Liberty OTS Western Caribbean 8/11/19-8/18/19

cruisekyle

Howdy Y’all. I joined this board less than a month ago and in 10 days I will be on Liberty of The Seas. I’ve been reading all the live-blogs and I decided today that I am going to live blog my cruise---or at least try.

So a little background on this cruise, it started out in late as a Father Son (me) cruise. At the time we were trying to decide between another western Caribbean (this would be my 4th of those) or to Cuba. After much deliberation we decided that we cared more about the ship than the destinations, so we booked the Western Caribbean (and boy did we get lucky with that decision…no more Cuba now)  in an interior stateroom. Early July rolls around and we start watching some videos of our room, my Dad who has only cruised junior suites or higher was a little alarmed with the size and upgraded us to a Junior Suite. Then we get to mid July- my Mom asks to join the cruise. So we start to price it out and decide that we need to get an additional cabin. Well when looking at the cost for who to solo cruise vs. adding a 4th person was so small that we decided to add my girlfriend. So we add her and my Mom to a Balcony. Great everything is set in stone 1 month prior to the cruise. WRONG. We had one more big change. July 10th my father decides he wants a Grand Suite with my Mom. He calls to upgrade and they don’t have availability, so we get on the wait list. On the 15th we get a grand suite 1 bedroom. That brings us to today.

Where we stand now.

When: August 11, 2019 + 1 day before

Where: Cozumel, Falmouth, George Town, a day at the Houston Space Center the day before

Rooms:

• Junior Suite-with me (Kyle) and my girlfriend (Natalie)-we are still keeping our fingers crossed for a cancellation to upgrade to a grand suite or for the same to happen with our RoyalUp bid
  • Grand Suite (1 bedroom)-with my Mom (Brenda) and Dad (Ross)

Extras:

• The Key
  • Deluxe Drink Package
  • Unlimited Dining Package
  • All Access Tour
  • Galley Brunch

Excursions:

Atlantis Submarine Tour-Cozumel

Trolley Roger-Grand Cayman

About Us

• Me (Kyle) - I’m  21, and a Diamond status for the first time this cruise
  • The Girlfriend (Natalie)- 22, first time cruiser, never been out of the country, got lucky with C&A and they matched her to Diamond
  • Mom (Brenda) – Suite Lover, Diamond
  • Dad (Ross)-  Suite Lover, Diamond

I am really excited for this vacation and can’t wait to share it with y’all. I’m very interested to see for myself how the Key works out for us and compare it to the suite perks and Diamond perks. Most of y’all have much more experience with cruising and live blogging but, if y’all have anything you would like me to look at/investigate/ ask I would be happy to! 

Thanks for reading.

9 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Wow !  You came a long way from an inside room to looking at a Grand Suite. You won’t be disappointed if you get it.  Very, very nice on Liberty.  We will be on LIB on 8-25.

@WAAAYTOOO  Yes, we did come a very long way--and spent way more time on the phone with Royal than I would like to admit working our way up. I hope you have a great cruise too!

9 minutes ago, marti314 said:

Ill keep the Ship Clean and Tidy for your arrival on the 11th.  Ill be on This coming week Aug 4 - 11.

Well thank you very much. If you wouldn't mind sending the cruise compass my way once you get off I would really appreciate it. If not enjoy your cruise!

On 8/1/2019 at 11:59 AM, cruisekyle said:

Howdy Y’all. I joined this board less than a month ago and in 10 days I will be on Liberty of The Seas. I’ve been reading all the live-blogs and I decided today that I am going to live blog my cruise---or at least try.

Me and the family will be on the Liberty on the 11th as well.  Man Sunday needs to hurry up and get here!

10 hours ago, cruisekyle said:

Just an update for everyone, getting a little worried. Liberty didn’t leave Galveston until 3 am last night and I haven’t heard any explanations. It also sounds like she’s still not traveling at full speed. 

Ugh. We are on LIB in 2 weeks. Please let us know if you hear anything 

So good and bad news. I have figured out that Liberty arrived in Galveston early and apparently had divers waiting to start work of some sort. This makes me think that whatever is going on won’t actually change any future sailings as Liberty was able to be in port early, but Royal has yet to say anything official so this is all speculation.  

1 hour ago, cruisekyle said:

Fair warning, I’m a space fanatic so it would be hard for me to not love the space center, but I’ll have my family give honest reviews @melmar02

Understood. We'll have our kids with us, and my daughter will be quoting space facts to us all the way from Dallas to Houston! 

2 hours ago, cruisekyle said:

So good and bad news. I have figured out that Liberty arrived in Galveston early and apparently had divers waiting to start work of some sort. This makes me think that whatever is going on won’t actually change any future sailings as Liberty was able to be in port early, but Royal has yet to say anything official so this is all speculation.  

On trying to keep up with everything Liberty, this is at least the 2nd time if not the 3rd time that they have had divers in the water when docked in Galveston either fixing something or inspecting something, it has always delayed the cruise leaving port but never anything drastic.

And no, from the other post, Royal has never told exactly what they were doing.

On 8/7/2019 at 6:55 PM, cruisekyle said:

This morning we got the email from the concierge explaining all of our perks, her name is Eliana. We emailed her back to make our dining reservations and she was very prompt in her response. 

Do you know how long Eliana will be the concierge? Is MJ just on vacation, or moved to a different ship?

Just returned from Liberty, the work on 08/04/2019 was work on the Hull which was supposed to be finished at 11:30 PM but didnt get wrapped up until 2:30 AM.  We made it to Roatan right on time even with the 10 hour delay.  Ship is operating at full speed (Was doing 22.7 yesterday coming back to Galveston).  

I prefer they fix things thoroughly before leaving port, I dont care how long it takes... :)

Excellent Cruise, will do a writeup in the Blog section soon.