Mendenhall Glacier and Salmon Bake

firebuck

1501323032_ScreenShot2019-08-01at9_10_15AM.thumb.png.06c0e074e4a2a968a829601d198a0db7.png

Has anyone done this particular excursion? This is our first trip to Alaska, so we're really not sure what to expect. We're a group of 3 couples and we've settled on this particular excursion for Juneau. Just curious how long of a ride it is to the glacier, what sort of things there are to do there or is it simply a spot for photo ops (which I'm totally fine with because it's breathtaking from the picture here).  Any reviews from you all would help!

P.S. we were able to snag this one for $10 cheaper per person than what it's currently listed at a few weeks ago.

We visited Mendenhall on our own.  It was about a 20 minute ride from the port area.  We just took a shuttle bus that was at the port and paid for a round-trip ticket.  There is a visitor's center and some trails to hike. I hiked the trail to Nugget Falls with my 70ish year-old father and handled it just fine and I'm out of shape and super lazy ?  It's less than a mile to the falls and a really easy hike.  There are several other longer trails but I didn't personally take any of those.

If you really want to get up close to the glacier then I would suggest a kayaking excursion.  We saw those kayakers get really close to the glacier!

I've been to Alaska with Princess in 2018 and I've done this particular excursion.

The way to the glacier seemed a bit long. The driver stopped once on the way for us to take pictures. The visitor's center is all right but nothing much to see inside. You do not get that close to the glacier though, do not expect to walk just right in front of it. There are some great spots for pictures: mine looked just as it is on your advert. We didn't hike… I'm not sure that with this particular excursion you would have time to anyway, we stayed maybe an hour or so? 

Alaskan Bake was fun, and the food good. They take you to a fake old golden rush village, with people dressed up and a "band". They grill slices of salmon in front of you, it's got an amazing deep pink colour. You get some cold sides and soft drinks also. You eat outside BBQ style under canopies (hopefully it didn't rain…), then they let you some time to visit the place.

As a whole I wasn't unhappy with the excursion, however I found it a little bit… "tourist style", if you understand what I mean. I would rate it "average" to "average plus". This is my feeling about this experience.

• 4 years later...