Dining Questions

Biff215

Hi All-

We're on Harmony next week but we only booked about a month ago.  My Time Dining was all that was available and we couldn't even waitlist for something else.  The earliest time I was able to reserve was 8:15.  We have an 11 and 6 year old so we'd prefer something earlier so they can still go to the evening Adventure Ocean session.  In the past we've done Family Time Dining so they could leave early directly from dinner.

First questions: I know we can request a different dining time once on board.  Should be go to Guest Relations or the MDR?  What do you think our chances are of getting it honored?  (we're arriving at the port around noon).

If that doesn't work out, can we still try to dine earlier with My Time Dining?  Is that typically a long wait and will you have different servers each night?

This situation is new to us so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian

Edit: Sorry, I just realized there was a Dining sub-forum, please move if needed.

5 minutes ago, Biff215 said:

Hi All-

We're on Harmony next week but we only booked about a month ago.  My Time Dining was all that was available and we couldn't even waitlist for something else.  The earliest time I was able to reserve was 8:15.  We have an 11 and 6 year old so we'd prefer something earlier so they can still go to the evening Adventure Ocean session.  In the past we've done Family Time Dining so they could leave early directly from dinner.

First questions: I know we can request a different dining time once on board.  Should be go to Guest Relations or the MDR?  What do you think our chances are of getting it honored?  (we're arriving at the port around noon).

If that doesn't work out, can we still try to dine earlier with My Time Dining?  Is that typically a long wait and will you have different servers each night?

This situation is new to us so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian

You can try being a "walk in", which would probably mean going early (5-530ish).  The wait shoudn't be too bad, but one can never predict the future. Or you could take the kids to another venue for their early dinner, then circle back for your dinner at the scheduled time (until you can change it) while the kids have a 2nd dessert?

When we had My Time Dining, they encouraged us to keep our table from Night 1 and pick a regular time so we could have the same wait staff.  That usually worked out although we selected a table with other guests, who didn't always show up.

I'd speak to the head waiter on duty at MDR on day one.  

I'd also continue checking the Cruise Planner for new times that may pop up.

2 hours ago, Biff215 said:

Yes you can. There's two lines. One for people with a reservation and one for those without a reservation. If you arrive before 6:30pm, you should find less of a wait than "prime time" of 6:30 - 8pm

There is also an option for the kids to eat with Adventure Ocean some nights so that might work out for you.  My DD3 didn't do it on her first cruise but the last cruise she chose to eat with them twice.  Another option is to feed kids at buffet and then take them to AO while you and your spouse enjoy a couples dinner.

Thanks everyone. Our kids really enjoy the food and servers on a cruise, so the Windjammer or Adventure Ocean probably won’t fly. We’ll head straight for the MDR when we board and plead our case. If that doesn’t work, we’ll just show up early for My Time.

I believe I read the first seating is 5:00 on Harmony, can anyone confirm? I don’t remember it ever being that early on other ships so it’s throwing me off a little. If that’s true, I’m not sure how Family Time would work if the club doesn’t open until 7. 

From the few Cruise Compasses that I glanced at for Harmony at https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass?ship=1071 it appears that the set dining times are 5:00 and 7:45 with the MTD open from 6:30 to 9:00.  But it also shows the American Icon (which is used for MTD) has main seating dining starting at 5:00pm as well.   

I would think that they pick up the Family Time Dining kids a little before Adventure Ocean opens to get them settled before the drop-offs happen.  MDR meals have always been on the slower side for me and take a good two hours.

On 7/30/2019 at 11:30 PM, Brandi F said:

Has anyone been able to drop their kids off for AO by the MDR when they had My Time Dining? What time does AO staff get the kids? Are they still able to sign the kids up to go to AO from the MDR, even if they still had My Time Dining?

I'd be interested to know the same thing.  In the past, we were told that AO staff would pick up the kids approximately 45 minutes into the meal.  I assume this is why it would make it difficult to do with MTD unless you time it just right.

On my past two cruises on Independence, it didn't seem to matter to the AO staff whether or not you had Family Time Dining.  You just wrote your kids' names and info down on the clipboard.  Technically anyone could have dropped their kids there, even if they weren't currently eating (it was outside the MDR doors on the bottom floor).