Juneau Whale Watching

PG Cruiser

4 hours ago, RatedPG said:

Hi All!  Can somebody who has been on an excursion that involves whale watching in Juneau share some feedback about it? What can you say, @SpeedNoodles?

We took the Whale Watching and Wildlife Quest tour offered by Royal Caribbean.  The tour operators were very knowledgeable about the area, whales, and other various species of wildlife, including knowing specific individuals that they were able to point out to us.  We were able to watch a cow with her calf for quite a while (Flame, who is a very well-known whale in the area, and her young approx 6-mo old calf, Torch), several other individuals, and near the end the pilot went in search of a specific whale that he knew was in the area/ (Mr. Wiggles). Suddenly when we were all searching for Mr Wiggles, my husband spins me around to look off of the back of the boat just in time to see a Humpback they call "Sasha" breaches high above the water about 50 feet away!  No more than about 4 people actually caught the sight of her, some just heard the giant splash when she landed back in the water, and many were never aware that it even happened.  It was the highlight of the entire trip - we continued to watch her for another 20 minutes after that.  We probably saw a total of at least 7-10 individual whales that afternoon.  I would take another whale-watching excursion in the area again in a heartbeat.  We did not see any Orcas, but considering that Orca will feed on Humpback Whale calves, we were ok with that.

Sasha:

4 hours ago, RatedPG said:

@SpeedNoodles, there is a package that includes the Mendenhall Glacier in addition to your package. It's roughly $30 more.  Do you think it's worth it?  Wouldn't the schedule be too crammed with all the activities?

Yes, if you've never been there, I'd definitely consider that one.  We did not this time as we've never been whale watching, but we've been to Mendenhall. This was our 3rd trip to Alaska and we plan on going back within the next two years so we're able to space things out a bit.

16 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Yes, if you've never been there, I'd definitely consider that one.  We did not this time as we've never been whale watching, but we've been to Mendenhall. This was our 3rd trip to Alaska and we plan on going back within the next two years so we're able to space things out a bit.

Thanks!

We just got back from our Alaska cruise.  I HIGHLY recommend the Glacier Photo Safari and Whale Watching Tour.  Smaller group than the rest of the tours that left on a big coach bus.  Our tour guide was beyond knowledgeable and super sweet.  Lyndi took us first to Mendenhall Glacier, with a short hike to the glacier.  Taught us some great tricks for better photographs using either SLR cameras or iPhones.  We actually saw salmon swimming up stream too. She handed out huge yummy snack bags on the way to the boat tour.  Then we got on the boat with Captain Jen who found us so many whales, we lost count!!  Her boat was smaller and we were able to be as close to the whales as is allowed.  Truly amazing seeing these beautiful whales up close.  We also saw lots of eagles and a few seals.  I was able to get this tour on sale on the RC site.  I would have paid full price for all we got!!    

Our Juneau excursion was cancelled at the last minute so we jumped on an excursion that included both viewing the glacier and whale watching. We initially avoided the whale watching tours because we figured we see one or two from our balcony on the ship, which we did but nothing like the tour. Turns out the whale watching turned out to be one of the highlights and the pictures were fabulous. The whales we watched happen to be right in front of one of the many small glaciers in Alaska which made the pictures fabulous. I don't think you will be disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, carlosalonsor said:

The Helicopter Glacier Trek hands down has been the best excursion I've ever made. It's expensive but it's worth every penny!  

Totally agree and now my wife is scouring every port we visit for helicopter tours!!!!

BTW we did the whale watching trip out of Icy Strait Point and had a great trip with lots of humpback whales, sea lions, sea otters, etc.

unnamed (1).jpg

We did Harv and Marv`s whale watching.  So glad we did.  It was highly recommended.  They are not a RC sponsored excursion.  The boats are small. Had 8 people on our boat.  They pick you up at the pier.  Most other tours are on large boats.  Harv and Marv`s  can get close to the whales where as others can`t as the boats are to slow once they are spotted.  Their web site has a nice video.