Packing and Planning

On 8/14/2019 at 9:03 AM, Apatt08 said:

thanks, these are pretty extensive lists, I am now freaking out that I don't have enough luggage!! 

I wouldn't worry about not having enough luggage. How long is your trip? Just remember if you have to you can always purchase something if you forgot it (could be a fun souvenir) OR pay for laundry if need be. 

I group and photograph all my clothes using Pinterest. I had a brain injury and can be forgetful and get tired so have to pack in stages . This meant I was forgetting what I was packing But now this really works for me. I use Pinterest to save it . And make notes in the description like “ can wear black heels with 4of8 dresses “ etc.  

I wish I’d read about packing cubes before I packed . They seem awesome but not really a UK think I don’t think.  I will try them for my next trip though. 

This is my first cruise so I’m just hoping I’ve packed enough and I’ve packed the right stuff.  We fly in 4 days so time will tell. Very excited though. 

My other half hasn’t even started packing yet an dit’s stressing me just a tad but I’ve made sure he does have everything when he finally decides to pack it !!!

D3F12C44-8B71-491E-ACBA-63B628FA15B0.png

E3AD0740-544D-4DE2-9A77-358F8E52AC12.jpeg

8 hours ago, Kpak said:

I group and photograph all my clothes using Pinterest. I had a brain injury and can be forgetful and get tired so have to pack in stages . This meant I was forgetting what I was packing But now this really works for me. I use Pinterest to save it . And make notes in the description like “ can wear black heels with 4of8 dresses “ etc.  

I wish I’d read about packing cubes before I packed . They seem awesome but not really a UK think I don’t think.  I will try them for my next trip though. 

This is my first cruise so I’m just hoping I’ve packed enough and I’ve packed the right stuff.  We fly in 4 days so time will tell. Very excited though. 

My other half hasn’t even started packing yet an dit’s stressing me just a tad but I’ve made sure he does have everything when he finally decides to pack it !!!

That is similar to what we did (photography). Only we did it so far out. My BF actually packed like he was going while as I packed some things as fillers depending on my weight loss journey but i have an overall idea. I'm sure you've packed enough! Enjoy your trip! 

On 7/29/2019 at 6:20 PM, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Thanks! This will be my longest trip ever. My BF and I are planning on trying to pack in one large suitcase instead of two small ones (idk if that will happen bc I want to bring back cheese from St. Maarten). 

I can rock out a 3-5 night trip but for some reason this 8night is just throwing me for a loop.

I agree - most things can be worn twice, but be careful about packing only one bag.  if it gets lost (airline) and you don't get it back before ship leaves, you're up the creek.  Take two and pack some things for each of you in each bag.  If one gets lost, you both still have something to wear:)  And, it will leave more room for souvenirs:)

On 7/29/2019 at 6:20 PM, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Thanks! This will be my longest trip ever. My BF and I are planning on trying to pack in one large suitcase instead of two small ones (idk if that will happen bc I want to bring back cheese from St. Maarten). 

I can rock out a 3-5 night trip but for some reason this 8night is just throwing me for a loop.

I agree - most things can be worn twice, but be careful about packing only one bag.  if it gets lost (airline) and you don't get it back before ship leaves, you're up the creek.  Take two and pack some things for each of you in each bag.  If one gets lost, you both still have something to wear:)  And, it will leave more room for souvenirs:).

Also, I start putting stuff in a "cruise" pile in a separate room as soon as I have picked shore excursions (they may require unusual attire, e.g., hiking boots). That way I can see if I need to order anything special to take (i.e. water resistant pants for our Alaska outings!) and have them in plenty of time instead of discovering the week before that I'm missing something.  I start packing the suitcases the week before, leaving.  Laying stuff out to see what can be mixed/matched helps pack less too:)

We also use the list, finely tuned after a few cruises and the packing cubes. But we also use the vacuum bags for some items. Not the kind that need a vacuum cleaner to suck out the air. We purchased 5 large bags for under $8 at a large box store that rhymes with Tal-mart.  We use them for DH's t-shirts and items that do not use a cube. We also use them for dirty laundry. We simply sit on them to get all the air out. Don't judge!   Great space saver.

1 hour ago, Zeashore said:

We also use the list, finely tuned after a few cruises and the packing cubes. But we also use the vacuum bags for some items. Not the kind that need a vacuum cleaner to suck out the air. We purchased 5 large bags for under $8 at a large box store that rhymes with Tal-mart.  We use them for DH's t-shirts and items that do not use a cube. We also use them for dirty laundry. We simply sit on them to get all the air out. Don't judge!   Great space saver.

No judgement at all!  Vacuum bags with the one-way seam on the bottom are a great idea for laundry, especially wet laundry I'd imagine!

18 hours ago, Finally Retired said:

I agree - most things can be worn twice, but be careful about packing only one bag.  if it gets lost (airline) and you don't get it back before ship leaves, you're up the creek.  Take two and pack some things for each of you in each bag.  If one gets lost, you both still have something to wear:)  And, it will leave more room for souvenirs:).

Also, I start putting stuff in a "cruise" pile in a separate room as soon as I have picked shore excursions (they may require unusual attire, e.g., hiking boots). That way I can see if I need to order anything special to take (i.e. water resistant pants for our Alaska outings!) and have them in plenty of time instead of discovering the week before that I'm missing something.  I start packing the suitcases the week before, leaving.  Laying stuff out to see what can be mixed/matched helps pack less too:)

Yea after our practice run of packing we realized that we need 2 bags plus our carry on that we also pack an extra outfit in. 

We don't right now have the ability to set our stuff up in our guest room (friends are coming into town in the next few weeks) but with our practice run I have an extremely detailed and photographed list of everything that needs to be packed.