Vegan choices!?!

Matt recently posted a third party news article about vegan main dining room choices starting August 1st.  https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/08/02/new-vegan-menu-be-added-royal-caribbeans-main-dining-room#disqus_thread

Can fellow bloggers confirm this is now across the fleet. My partner and I are 6 months in on being plant based and are thrilled with the health benefits.  Having these choices just makes us more loyal to Royal!

14 minutes ago, Irieman said:

Matt recently posted a third party news article about vegan main dining room choices starting August 1st.  https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/08/02/new-vegan-menu-be-added-royal-caribbeans-main-dining-room#disqus_thread

Can fellow bloggers confirm this is now across the fleet. My partner and I are 6 months in on being plant based and are thrilled with the health benefits.  Having these choices just makes us more loyal to Royal!

@mom2mybugshave you seen this?

It just went into effect earlier this week, and will not really go into effect until a ship returns to homeport after Aug 1.

That being said, you could have always gotten vegan items in the main dining room by asking. The difference here is now there will be a built in menu that you can order from to make it easier.

1 hour ago, CruiseGus said:

come on ?  you have to eat the same meal you ate before 2 or 3 days out of a 7 day cruise. 

With the statistics being about 3% of the USA population being Vegan, how special do they think they are, we as the general public should accommodate your every need?

How come all these special interests think they are so elite and special and have to have there own way?

Personally I think you should applaud Royal for even making an attempt to be more accommodating.

25% of American's 25-34 years of age identify as vegan/vegetarian.  Eating a predominately plant based lifestyle is the future.....Royal Caribbean is a business and they are looking beyond the boomer generation because, frankly, they are dying off.  

Why do you think their new ships look the way they do with I-fly, rock climbing walls, flowrider, sky pad, etc....they are trying to attract new generations of people and their kids.

People who eat plant based or gluten free don't think they are "elite" or "special", it's the way they eat for health reasons.  Some people eat this way for other reasons as well, but it's never to feel "elite or special', it's a belief reason. 

We should all be glad for more variety in food choices, shouldn't we?  

8 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

Personally I think you should applaud Royal for even making an attempt to be more accommodating.

It wasn't a knock on RC. I was simply asking a question to those that it will impact the most. I don't see how RC implementing a vegan menu makes vegans "so elite and special" in your words.

How does RC's implementing a vegan menu impact your life? Are they taking away some of your menu choices to accommodate the new vegan items?

You seem kind of angry about the whole thing.

23 hours ago, FManke said:

I wonder if this limited menu is enough to satisfy our vegan cruising friends. I'm not sure 4 or 5 choices would be enough to make me happy for entire week. Has anyone had luck requesting vegan menu items in the MDR as @Matthas suggested?

My experience has not been great.  Once I said I don't like Indian food, my choices diminished very quickly.  Once I just got a bowl of buttered broccoli & carrots, another night I asked for a big Caesar salad...then went to the WJ later.   But others have reported they had better options.  Our 12 night Serenade was the one with the veggies.  Two nights there was no vegetarian option on the menu.  The other nights I ordered the vegetarian option even though I had tried them all on Adventure and didn't like a couple.  On Grandeur, we only ate in the MDR two nights, as the same options were just not appealing to us.  We spent way too many days at sea...LOL   

On Brilliance we only ate in the MDR one night and it happened to be one of the vegetarian dishes I like; two nights we ate in specialty and I only ate side dishes those meals. We were with a large group so there was a lot of dishes put out family style, so I didn't ask about a vegetarian option.  I just ate what I liked based on what was put on the table.  At Giovanni's they tried to make me order an entree, so I did and gave it to someone else to eat.  Actually, now that I think about it, I did the same in Chops.  Just gave the meat to someone else to eat.

I find the WJ has the most options for me, as well as Izumi (veggie rolls) and Giovanni's/Jamie's (pasta). 

I'm thrilled that they are finally acknowledging the growing plant-based population.  I've been writing it on the survey since May 2018, that's when we changed the way we eat. 

16 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

Plant-based eating, aka vegetarian/vegan is not some fad to be accommodated.  It's been around for a very, very long time.  It's not like we are sitting down demanding a paleo meal that is also keto, that meets South Beach diet requirements, oh and can you make it under 3 Weight Watchers points?   

