Key lunch on Harmony

micahd

In a group of two couples sailing on Harmony sept 1 with the key.

i’ve seen some recent videos/reviews mention the embarkation day lunch is the Chop menu served in the MDR.

Any idea if that will be the case going forward? For us that’s a bit disappointing as this will be our friends first cruise and we had hoped to experience the great dining room right off Central Park.

As far as I have seen that is the ongoing policy because there are too many people purchasing the key to fit into Chops.  It is not a large restaurant and there seems to be no way to seat everyone.  The lines for it before moving the lunch to the dining room were long and too many posted comments about how they felt they weren't getting what they paid for.

Another reason, and I have not seen this posted anywhere, there are people who have UDP and wanted to have embarkation day lunch in Chops and weren't able to do so as well as others paying for a lunch in Chops on embarkation.

This now appears to accommodate everyone, albeit not those with the key having the meal IN Chops but they are giving Chops food for those in the dining room which is not open to anyone else.

23 hours ago, micahd said:

embarkation day lunch is the Chops

We did the Anthem on July 13th and had the Key. If my memory is correct, Lunch was in Chops for Key holders from 11:30 to 1:30. We went by there at 11:30 and it was a mob scene with Key holders and folks who had a lunch reservation. We decided to come back later, exercised our drink packages and walked around the ship (it was our first time on the Anthem). Went back to Chops a little after 1:00 pm and walked right in, no problem. My wife had the filet and I had the hamburger that was absolutely killer. Be sure to get to the port as early as you can so you can board early. Hope this all works out for you and enjoy your cruise! :27_sunglasses:

On 7/27/2019 at 6:34 PM, Katiel53 said:

As far as I have seen that is the ongoing policy because there are too many people purchasing the key to fit into Chops.  It is not a large restaurant and there seems to be no way to seat everyone.  The lines for it before moving the lunch to the dining room were long and too many posted comments about how they felt they weren't getting what they paid for.

I have the Key for a group of six on Harmony in October.  It's my understanding that we have the option of Chops or Jaime's Italian.  I would prefer Chops but was looking forward to eating in the actual restaurant, as was stated in the add for the Key.  It was one of the big selling points for me and I'm not happy with this change.

My question is does this "policy" of using the MDR also include Jaime's or is that restaurant available for Key guests for embarkation lunch?

18 hours ago, rjac said:

We did the Anthem on July 13th and had the Key. If my memory is correct, Lunch was in Chops for Key holders from 11:30 to 1:30. We went by there at 11:30 and it was a mob scene with Key holders and folks who had a lunch reservation. We decided to come back later, exercised our drink packages and walked around the ship (it was our first time on the Anthem). Went back to Chops a little after 1:00 pm and walked right in, no problem. My wife had the filet and I had the hamburger that was absolutely killer. Be sure to get to the port as early as you can so you can board early. Hope this all works out for you and enjoy your cruise! :27_sunglasses:

I believe this being done on the Oasis class ships. I believe UDP plays a part as some ships allow using this package on the first day and they can have access to Chops.

I sailed on Allure earlier this month, we had the Key and our Chops lunch was served in MDR. Yes, I was initially slightly disappointed to not get experience in the restaurant, but honestly, it turned out great. I had read on here about long lines and rushed service, and ours turned out to be a lovely experience. It was the same food which was excellent, our server was terrific, we had no wait and it was a relaxed experience. I get what your feeling but I wouldn't be so bummed and would try to focus on the positives. :) It's still an awesome way to kick off your cruise! 

We were on Harmony at the end of May and our Key lunch was in the MDR. That said the luggage drop off for the Key was right outside the dining room, so it was super convenient to drop everything off and go eat in a very cool (temp) dining room. We got lucky as one group of officers were having a goodbye/welcome party for two gentlemen in the back part of the MDR. As each officer passed by our table, they greeted us with a "hello" "good afternoon" or "welcome aboard." It was like having our very own welcoming committee - lol. Also, get the cheesecake! It was the best I have ever had. I only wish I had more room to finish it! ?

My concern about the Key benefits being moved to the MDR is two fold....the 2 top tables are generally very close together and are not enjoyable to eat at.  Also we have yet to get a meal that is hot in the MDR.  I do not know if this is how the food is prepared for the MDR or the time it takes to get the dishes there.  Regardless....even if the food is Chops food.....is the experience MDR?