Doing Work on the Ship

When I sail in April of 2020, I am allegedly supposed to be on vacation.

However, we all know vacation is kind of a loose term depending on what kind of work one does.

A better way to say it is "don't bother me unless there is an emergency".

My dear friend Murphy always sees to it that if I do attempt "vacation" then something happens. (Last time, the roof of one of our buildings caught on fire).

Net net: I do not intend to work on the ship. HOWEVER, I need to be able to JUST IN CASE:

1. They need me to draft a section for a proposal.

2. They need me to approve something.

3. They need me to manage a situation.

4. They need me to make a decision or review something.

5. They need me to be aware of a situation in case I need to do one of the above.

That being said, I will be bringing a travel laptop with me (but only pulling it out IF I have to do something related to work). I will have internet access. I will have my cell phone on plan to avoid ridiculous charges should I suddenly have to jump on a conference call or advise someone of something.

Questions:

1. How is wifi access in the rooms? The more I read and see the cabins described as a metal box (yay magnets but boo....Faraday cage?) accounting for the already knowable potential slow connection speeds, IF all is right with the world, is wifi access in the cabins generally okay or is it better in a public area like the Library or Solarium?

2. If it's better in a public area, is there the ability to plug into an outlet there (like if I go to Starbucks and there are outlets everywhere to charge)? I've seen photos that show folks with business laptops and I have heard of folks working on board so was wondering about the logistics of wifi reception in a metal room & availability of power in public areas should I have to do some work.

3. Is there a notary if I have to sign something and need it notarized?

Anyone work remote on ships that can throw me some tips or hacks?

For the most part Wifi is fine.   Some rooms do have better reception than others but we've always had decent wifi in our stateroom.  The key is to make sure you get Stream Voom and not just Surf.  My husband almost always has to do some work to do on vacation.  We've had a few cruises where we did have emergencies come up and no problem with Wifi.  Suggest you make sure you allow your phone to make wifi calls.  If you are only getting a 1 device package, look into @twangster travel router tips so you could use your cell phone and laptop at the same time.

Finding an outlet in a public area of the ship might be hard. When you do find one more than likely it will be a "type F". Thus you'll either need an adapter or a compatible cord for the charger. Also the voltage will be 220 or 240, so verify the charger is compatible.

This is what a type F outlet looks like

electricity-type-F-socket-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.c521c23fc2d6e1256f7d9b211e49e97c.jpg

Depending on device if it has a ground pin (3 pins) or not this would be the plug side.

electricity-type-EF-plug-2-624x1024.jpg

electricity-type-C-plug-2-1024x408.jpg

We have had mixed results with Wfi on Grandeur. Last year on our Christmas/NY cruise it was really spotty.  Inside the suite it dropped often. I would have to open the door, connect and then return to my seat. After a while it would drop again and I would have to go to the hall again,  very frustrating. 

3 hours ago, melski94 said:

For the most part Wifi is fine.   Some rooms do have better reception than others but we've always had decent wifi in our stateroom.  The key is to make sure you get Stream Voom and not just Surf.  My husband almost always has to do some work to do on vacation.  We've had a few cruises where we did have emergencies come up and no problem with Wifi.  Suggest you make sure you allow your phone to make wifi calls.  If you are only getting a 1 device package, look into @twangster travel router tips so you could use your cell phone and laptop at the same time.

Thank you! This makes me feel better. I already use a travel router so am pretty set there.

1 hour ago, CGTLH said:

Finding an outlet in a public area of the ship might be hard. When you do find one more than likely it will be a "type F". Thus you'll either need an adapter or a compatible cord for the charger. Also the voltage will be 220 or 240, so verify the charger is compatible.

This is what a type F outlet looks like

electricity-type-F-socket-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.c521c23fc2d6e1256f7d9b211e49e97c.jpg

Depending on device if it has a ground pin (3 pins) or not this would be the plug side.

electricity-type-EF-plug-2-624x1024.jpg

electricity-type-C-plug-2-1024x408.jpg

Hmmm. Good to know. I'll add to pack my travel adapters to my "to do" list so I can be flexible! Thank you!

19 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We have had mixed results with Wfi on Grandeur. Last year on our Christmas/NY cruise it was really spotty.  Inside the suite it dropped often. I would have to open the door, connect and then return to my seat. After a while it would drop again and I would have to go to the hall again,  very frustrating. 

Grandeur will be my ship so glad to hear ship specific details. Thank you. I'll brief my team that it could be spotty depending. I anticipate weather will play a role in that as well. And I am still of the mind that a giant floating Faraday cage is not going to be an optimal environment unless you have a lot of repeaters stationed strategically.