It's not all that hard to make a meal that has no animal product in it.  In fact, it would save them a lot of money.  Meat eaters sit down each night, and can choose from a beef, a chicken, a pork and a fish.  And the next night you sit down and get to choose again from different beef, different chicken, different pork and different fish.  Repeat times seven.  I sit down, look at a menu, and see one item.  The next night, repeat.  There are two menus in the rotation that do not even have a vegetarian option on them at all.  Why even bother giving me a menu in the first place?  Just tell me what I am eating that night, while everyone else gets to choose.  Again, not a fad diet.  Just looking for a plate with nicely prepared grains and vegetables, maybe even some beans, or pasta.  It's easy to offer that, minus the meat.  Why does the lasagna have to have ground meat in it?  Why does the spaghetti bolognese need ground meat in it?  It's very simple to offer everyone choices.  

Let's give you a menu with 4-5 choices for the week and see how you like it. 

On 8/2/2019 at 6:39 PM, Irieman said:

Congrats!  We started plant-based almost a year and a half ago, and I agree the health benefits are amazing.  My husband, whose blood work is responding a lot more quickly than mine is, will eat meat a couple times while on a cruise, but I try very hard not to.  I do not eat seafood, which he will.  We're on Oasis in December, so can't wait to try out this new menu.  We are on a Celebrity sailing before that, and from what I'm reading they are much farther ahead in plant-based meals than Royal.  

I will say as a one-time pescatarian but now back-to-ominvorism, I do like having the options of some vegetarian meals every so often. When we were in CK last October I had the cauliflower entree recommended to my wife and I to share with our regular entrees, and while I'm not a fan of cauliflower, I was very pleasantly surprised and would order that again. But that's CK, and I'm guessing not something that would be served in the MDR for "the plebes".

What I would really like to see added to all ships, be in JR or Playmakers or any other burger venue, is the option of getting either Beyond Burger or Impossible Burger. Even if it was an up-charge on top of the regular up-charge for a regular burger, I'd pay it. Not any different than in a land restaurant, and those are the first plant-based burgers I've had that actually make the cut of passing for a regular ol' medium rare beef patty.

And to those who say that plant-based diets are a fad -- Burger King just announced the Impossible Whopper, which will be made using Impossible Burger. BK isn't going to do something like that for a handful of people in a fad diet; they've seen there's growing demand for this sort of thing, and that people are quite willing to pay for it.

let me start with saying I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings.

I do believe that if Royal is offering a separate vegan/vegetarian menu each night with 4 or 5 choices on any night that this is pretty accommodating.

I did go back and redo my research on the subject and according to a 2018 Gallup poll and a 2016 Harris Polls the high numbers i can come up with are only around 9% of the US population.  Even the Vegan Society sets the numbers lower.

I am not debating weather it is a healthier diet as it obviously is and it is increasing in popularity especially among the health conscious. 

What I would put forth is the question of how mainstream is it yet?  How many non-specialty restaurants on land offer options?  In defense of that I do feel that Royal even putting out a special menu with 4 or 5 different choices on any given night is pretty accommodating.  Looks like BK is only offering you one choice to their normal fare.

Again this just my opinion and you are as entitled to yours as I am to mine, this is meant to be a civil discussion of opinions.

In closing I would like to provide a quote that I truly believe and try to live by.

" I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Voltaire (1694-1778) French writer and historian.

Enjoy your next cruise, I will mine.

10 hours ago, JLMoran said:

What I would really like to see added to all ships, be in JR or Playmakers or any other burger venue, is the option of getting either Beyond Burger or Impossible Burger. Even if it was an up-charge on top of the regular up-charge for a regular burger, I'd pay it. Not any different than in a land restaurant, and those are the first plant-based burgers I've had that actually make the cut of passing for a regular ol' medium rare beef patty.

And to those who say that plant-based diets are a fad -- Burger King just announced the Impossible Whopper, which will be made using Impossible Burger. BK isn't going to do something like that for a handful of people in a fad diet; they've seen there's growing demand for this sort of thing, and that people are quite willing to pay for it.

