Packing and Planning

12 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Hello All,

How far out do you start planning out packing? I know I am super far behind logistically when it comes to excursions... thanks to some job issues (insert eye roll).... 

Am I crazy to start now around 90 days? 

Any one have a methodology for the order you plan in?

I have a standard list which I edit for particular trips.  I pack day clothes and night clothes assuming I wear pants and shirts twice.  A major factor is the number of nights of the cruise and any pre/post hotel stays.  It is easier to pack for 7 nights than 14, obviously.  In terms of extra stuff, I have generally given up lugging around heavy books to read as most ships have a library, but I do pack a light magazine or two or a foreign language paperback if appropriate.  Another decision is whether to pack snorkel gear (yes for Caribbean, no for Europe).

Anyway, you'll have fun, and 90 days out isn't too soon.  I try to edit my list as soon as I get back from my previous trip -- everything is fresh in my mind.  Enjoy your cruise.

2 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

I have a standard list which I edit for particular trips.  I pack day clothes and night clothes assuming I wear pants and shirts twice.  A major factor is the number of nights of the cruise and any pre/post hotel stays.  It is easier to pack for 7 nights than 14, obviously.  In terms of extra stuff, I have generally given up lugging around heavy books to read as most ships have a library, but I do pack a light magazine or two or a foreign language paperback if appropriate.  Another decision is whether to pack snorkel gear (yes for Caribbean, no for Europe).

Anyway, you'll have fun, and 90 days out isn't too soon.  I try to edit my list as soon as I get back from my previous trip -- everything is fresh in my mind.  Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks! This will be my longest trip ever. My BF and I are planning on trying to pack in one large suitcase instead of two small ones (idk if that will happen bc I want to bring back cheese from St. Maarten). 

I can rock out a 3-5 night trip but for some reason this 8night is just throwing me for a loop.

1 minute ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Thanks! This will be my longest trip ever. My BF and I are planning on trying to pack in one large suitcase instead of two small ones (idk if that will happen bc I want to bring back cheese from St. Maarten). 

I can rock out a 3-5 night trip but for some reason this 8night is just throwing me for a loop.

Understood. I'd take two suitcases and cross-pack some clothes in case one gets lost.  It has happened to us.....

Just now, ChessE4 said:

Understood. I'd take two suitcases and cross-pack some clothes in case one gets lost.  It has happened to us.....

Oh we will. I also will bring a small carry on with essentials (bathing suit, undies, one change of clothes). Thankfully direct flight since we are going Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale (don't ask its a long story)

The Packing List is an absolute must.  We have maintained one for over 10 years.  The best example of how it was used was when my son traveled to Europe on a vacation, and was told 5 hours before his flight that it had been moved up by 3 hours.  He had delayed packing.  We pulled out the list and had my son, daughter and soulmate gather all of the clothes; as I called out things to gather (from the List).  He packed for a 2 week European vacation in 10 minutes.  Then to the car, and drive to the airport to make his flight.

Always have an up to date Packing List.

Curt from Canada

Just now, Curt From Canada said:

The Packing List is an absolute must.  We have maintained one for over 10 years.  The best example of how it was used was when my son traveled to Europe on a vacation, and was told 5 hours before his flight that it had been moved up by 3 hours.  He had delayed packing.  We pulled out the list and had my son, daughter and soulmate gather all of the clothes; as I called out things to gather (from the List).  He packed for a 2 week European vacation in 10 minutes.  Then to the car, and drive to the airport to make his flight.

Always have an up to date Packing List.

Curt from Canada

That's really smart. I try to always have a packed toiletry bag to help minimize stress. 

I use to be a packing pro since I was traveling 40ish weeks a year but now that I don't its definitely my mindset.

I can pack it 2 days.  My husband takes a month.  I think about it for months so when it is time to pack I know exactly what I am taking and just have to pack it.  We do lay everything out on our dining room table and have it set by day.  I write the day on a note card and put clothes with that day.  There are some great packing lists for cruises on Pinterest that you might find helpful.

25 minutes ago, Vlgg said:

I can pack it 2 days.  My husband takes a month.  I think about it for months so when it is time to pack I know exactly what I am taking and just have to pack it.  We do lay everything out on our dining room table and have it set by day.  I write the day on a note card and put clothes with that day.  There are some great packing lists for cruises on Pinterest that you might find helpful.

Yea I think months about packing. It's tax free weekend this weekend in Florida so I'm trying to get my brain going on any other things I may need for my cruise other than my typical items (new flip flops and maybe a dress or 2)

12 hours ago, Vlgg said:

My wife starts planning specific outfits, etc. about three months out - creates a list of specific items one month out - and lays it all out for me to pack (checking against her list) one week out.

Two days before departure, I go grab everything I need and then pack for the two of us.

Guess who is more likely to forget something that's needed (hint - it's NOT me).

