Lobster

scatsull

3 hours ago, Fuzzywuzzy said:

I usually make this my own surf n' turf as there is usually a beef specialty on the menu too on lobster night.?

13 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

Lobster was on the MDR menu on the last night of my 5-night Majesty cruise earlier this month. Like a PP stated, I combined with the (no-upcharge) steak for my own “free” surf and turf. ?

^^^^Yup---what they said

Lobster is often elusive on cruises less than 7 nights (sometimes you will see it, sometimes you will not) but on Caribbean itins I am still seeing it on 7 nights or greater cruises.  They rarely offer it on European itins.  Not sure about Pacific itins (since I've never been on one !).

I have noticed that the first 2 casualties of the MDR are lobster and lamb shank. Those must be the 2 most expensive entrees.  They seem to be the first to disappear if anything is going to be sacrificed.

4 minutes ago, RatedPG said:

Just a second entree?  My... this is embarrassing ... my record for lobster tails is 6-7 ... (on lobster nights, that is)

On another post about this, somebody said on their cruise, somebody had 12 one night!

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have noticed that the first 2 casualties of the MDR are lobster and lamb shank. Those must be the 2 most expensive entrees.  They seem to be the first to disappear if anything is going to be sacrificed.

Maybe RCCL was feeling bad for canceling Cuba, but we bad both lobster and the lamb shank on our 5-night. The lamb was soooo good, definitely *the* best meal we had.... and our table of 6 women, all of us only knowing our travel partners when we started the cruise, ate very very well that week. LOL

1 hour ago, RatedPG said:

How formal is formal on Alaskan cruises? I’m sailing on August 30 on Ovation.

It really varied from casual wear to evening dresses and tuxes.  Basically do what you're comfortable with.  We like getting dressed up because we have to wear uniforms at work and never get the chance to look good, lol.

14 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

It really varied from casual wear to evening dresses and tuxes.  Basically do what you're comfortable with.  We like getting dressed up because we have to wear uniforms at work and never get the chance to look good, lol.

Thanks for the reply.  

This is my first Alaskan cruise.  How is the temperature in the enclosed areas of the ship?  How about the open areas/upper decks?  

If I go on the excursions, mostly sightseeing ones, will I need a "parka"?

On 7/26/2019 at 8:07 PM, Snowchaser said:

It wasn't' offered on the Independence of the Seas on our 7 day this past may, only for an up-charge.  First time I haven't seen it offered on a formal night.

On 7/26/2019 at 8:52 PM, deep1 said:

Havn't seen it offered on 5 or 7 night cruises in a couple years now... ?

Lobster has been available on every cruise I have been on (have not been on anything shorter than 7 days), always on the 2nd formal night.

We even took a que from @WAAAYTOOO, we were eating in a specialty dinning on the second formal night and asked them to bring my wife a lobster from the main dinning room and they did. 

10 minutes ago, RatedPG said:

How is the temperature in the enclosed areas of the ship?  How about the open areas/upper decks?  

The temperature on the ship inside is comfortable.  It will be a bit chilly on upper decks with the wind and lower air temperatures.  But in my opinion you aren't going to need something as warm as a parka.  The key to Alaska is layers.  A sweatshirt or fleece as the outer layer should be more than sufficient to keep you warm.  And then you can layer long/short sleeves under that.  Also invest in a waterproof shell for the top layer in case of rain.

45 minutes ago, RatedPG said:

Thanks for the reply.  

This is my first Alaskan cruise.  How is the temperature in the enclosed areas of the ship?  How about the open areas/upper decks?  

The temperature inside the ship was always nice - I brought a cover up for my sleeveless dresses but never used them.  We had probably unusually warm weather during our cruise.  The only time I ever put my windbreaker on over a t-shirt was on our whale-watching tour in Juneau when the boat was clipping along at a really good pace (and I could have gone inside, out of the wind, but I wanted to be OUT).  Walking around Juneau and Skagway it was t-shirt/shorts weather.  On the morning at Dawe's Glacier I did put a sweatshirt on to stand out on the deck and photograph the amazing scenery (for me the biggest draw were the seals sunning themselves on the little icebergs - some were so close the ship. Oh, how I love "sea dogs"!).

Disclaimer: I live in Minnesota.  My tolerance for temperatures that dip below 50 is pretty high.  My tolerance for temps over 75 is pretty low.  So what's "parka" weather for me may not be what's "parka" weather for those who hail from warmer climates.  ?

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Disclaimer: I live in Minnesota.  My tolerance for temperatures that dip below 50 is pretty high.  My tolerance for temps over 75 is pretty low.  So what's "parka" weather for me may not be what's "parka" weather for those who hail from warmer climates.  ?

I should have stated early on that I live in Florida and that I was originally from tropical Philippines.  I will “calibrate” your suggestions accordingly.  ?

On 7/26/2019 at 11:12 PM, BunnyHutt said:

Lobster was on the MDR menu on the last night of my 5-night Majesty cruise earlier this month. Like a PP stated, I combined with the (no-upcharge) steak for my own “free” surf and turf. ?

Must be nice... Only available as upcharge on last three sailings for us...  Majesty or Indy?