I would LOVE to see this option also in a burger venue. 

As you mentioned, it is gaining in mainstream popularity that not only is BK introducing it as a Whopper ( even though BK has already had a veggie burger on their menu for years), Carl's Jr also has it, and Hardee's is putting it on their menu as well. The demand has been so high for it that they ran out of it and couldn't keep up with the orders. 

@CruiseGus

The people that identify as 100% vegan might not be high percentage wise, but the way people eat is changing, and the demand for plant based choices is a market businesses aren't ignoring. 

Most all of the Restaurants (mainstream like chains as well) on the west coast almost always have vegan/vegetarian options. It's rare to find a restaurant that doesn't now. 

On 8/3/2019 at 4:34 PM, FManke said:

I wonder if this limited menu is enough to satisfy our vegan cruising friends. I'm not sure 4 or 5 choices would be enough to make me happy for entire week. Has anyone had luck requesting vegan menu items in the MDR as @Matthas suggested?

My sister-in-law travels with us often (she is also Diamond) and is vegan.  We have always had good luck at the MDR.  I think the key is talking to the Maitre'd or a Head Waiter on the very first day of the cruise.  That way it gets properly documented and in almost all cases, once we do that, she has a good experience.  At dinner, once we sit down our waiter will come to us and ask if anyone if someone has special requirements.  Once we say that Dee is vegan, they will offer her suggestions or she will tell the waiter what she wants, can or can't have, and they work something out together.  She is usually very satisfied.  Also every night, sometime during our meal, a special waiter will stop at our table to talk to her about her next night's meal.  This is a very nice gesture, but in practice it doesn't always work out every time.  Her best luck is to just work out a meal with our assigned waiter.  Nowadays we usually do My Time dining, so that waiter may not be the same each night.  It is good to see going forward she will have a printed menu to work off of - yay RCCL...

I should also add that she has never been to Chops, but has had good luck at Jamie's.

14 hours ago, KathyC said:

Why does the spaghetti bolognese need ground meat in it? 

Perhaps because Bolognese is a meat-based sauce? Otherwise, it's just marinara without the chunks of tomato.

I frequently choose to eat the vegetarian option on the MDR menu because I'm just not thrilled with the meat-based choices. Agree that there really isn't enough selection if that is your only option.

4 hours ago, Ladyxsuebee said:

Most all of the Restaurants (mainstream like chains as well) on the west coast almost always have vegan/vegetarian options. It's rare to find a restaurant that doesn't now. 

@ladyxsuebee 

Must be regional differences (I do know that USA Today and many magazines produce regional versions), as we almost never see those option here in the Midwest.  Don't really remember the options being prevalent on the East Coast where I mostly travel to and through.  I hardly ever travel west of the Rockies. 

On future trips I will make it a point start watching menus more carefully for vegan/vegetarian options if for no other reason than to be better informed .

I tried my first Impossible Burger in Texas at a burger place. TEXAS, the state of beef, BBQ, MEATTTT. I wasn't thinking of going plant based but we had gone to a steak house the night before and I was all beefed out. Felt pretty stupid ordering fake meat at a burger place but the cashier told me they all loved it. I loved it too and my meat eating friends were also impressed.

I appreciate non meat options, anywhere. I don't see it as catering to one specific group, I see it as all of us having more options.

@CruiseGus  There are no "Hardees" Chains here on the west coast, it's all Carl's Jr.  ( They are all owned by CKE )

I'm sure the Midwest is slower to adapt than the West/East coast, but they are coming around!

Are links allowed?  (If not, sorry!)  Here is a website reporting about Royal,  https://vegnews.com/2019/8/royal-caribbean-cruises-adds-vegan-menu-fleet-wide

and I found it interesting they said: this year, several major cruise companies have announced major vegan changes to their menus, including Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises, which are currently in the process of adding 200 vegan dishes to all of their ships. 

