Straws?

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Not only worthless but actually change the taste of your drink.  AWFUL !  I can't believe Royal fell for the great straw hoax !

We were in a place yesterday that put paper straws into their drinks (sodas) that were served in plastic cups! I was too tired to question them, but how weird is that?

I have stainless steel ones but also just bought some silicon ones from Ebay.     I will try them out and work out which I like the best for my next trip.     I use the stainless steel ones at home and work.   I love that a lot of restaurants and bars have changed to paper straws, the plastic ones are so bad for sea life.   

3 hours ago, jayde43 said:

I have stainless steel ones but also just bought some silicon ones from Ebay.     I will try them out and work out which I like the best for my next trip.     I use the stainless steel ones at home and work.   I love that a lot of restaurants and bars have changed to paper straws, the plastic ones are so bad for sea life.   

Pretty sure the paper ones are bad for tree life though ... ?

12 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

I've contemplated getting those. Do you find that it is hard to dry them and get all the soap out?

Nope, they rinse out fine, and the case is designed to allow the straws to dry inside of them.  And now they make them in purple, so I'll need to buy more, lol.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:05 AM, jticarruthers said:

Pretty sure the paper ones are bad for tree life though ... ?

made from recycled paper, of which we have a glut of.  The price of recycle paper has been going down for decades now. At least it is biodegradable, not like plastic.  I prefer plastics for structural items like 2x4s, plastic decking, flooring, item that will again be recycled, not throwaway items like straws.

remember paper straws from when I was young, they worked fine if your didn't let them soak forever in your drink

6 hours ago, FManke said:

I miss those straws and the little paper cone soda cups you used to get at the Woolworths lunch counter as a kid! Only other "seniors" like me will know what I'm talking about. ?

How about Rexall Drug Stores - they had the same paper cone cups.  The root beer was to die for.  I guess they used a very sugary syrup.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:33 PM, Momof4crazytocruise said:

Do I need to bring my own stainless steal or silicone straw so I can get my drink on? I remember reading somewhere that RCCL doesn't have plastic straws anymore?

Yeah, this is a bit of a nuisance.  My wife Ceil works at RISD and picked up some glass straws at a student sale.  Glass is great as it adds no taste whatsoever.  She has a case and brings them everywhere with her.  Me, I haven't used them since I was a kid (yes, at Rexall).  I guess I am old too like @FManke.  I must say I do have one exception to my rule - that's when I drink an occasional milkshake. (or Coffee Cabinet - a RI thing).

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 9:59 PM, Fuzzywuzzy said:

You can get a pack of about a zillion plastic straws at The Dollar Tree for a buck. 

I like this idea the best. Not that metal straws are expensive, but seems easier to carry a bunch (maybe 10?) on you and just go back to stateroom for more. You can even be kind and give them out. I have no problem reusing a plastic straw (I do it at home), just less worry of losing it or cleaning it or whatever.

I brought metal straws, the brush cleaner, in a nice canvas bag last cruise.  Used the straw once, then had to carry the dirty straw back to my cabin as there was no where to really clean it (other than the public bathroom) and it also made the canvas bag wet and yucky if you put it in there dirty.  I washed the bag when I got home and apparently it wasn't made for that...LOL  I don't drink a lot of frozen drinks, and other than those have no need for a straw.  One time I took the bag to the hot tub with me, knowing I was going to order a mudslide, and once we got there realized I had no where to put it once they took the glass away, as I was not going to put it on the tiles (make sure you're paying attention so they don't take the straw too).  

Too much work to bring my own straws. 

10 hours ago, KathyC said:

I brought metal straws, the brush cleaner, in a nice canvas bag last cruise.  Used the straw once, then had to carry the dirty straw back to my cabin as there was no where to really clean it (other than the public bathroom) and it also made the canvas bag wet and yucky if you put it in there dirty.  I washed the bag when I got home and apparently it wasn't made for that...LOL  I don't drink a lot of frozen drinks, and other than those have no need for a straw.  One time I took the bag to the hot tub with me, knowing I was going to order a mudslide, and once we got there realized I had no where to put it once they took the glass away, as I was not going to put it on the tiles (make sure you're paying attention so they don't take the straw too).  

