USB Hub?

They may consider that a power strip because of the outlets on and that's all they would recognize on a scanner.  They don't allow those because of the surge protection on it.

We've used a USB only power hub with no issues.

Anker USB Wall Charger, 60W 6 Port USB Charging Station, PowerPort 6 Multi USB Charger for iPhone XS/Max/XR/X/8/7/Plus, iPad Pro/Air 2/Mini/iPod, Galaxy S9/S8/S7/Edge/Plus, Note, LG, HTC, and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P936188/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_IQcqDbQJ05G87

Thanks, that's what I was concerned about, and thank you for the link! Does the ship supplied outlet have two plugs? One to plug my laptop into and one for the USB wall charger. Also, (I'm in a small room on the Empress) is the outlet next to a table where I can set my electronics on, or is it like in the bathroom? ? And, are they grounded (three plug) outlets or just two pronged? So many questions...

4 minutes ago, TetonPost said:

Thanks, that's what I was concerned about, and thank you for the link! Does the ship supplied outlet have two plugs? One to plug my laptop into and one for the USB wall charger. Also, (I'm in a small room on the Empress) is the outlet next to a table where I can set my electronics on, or is it like in the bathroom? ? And, are they grounded (three plug) outlets or just two pronged? So many questions...

@twangster is on Empress right now so may be able to shed some light on the outlet situation..although he is in a junior suite.

I have not been on Empress, but the outlet situation on most ships that I have been on have the single outlet by the desk/vanity.  I would just charge the laptop as needed and while it is charging you can use the laptop's USB ports to charge other devices if needed.   I think the US outlets are all 2 prong only without the third grounding pin.  They do have a European outlet as well but you would need to buy a converter for that and make sure your charging device could handle the 220VAC output.

This article explains a little of the why of not allowing the power strips and also shows a photo https://www.cruisehabit.com/power-strips-why-theyre-not-allowed-ships-and-how-safely-gain-some-extra-outlets

Great advice, informative link! I'm going to just plug my laptop into the two-prong 110. I already have an external USB hub for the laptop so I'll just charge my other devices from there. I went ahead and bought one of those 220 converters, it may come in handy, but a little leery on that. Anyway, thank you, they don't make it easy considering the digital age we live in!

12 minutes ago, TetonPost said:

Great advice, informative link! I'm going to just plug my laptop into the two-prong 110. I already have an external USB hub for the laptop so I'll just charge my other devices from there. I went ahead and bought one of those 220 converters, it may come in handy, but a little leery on that. Anyway, thank you, they don't make it easy considering the digital age we live in!

Hi @TetonPost  Welcome to the RCB forum!

I think this situation will be improving over time.  I always bring wall-wart USB chargers which never seem to be a problem.  But we were just on the Anthem and there was 2 USB charging ports built into our room which worked without incident.  I used them the entire 9N cruise and never needed to use those USB wall-wart DC power supplies I carried with me.  I think we will see more of this going forward... 

I have brought this on 2 cruises this year without issue

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Port-USB-hub-Charging-Dock-Station-Charger-Stand-organizer-Tablet-iPAD-Phone/254222719913?epid=2018166054&hash=item3b30dadba9:g:UA4AAOSwnbZYCvzf

With that said...after the last one I decided I didn't need it....at least on Anthem....there were plenty of USB charging spots around the room for all our crap

10 hours ago, ZMANATL said:

I picked up one of these.. recommended on some other cruise sites.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MLXW6QS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm planning on using something similar, but expanding the USB ports by bringing a regular small hub as well. (Just tested a few moments ago--slow charge, but will charge.)

I used one of these Anker USB wall chargers back in May. I believe this was recommended here on the forum some time ago... we loved it for charging our iPhones, iPads, Fitbit watch, Bose Bluetooth speaker, GoPro battery charger, etc... naturally anything that can charge with a USB.

“Amazon‘s Choice”... 4.7 out of 5.0 star rating... almost 6,000 ratings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P936188/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 7 months later...
On 7/30/2019 at 6:40 PM, Andrew72681 said:

You run the risk of them taking anything that has a standard 110v outlet on it. Anything that is strictly USB is usually pretty safe. 

Is this item allowed I’m sailing on the liberty and need something to charge everything I’m bringing. 

CD6B14B6-765E-4ACC-9E6D-D2950808CC00.png

On 7/30/2019 at 9:11 AM, ZMANATL said:

I picked up one of these.. recommended on some other cruise sites.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MLXW6QS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I asked Royal Caribbean on Twitter if this type charger was acceptable since I had heard it was. They said it is not. I even sent a picture to them via Twitter to confirm. So I just purchased the usb hub without outlets.  I’d be interested if others have successfully taken these on the ship. 

2 hours ago, Kathleen said:

I asked Royal Caribbean on Twitter if this type charger was acceptable since I had heard it was. They said it is not. I even sent a picture to them via Twitter to confirm. So I just purchased the usb hub without outlets.  I’d be interested if others have successfully taken these on the ship. 

That is a tough one. Anything with standard 110v ports is going to raise the eye if screeners. You might get through with it or you might have your bag flagged and end up down in the contraband room trying to explain yourself. 

The biggest problem is there seems to be no consistence on what is allowed and what is not allowed.  Anything with a 110v port may be confiscated by the ports contract security during check-in one cruise and not the next cruise.  If its in our luggage it may or may not require a trips to the naughty room...Just depends on who is doing the scanning.  Since just about all of our electronics are USB rechargeable, we only us this USB charger hub and have never had a problem. 

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone-Galaxy/dp/B00P936188/ref=sxin_2_ac_d_rm?ac_md=0-0-dXNiIGh1YiBjaGFyZ2Vy-ac_d_rm&cv_ct_cx=usb+hub+charger&keywords=usb+hub+charger&pd_rd_i=B00P936188&pd_rd_r=f99b56ae-dfe4-4b71-ba18-d5fc7aa82650&pd_rd_w=E0WeQ&pd_rd_wg=i6Bqr&pf_rd_p=ec111f65-4a46-499c-be78-f47997212bd0&pf_rd_r=EQM5WJNPFQDYYVEQ0977&psc=1&qid=1583249549