I just think it's great that they are incorporating more choices.  This Royal Alaskan cruise is my first "regular" cruise  ( I have done 5 music cruises; 2 Carnival, 3 NCL ) and the last cruise, NCL had the same menu every night in the MDR for 5 days.  It's a sad day when the only thing you look forward to is the veggie burger in the buffet LOL.  Although there were other upcharge options, I wasn't very interested in that ship's ( NCL Pearl) specialty restaurants; Teppanyaki, French, or Italian (which didn't have all that rave of reviews so didn't sound like it was worth the upcharge to me) 

I'm excited to see if RCL's food fares better overall.  The menu's seem to have better veggie options anyways.......I will report back if the Vegan choices are on the Ovation when I sail Sept. 13th  :1_grinning:

On 8/3/2019 at 11:34 PM, FManke said:

We haven't asked for vegan but our 16 year old has had a ton of success asking for curries and vegetarian options.  She has had a fair amount of variety!  Jane

On 8/5/2019 at 4:06 PM, ellcee said:

I tried my first Impossible Burger in Texas at a burger place. TEXAS, the state of beef, BBQ, MEATTTT. I wasn't thinking of going plant based but we had gone to a steak house the night before and I was all beefed out. Felt pretty stupid ordering fake meat at a burger place but the cashier told me they all loved it. I loved it too and my meat eating friends were also impressed.

I appreciate non meat options, anywhere. I don't see it as catering to one specific group, I see it as all of us having more options.

I thought the impossible burger at our local place was great, but my vegetarian daughter didn't like it... It tasted too much like meat lol. Jane

i'm a pescatarian (who doesn't always want to have seafood) . . . and I've found that by reading the whole menu I can get a picture in my mind of what they have in the kitchen and can order something wonderful that isn't on the menu  . . . such as pasta with broccoli or spinach and grilled shrimp, or hold the shrimp and toss the pasta with some delectable cheese, or ask for a stir-fry of vegetables with rice or quinoa  . . . in other words, just ask myself what I would put together for myself if I had access to the larder. Sometimes I order just sides, or two entrees, or soup plus an appetizer. Thinking outside the box can be very rewarding.

On 8/5/2019 at 9:06 AM, ellcee said:

I have a similar viewpoint.  On top of that, I have a family history of high cholesterol & type 2 diabetes, so now that I'm in my 40s, finding ways to stay ahead of that seems prudent.  I like going meatless at least a couple of meals a week, and while the Impossible burger certainly isn't a dead-ringer for it's beefy counterpart, it stands in for it well enough for me...

32 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

I have a similar viewpoint.  On top of that, I have a family history of high cholesterol & type 2 diabetes, so now that I'm in my 40s, finding ways to stay ahead of that seems prudent.  I like going meatless at least a couple of meals a week, and while the Impossible burger certainly isn't a dead-ringer for it's beefy counterpart, it stands in for it well enough for me...

If it's for health reasons that you're thinking of switching to the Impossible Burger, you may want to consider this (copied from https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/a27286383/impossible-burger/ , which please see):

"

Is an Impossible Burger healthy?

Compared to a same-sized beef patty, an Impossible Burger contains a comparable amount of calories (240 to 260), but it scores lower in a few regards. The first is that it contains way less protein — 19 grams versus 28 grams — which may make it less filling, London says.

"The bigger downside of the Impossible Burger is that it’s also 2 grams higher in saturated fat, likely because of the coconut oil that's added," she adds. "Coconut oilcontains the highest saturated fat content of any plant-based oil, despite its super 'health halo.'"

The Impossible Burger also contains a lot more sodium — about 15% of your recommended value, compared to just 4% in plain beef. 

25 minutes ago, tiny blonde said:

If it's for health reasons that you're thinking of switching to the Impossible Burger, you may want to consider this (copied from https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/a27286383/impossible-burger/ , which please see):

"

Is an Impossible Burger healthy?

Compared to a same-sized beef patty, an Impossible Burger contains a comparable amount of calories (240 to 260), but it scores lower in a few regards. The first is that it contains way less protein — 19 grams versus 28 grams — which may make it less filling, London says.

"The bigger downside of the Impossible Burger is that it’s also 2 grams higher in saturated fat, likely because of the coconut oil that's added," she adds. "Coconut oilcontains the highest saturated fat content of any plant-based oil, despite its super 'health halo.'"

The Impossible Burger also contains a lot more sodium — about 15% of your recommended value, compared to just 4% in plain beef. 

images.png