Night before I order a pizza, open a beer and just start tossing stuff in a suitcase. I'm done in about 7 minutes. I will however, double check shirts, shorts and pants maybe a week or two prior to ensure they fit and are in acceptable condition, if not I'll replace them. Also, about a week or two prior I'll go to Harmon and buy a bunch of toiletries.

about a month or maybe two out (so Real Soon Now) I'll try on my suit if I'm planning to bring it with me, and make sure my waistline hasn't expanded yet again. ? If it has, take suit to tailor for alterations and hope I can still get it altered instead of needing a new suit. ?

Other than that, I've also got a standard packing list that I'll go through the night before it's time to leave. I can be packed inside of 30 minutes doing it all myself.

Will say after having done an 8-night cruise myself last year, you may want to consider each of you using one large suitcase (25" checked size) and one carry-on. My wife and I needed that and we each came within a few pounds of the 50-pound limit on each of our checked bags. Granted, we had to pack for 10 days because of pre- and post-cruise hotel stays, and we have some odd / semi-bulky items to pack (my knee pillow and mandatory water shoes, for instance); both of which could throw off a "typical" packing strategy. But if you've never tried it before, give it a shot a couple days early and see how it works.

23 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Am I crazy to start now around 90 days? 

Totally not crazy! I'm on the same cruise as you except later, over Thanksgiving rather than Halloween, and I have already pretty much packed everything in my head! ?

A couple of weeks before the big day I usually draw up a table with a box for each day - where we'll be and what we'll be doing - and then jot down the outfits I plan on wearing in the relevant boxes. I find this to be especially helpful if I'm planning on mixing and matching because I can see it all at a glance. 

48 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

about a month or maybe two out (so Real Soon Now) I'll try on my suit if I'm planning to bring it with me, and make sure my waistline hasn't expanded yet again. ? If it has, take suit to tailor for alterations and hope I can still get it altered instead of needing a new suit. ?

Other than that, I've also got a standard packing list that I'll go through the night before it's time to leave. I can be packed inside of 30 minutes doing it all myself.

Will say after having done an 8-night cruise myself last year, you may want to consider each of you using one large suitcase (25" checked size) and one carry-on. My wife and I needed that and we each came within a few pounds of the 50-pound limit on each of our checked bags. Granted, we had to pack for 10 days because of pre- and post-cruise hotel stays, and we have some odd / semi-bulky items to pack (my knee pillow and mandatory water shoes, for instance); both of which could throw off a "typical" packing strategy. But if you've never tried it before, give it a shot a couple days early and see how it works.

Thanks Joe. Yea since I'm wanting to bring back cheese from St. Maarten I'm also hoping to calculate that into my total weight. My Bf's dress shoes take up quite a bit of space and weight (size 18) also so we may end up doing 2 just to balance it all out. Did you and your wife pack a little bit of each others clothes in each others checked bags?

1 minute ago, FionaMG said:

Totally not crazy! I'm on the same cruise as you except later, over Thanksgiving rather than Halloween, and I have already pretty much packed everything in my head! ?

A couple of weeks before the big day I usually draw up a table with a box for each day - where we'll be and what we'll be doing - and then jot down the outfits I plan on wearing in the relevant boxes. I find this to be especially helpful if I'm planning on mixing and matching because I can see it all at a glance. 

OMG so fun! 

I love the idea of the table, especially since I'm going to TRY to work out 4-5 days out of a 8 day cruise (i.e., Sea Days +San Juan) 

1 minute ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Did you and your wife pack a little bit of each others clothes in each others checked bags?

No, we never even considered the possibility that something like that might be a good idea. Glad that we got all of our bags without any problems! ?

And all of the cruises we've done or will be doing since then have been out of our home port, so we just drive there with our bags and hand them to the porters; I make sure to tip them well, and so far they haven't "lost" anything I've handed over / our bags were delivered to the room on the early side.

3 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

No, we never even considered the possibility that something like that might be a good idea. Glad that we got all of our bags without any problems! ?

And all of the cruises we've done or will be doing since then have been out of our home port, so we just drive there with our bags and hand them to the porters; I make sure to tip them well, and so far they haven't "lost" anything I've handed over / our bags were delivered to the room on the early side.

haha yea, This will be our first flight to a cruise even though its in the same state and we could've driven it. Someone suggested it to me which is a pretty good idea. I figured I'ld also pack an outfit each in our carry on...just in case...

16 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

OMG so fun! 

I love the idea of the table, especially since I'm going to TRY to work out 4-5 days out of a 8 day cruise (i.e., Sea Days +San Juan) 

I work out pretty much every day. The trick is to bring 2 sets of quick-dry kit because then you can just quickly rinse it out in the sink in the bathroom and alternate between the sets. They don't take long to dry out even if you don't have a balcony. And I don't bother bringing detergent either, I just use the multi-purpose gel that's in the shower! :29_smirk:

I also save space by doubling up my formal outfits. I bring two, one for each formal night but then wear each one again when we go to one of the specialty restaurants, so that's another thing to consider if you like dressing up and have specialty dining planned.

