gift for steward?

I am just letting youtube videos about cruises run in the background... it's what i do now instead of tv shows , at least part of the time..... lol   This one lady, in her tips video, said that her family always makes up a gift bag gift to leave for their room steward on the first night....   does anyone else do this.... is it common...?  

18 minutes ago, kittysoul said:

I am just letting youtube videos about cruises run in the background... it's what i do now instead of tv shows , at least part of the time..... lol   This one lady, in her tips video, said that her family always makes up a gift bag gift to leave for their room steward on the first night....   does anyone else do this.... is it common...?  

Not heard of that, but my guess is that cruise staff would appreciate cash tips much more than a gift bag.

There are passengers, mostly first timers, that think they want to give their stewards something as an extra.  There is a running joke for years about someone's giving his steward a key chain with a John Deere tractor on it and thinking the steward was really happy with it.  I have to say the crew is very polite, and will act like they love whatever is given to them. 

Their quarters are very small, so where would they put all the things given to them?  If your boss gave you magnet from your/his home town instead of a bonus, would you be happy?  Common sense is not always common.

Having said that, we give extra cash to whomever we feel deserves it.  I did give our extra cash to our steward on one cruise and wrapped it in KitKat bars.  I thought he could eat them, share them, or throw them away and it would't matter to me.  He said he loved them and I thought, yeah, and I knew that's what he would say as he was a very kind person.   Later that night, I saw the empty wrappers on his cart, so maybe he really did like them, lol?

I believe most of the crew have their paychecks sent home to feed, care for their families.  I also believe that the cash they receive allows them to buy some things they may want/need.  It's not up to me to decide what they need, so, for us, cash is king.

Agree with the comments of cash is king. Personally if wanting to give a gift I'd go for prepackaged and unopened edibles. Way I view it is I'm sure they could swap candy and such with crew members in return for something else. This is always in addition to some cash.

Another example is sailing over Halloween I'll bring a "wholesale club" size bag of fun size candy/chocolate and put it out in a dish in the room. Then when meeting the stateroom attendant I'll tell them to help themselves. Most of the time the contents of the bowl dwindles down or favorites go missing. Of course when restocked it happens again. I've also done reverse trick or treat and went down the hall offering the attendants some goodies.