Bayonne (Cape Liberty) Winter Time What to wear

Amy G

This is the first time we are leaving from a Port that will be cold.  We are leaving from  Bayonne (Cape Liberty) Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas in Feb which will be really cold weather.  My question is what do people wear on board the first couple of days until we get to warmer weather?  I know we won't go outside the first couple of days down and back so we do dress wintery those days?  I'm so confused :)  HELP

The first day or two can be colder, so you will jeans, sweaters, etc. No different than if you were on land. 

By the end of day two, temps start to warm up and tshirts may begin to appear.

1 hour ago, Amy G said:

I know we won't go outside the first couple of days down and back so we do dress wintery those days?  I'm so confused ?

I'd recommend packing a couple pairs of jeans and a sweatshirt or two. Should suffice.

Hi @Amy G, welcome to the forums!

I'm assuming you meant to say you are sailing Anthem of the Seas, not Allure, as the latter doesn't currently sail out of Bayonne.

The last two winters in NY / NJ have been brutally cold in early February due to the Polar Vortex tending to make an appearance around that time. If you're sailing in later February, you may find it not as bad and temps in the 30s. For embarkation day, you'll probably want to be in layers you can easily remove once on board, as the interior of Anthem is generally kept at a comfortable temp all the time.

The Solarium pool area is completely enclosed and usually stays in the low or mid 80s so that people can be comfortable while in their bathing suits and using the pools and whirlpools. You also have the indoor pool area along with the Solarium; I didn't spend a lot of time in there, but since it acts as a bit of a buffer between the Solarium and the outdoor pool section, it tends to get more breezy when doors to the outside open up and won't be quite as warm as the Solarium all the time.

I'd recommending bringing on a small backpack with bathing suits if you want to use the Solarium pool before the rooms are ready; you can also use that to stuff any layers you choose to discard once on board until you can stow them in your cabin.

For reference, I sailed her in October last year and needed a leather jacket as well as long pants and a shirt with t-shirt underneath due to temps in the 40s. Once on board I was comfortable and not over-warm after taking off the jacket; had to lug that around until the rooms opened, since it was too big for my backpack.

It will most likely be very cold and windy...I have found that dressing in layers on the first day is the best way to go, especially if you want to spend some time outdoors, like at sailaway. A warm coat, hat and gloves are a good idea, just remember you have to store them afterward. And you’ll most likely need them upon your return. Usually the weather tends to moderate once you’re rounding Cape Hatteras and enter into the Gulf Stream. The Anthem has one thing the other class ships don’t...the Solarium is completely enclosed. There are no openings between the roof glass panels that let the wind in (and warmth out!). So sitting in the pools or hot tubs, sipping on a sailaway beverage, in a warm, comfortable area with those huge glass windows looking out onto the windy, icy Hudson River is a treat! Even the enclosed family pool is a nice area...just try to stay away from the doors to the outside pool area, as passengers keep coming in and out.