Yucatan Seaweed Article

kadmgs

This is an interesting article explaining why we are seeing so much seaweed in Mexico. When we were in Costa Maya a few weeks ago, the seaweed at the port was terrible. I grew going to the beach in Texas on the mainland across from Galveston, so I’m very familiar with it and its smell, but it was awful in Costa Maya. We watched it float in the water the entire time we were at sea around the Yucatan. If you’re headed down there soon, just be prepared. This also explains why we didn’t see it in December when we were there. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/massive-waves-of-toxic-seaweed-sargassum-inundate-yucatan-shorelines/?ftag=CNM-00-10aac3a#

My husband flies year-round down to the Caribbean on a fairly regular basis. He’s stated it’s been an issue for a couple of years now, with no mention of any months being any better/worse than others. 

I just did a western Caribbean a few weeks ago and it was *bearable* in Costa Maya... Maya Chan is doing their best to clean up and the off-beach pool is a wonderful addition. Cozumel was wonderfully clear/clean so it truly does make a difference when the beaches are east-facing.