Just now, FionaMG said:

I work out pretty much every day. The trick is to bring 2 sets of quick-dry kit because then you can just quickly rinse it out in the sink in the bathroom and alternate between the sets. They don't take long to dry out even if you don't have a balcony. And I don't bother bringing detergent either, I just use the multi-purpose gel that's in the shower! :29_smirk:

I also save space by doubling up my formal outfits. I bring two, one for each formal night but then wear each one again when we go to one of the specialty restaurants, so that's another thing to consider if you like dressing up and have specialty dining planned.

Thanks! Yea we've never done speciality dining but I'm only planning on bringing 3 dresses total. One night we probably won't make our MDR time so its okay. I love the idea of washing the clothes out in the sink with the gel. I might just do that... 

Just now, Pippa_OceanTime said:

I LOVE packing, so I will start and not stop. I have a separate shelf dedicated to cruising!! Always looking???

hahah I guess I love it too, the unpacking part is the not so fun part. 

I don't have enough room to dedicate a specific shelf so I just move stuff to the front of the closet as we get closer to packing for real.

We too start packing/planning months in advance.  Several things that I do is (1) plan what we are going to wear each day/evening; (2) set up a table in the spare bedroom and layout the clothes; and (3) select our hanging clothes (suit/dresses) and hang them in another closet or separate them in the closet.  Make a list and pack things like tylenol, sea sickness med, first aid supplies, sunscreen and other personal care items.  I try to use travel size items, or those that we can't purchase in travel size I put them in smaller bottles.  Don't forget to leave room in the suitcase for souvenirs.

Usually a month out the wife starts planning as for me a few days prior.  This year will be hectic. We are listing our house in mid August and going on a cruise Sept. 12.  No more suit packing just a blazer and that works great for me.  Heck the day I got married I packed for the honeymoon and forgot nothing and still that way to this day.  That was only 43 years ago.  HA HA.  No pressure.  Also leave room in your luggage and split items up. Room for purchases.   Luggage loss does happen unfortunately.  

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

This may sound crazy but neither my BF or I have traveled this long for pleasure (I was in Nassau for 9 days for work but that's a different story), so we did a practice pack...

Yes you read that right, we did a practice run of packing and BOY am I glad we did. We realized we didn't have enough packing cubes, we needed USB hub for travel and we needed toiletry bags for the both of us, as well as SeaBands and a few other items that we purchased through Amazon today. We also realized that we are going to have to take a suitcase for each of us, yes we pack a bit but at the same time we are bringing his suit, including jacket, which takes up room and he wears size 18 shoe.... which takes up a lot of room. 

Now, I know it sounds crazy that we did this, but with our insane schedules coming up, we have 3 concerts, 1 other trip and both of us will be starting new FT jobs (mine during peak season of my job) it just made sense, I now have a spreadsheet of everything we are bringing along with having them all photographed and itemized in a spreadsheet. My little Type-A personality is very happy. 

Ironically this was the BFs idea... anyone else do something like this?

5 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Update:

This may sound crazy but neither my BF or I have traveled this long for pleasure (I was in Nassau for 9 days for work but that's a different story), so we did a practice pack...

Yes you read that right, we did a practice run of packing and BOY am I glad we did. We realized we didn't have enough packing cubes, we needed USB hub for travel and we needed toiletry bags for the both of us, as well as SeaBands and a few other items that we purchased through Amazon today. We also realized that we are going to have to take a suitcase for each of us, yes we pack a bit but at the same time we are bringing his suit, including jacket, which takes up room and he wears size 18 shoe.... which takes up a lot of room. 

Now, I know it sounds crazy that we did this, but with our insane schedules coming up, we have 3 concerts, 1 other trip and both of us will be starting new FT jobs (mine during peak season of my job) it just made sense, I now have a spreadsheet of everything we are bringing along with having them all photographed and itemized in a spreadsheet. My little Type-A personality is very happy. 

Ironically this was the BFs idea... anyone else do something like this?

I don’t think this is as crazy as it sounds on the surface, and even if it is I think you will likely find yourself in good company here! I’ve been debating on doing this before my Thanksgiving cruise as I’m not sure if I have enough packing cubes and how much they will fit. 

55 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

I don’t think this is as crazy as it sounds on the surface, and even if it is I think you will likely find yourself in good company here! I’ve been debating on doing this before my Thanksgiving cruise as I’m not sure if I have enough packing cubes and how much they will fit. 

I can honestly say it was the best decision I can tell already... plus it ensures i have time to get my stuff in time. 