Too much work to bring my own straws. 

Exactly why I will just bring plastic straws! However, you've made me realize to spring for the ones individually wrapped so I can toss a few anywhere!

Edit: Just went on Amazon and bought 200 individually wrapped straws for $8.00, I spent a little extra for the colorful ones. With upwards of 14 friends on board, I should buy two boxes LOL!

7 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Exactly why I will just bring plastic straws! However, you've made me realize to spring for the ones individually wrapped so I can toss a few anywhere!

Edit: Just went on Amazon and bought 200 individually wrapped straws for $8.00, I spent a little extra for the colorful ones. With upwards of 14 friends on board, I should buy two boxes LOL!

I love this idea !

Wow, I was hesitant to post about straws since everyone is being so environmentally friendly, but I feel right at home now in straw-land!  

I tried the stainless steel straws, and I know some people like them, but I personally don't.  

I have fancy paper straws, and they disintegrate before I've even finished my drink.  

I am definitely adding (can I say it? plastic) straws to my packing list.  I have the large milkshake ones with a flexible tip - in neon colors.  I bought them for about $3.99 at Walmart and they are BPA free! 

just a suggestion: 

https://www.amazon.com/Biodegradable-Compostable-Plant-Based-Eco-Friendly-Individually/dp/B078J4N5XF

still just like any other plastic straw, but safer for sea life because they break down, wont desintegrate like the paper straws... $2.50 more than regular plastic for 200, and individually wrapped...

or these:

https://www.amazon.com/200-Pack-100-Plant-Based-Compostable-Straws/dp/B07MZLLDZD/ref=pd_bxgy_121_img_2/140-0683482-6559335?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07MZLLDZD&pd_rd_r=b06ad743-b059-48ac-b132-1b023ab99857&pd_rd_w=3C5HA&pd_rd_wg=QoJgP&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=MR1GXHF0KXHV63Y4XKAW&psc=1&refRID=MR1GXHF0KXHV63Y4XKAW

$1.99 more than regular plastic straws for a 200 count, bendy, but not individually wrapped. :)

On 7/31/2019 at 8:08 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Not only worthless but actually change the taste of your drink.  AWFUL !  I can't believe Royal fell for the great straw hoax !

You are ABSOLUTELY correct!  I can not stand them, and would easily just bring my own or go without, I am not a big fan of the taste at all, you can taste the chemicals in the straw as you drink which absolutely ruins it!  We got a milkshake at Johnny Rockets and I had to drink it without the straw because it changed the flavor too much!  

I have the silicone straws that I can just pack in my purse or pocket and when I need it, just whip out the straw.  

But for the hub, plastic straws all the way, he's not used to the silicone ones yet.  So into a sandwich bag in the purse it goes.

My purse is slowly becoming the bottomless pit of "stuff"

1 hour ago, raahc said:

LOL, my hubby keeps "forgetting" our hand sanitizer

Thank you for putting "forgetting" in quotes. I can assure it's not out of absent-mindedness, we guys just don't believe in using that stuff. Soap and water for me, or nada. I don't like the feeling of soap residue on my hands after I rinse off and obsessively make sure my hands are rinsed clean and feel clean. Why on earth would I want to just leave all that residue still sitting on my hands, including those millions of bacteria carcasses? ?

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Thank you for putting "forgetting" in quotes. I can assure it's not out of absent-mindedness, we guys just don't believe in using that stuff. Soap and water for me, or nada. I don't like the feeling of soap residue on my hands after I rinse off and obsessively make sure my hands are rinsed clean and feel clean. Why on earth would I want to just leave all that residue still sitting on my hands, including those millions of bacteria carcasses? ?

LOL, he likes the stuff, just doesn't want it bulging out of his pockets ... I get it!  There are times when there is no soap/water around, but yes, soap and water is normally all you need, unless you have a weak immune system, and then it's a necessity imo ?