoll or reef around a big sink hole in the water.  I didn't see any structures in the area.

Thanks for the help !

You're right.  It is a 75 minute drive

That sounds right.  I really, really wanted to go there but that's bit of a hike. 

Interestingly RC does not offer an excursion there but in Cozumel you can go to places like Chitchen Itza through RC and it's even a longer commute.

I would say you could definitely do this on your own, but it depends largely on your comfort of taking an excursion on your own.

Yeah, I think we're going to take the chance.  One of our group members is setting it up with a company he uses frequently.  I am going against one of my own prime rules here and doing a private excursion to a distant location.  Oh well...rules are made to be broken, right  ?

May I ask what company it is? Might be useful for future reference.

So the name of the company that Mike has used for years on many different islands is Island Marketing.  I have been on 2 such excursions - one ATV excursion on St. Thomas and one jungle /zipline excursion in Belize.  Both well run and fun excursions.

It turns out that the [rapidly-evolving-into-something-WAAAYTOOO-complicated, IMO] blue hole excursion, developing for Jamaica is NOT through Island Marketing, as I had believed.  This trip is with Excursions in Jamaica.  I have neither used them before nor have any knowledge of their reliability...but I am out of the loop on planning this one.  I'm just along for the ride.

What began as a trip to the Big Blue Hole has now evolved into The Blue Hole, Secret Falls & River Tubing & Jerk Chicken Lunch Excursion...which sounds like WAAAYTOO much to do that far from Falmouth.  It's 75 minutes each way to Negril (presumed site of the BBH).  It's hard releasing control when you are an obsessive planner like I am !  :)

Pray for us.

So now the saga has taken yet another unexpected twist. It seems that there are [at least] 2 big blue holes. One is a big blue hole in the ocean and another is a smaller big blue hole in a river somewhere....presumably somewhere in one of the ocho rios.

I am completely confused about which is which and which is where. I need clarification. Anyone ?

• 7 months later...

One of our group in the blog group cruise on the Allure is organizing an excursion to the big blue hole near Ocho Rios.  It looks absolutely amazing...beautiful, but it also seems remote.

Has anyone ever gone there ?  Any insights ?

It looks like a big blue hole in the water...sure 'nuff....but we have 1 cruiser who does not swim and is very hesitant to take this excursion b/c she doesn't want to just float around on a small boat all day.   Are there any hotels, restaurants, beach areas around it where she could spend the day if the others want to go out on the water ?  It just looks like some kind of atoll or reef around a big sink hole in the water.  I didn't see any structures in the area.

Thanks for the help !

I have read your other posts. Have you gone on the excursion tubing and to the blue hole yet?  We are thinking about it on our cruise at the end of Oct.  Please let me know what you thought about it.  Thanks so much.

There were others in my group that went.  I did not go.

The others enjoyed it but they did mention that it was a lot of walking, climbing and heavy physical exertion.  I would never have made it.

Also...there was an original misunderstanding on what and where this excursion was.  DH had taken a photo of the big blue hole in BELIZE (which is a big, blue hole in the open ocean) and miscommunicated it as the big blue hole in Jamaica.  The big blue hole in Jamaica is inland and is relatively small.  This is the excursion that my group took.

They said they enjoyed it but that it was a one-time thing - they would not do it again.  They said the water was very cold as it was fresh water coming straight out of the mountains.

If you go, I hope you have a great time !

Honestly I cannot remember them saying anything about tubing. I'm gonna say "no" to that.

I cannot recall what else may have been included. I think they just did their own thing. I know they hiked from the blue hole to some other location but what they did there, I just don't remember what they said.

Honestly, I was so relieved that I chose NOT to go, I don't really remember much about their trip.