15 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

anyone else do something like this?

I used to..but I've been fortunate enough to have the full-on cruise experience enough that now I have a very good idea of what I will need for a cruise and I've become a minimalist packer.  I was told before my first cruise to do a packing run-through and then take out half of what I packed and replace it with money ? 

If I make lists now, it's more to even further minimize what I pack.  I will list out outfits and figure out what pieces I can mix and match to get the most use out of every item that I bring with me.  

And you best use the insides of those size 18 shoes to your advantage..stuff them full of socks and underwear!  Don't let that empty space go to waste!

6 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I used to..but I've been fortunate enough to have the full-on cruise experience enough that now I have a very good idea of what I will need for a cruise and I've become a minimalist packer.  I was told before my first cruise to do a packing run-through and then take out half of what I packed and replace it with money ? 

If I make lists now, it's more to even further minimize what I pack.  I will list out outfits and figure out what pieces I can mix and match to get the most use out of every item that I bring with me.  

And you best use the insides of those size 18 shoes to your advantage..stuff them full of socks and underwear!  Don't let that empty space go to waste!

Oh we do... that's where his belts and dress socks go! haha 

I'm leaving this Sunday and I started packing yesterday!

Of course I figured out ahead what I was missing in my wardrobe, and I also took advantage of the Florida tax-free week-end. I must admit I've ordered a few things from Amazon this week: towel clips, a good insulated mug… But that's because this is my first RCCL cruise and I relied on tips from people on this forum.

I also bought in June a white dress intented for the white night on HOTS, before realizing there would be none… It is still a pretty dress though, I'll wear it nevertheless.

7 hours ago, FroggyFlo said:

I must admit I've ordered a few things from Amazon this week: towel clips, a good insulated mug… But that's because this is my first RCCL cruise and I relied on tips from people on this forum.

I have also made a purchase from Amazon within the last 24 hours for things I "needed" after reading message boards! Probably both unnecessary but I ordered a hanging toiletry bag and packing cubes (no way are those a necessity but I had to!).

8 hours ago, FroggyFlo said:

I'm leaving this Sunday and I started packing yesterday!

Of course I figured out ahead what I was missing in my wardrobe, and I also took advantage of the Florida tax-free week-end. I must admit I've ordered a few things from Amazon this week: towel clips, a good insulated mug… But that's because this is my first RCCL cruise and I relied on tips from people on this forum.

I also bought in June a white dress intented for the white night on HOTS, before realizing there would be none… It is still a pretty dress though, I'll wear it nevertheless.

A white dress is never out of place on a cruise! 

We are going on November. We started to put a couple of bins in the bedroom to toss in items we only take on cruises vs standard travel, as well as items we have started to order. Buying new clothes for cruise is a great excuse to shop.  Ditto on the packing list, essential.

On 7/29/2019 at 5:59 PM, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

I am on a trip now and about to get dressed for my day and so so so glad I still pack the way I do which is:

I lay out each entire outfit (to include jewelry and hair scruchies or barrettes) and then I pack each entire outfit in a packing cube. I lay a sticky note on the top with what day/event that outfit is for so it shows through the mesh. I do keep a separate small bag/zip container for the hair accessories/jewelry and I pack shoes in their own individual shoes bags but the main outfit all goes in one cube together with the sticky note. Once it's all laid out and I am ready to load the suitcase, as I bag each outfit, I collect the jewelry and hair stuff in their own bags to the side.

I got back to my room at 0100 after being up since 0600 (I was bartending an after party so out extremely late) and it was SO NICE to stumble to my suitcase, look through and pull the bag labeled "Saturday #2 Training/Lead" and set it out so now, all I have to do is pop that baby open and put it on and I am off to tackle this day.

When I get back tonight, what I am wearing goes right back in that bag and I put it back in the suitcase facing down so I know what I have already worn and what's left for tomorrow and Monday are facing up.

When I have a trip, I tend to start laying everything out a few weeks in advance so I can take my time and not feel rushed. I use the guest room bed and I have sticky notes with the day and any events on that day so I can know what is going on. Depending on the trip, I'll also research the temperature or weather for it a week or so out and make any tweaks or adjustments. If I want to take a clothing item I wear often (like my "On Wednesdays We Wear Pink" wife beater gym shirt, I'll write a sticky note for that particular item so once I do the last laundry load prior to the trip, I can remember to grab it and place it in the line up.

On 8/9/2019 at 4:56 PM, PRebecca said:

I have also made a purchase from Amazon within the last 24 hours for things I "needed" after reading message boards! Probably both unnecessary but I ordered a hanging toiletry bag and packing cubes (no way are those a necessity but I had to!).

Packing cubes have changed my and my BFs packing style.... makes SO much easier when we can a). differentiate our stuff b). combine our stuff i.e., bathing suits, workout clothes, etc.