Enchantment of the Sea Can you feel the ship rocking? First Timer Here

tredin18

We sailed Enchantment last year March and could feel the boat rocking on the trip back to Port Canaveral. It was there first time I have gotten sick. The captain was hauling and seas were a little rough.  We were back of ship deck three.  Other than that, it was fine. Next time I will try the patch behind the ear.  Good Luck and don't miss eating at Chops!

I was on Enchantment in October this past year - we stayed Deck 2 midship, and felt no rocking. However, the seas were pretty much like glass for the entire weekend and we never felt a thing. I kept an eye on the forecast (here) leading up to the trip to get a better idea. This was mostly to try and get a better idea for whether or not we'd make it to Coco Cay.. the lower the wave height, the better. I think we had a 2 to 3 ft wave height forecast for the weekend.

I hope that helps! Never hurts to take extra precaution anyway, as others have suggested!

I think it really has more to do with the seas, than the size of ship.....I have been on smaller boats that felt smoother than larger boats.....but its because of the weather.

I can tell you that I have been on Enchantment 4x and never had an issue with it rocking. There have been a couple times when you could notice it, but nothing that caused any issues.

From my experience, wind makes for a rougher cruise than does the sea state as the stabilizers can help with rough seas but don't offer much when the winds are high.

My wife is prone to motion sickness and has always been okay with a low, midship cabin. This is the most stable location on a ship and provides a sanctuary should the motion be too intense elsewhere on the ship. To date, this has always worked.

If you're truly concerned, you can try Dramamine, get a prescription for the transdermal patch, or try the Seabands.

Did Enchantment in August 2015.  Very smooth ride.  I was on Grandeur (similar in size) 2 times in the past and the ride was great.  My wife gets motion sickness and uses the bands.  They work great.  If nausea does develop you simply press a little harder on the pressure points and a short time and the nausea dissipates.  I have heard a lot of good things about the ear patch.  Might want to forgo a dining seat beside the window.  The visual of the horizon going up and down does bother my wife but the feeling of movement is minimal.  Have a great cruise!

I get motion sick somewhat so I just take a "Bonnie" brand of motion sickness medicine at bedtime.  Only take it once a day and it lasts 24 hours.  It makes me a little sleepy so taking it at bedtime is not an issue.  I usually take one the night before I cruise so that I have it in my system.  Using this method, I have never gotten motion sick and was able to enjoy every minute of my cruising vacations.

As the other posters have mentioned the "nine" products work well (Bonine, Dramamine). I was able to find a low dose Bonine at a military commisary in their house brand so i'd imagine it would be easy to find in a walmart or local pharmacy. We were on the Serenade in the Greek Isles last October and hit some really rough waters and high winds (gusts upward of 70mph). We had to skip Mykonos and headed straight for Turkey because it was too rough.. There were quite a few people feeling not so great that day and a huge sigh of relief when we docked in Turkey that night. Wife and I each took a half of a low dose Bonine and headed straight for the Champagne Art Auction and all we well in the world again... I have a video of the self leveling pool tables during that storm that are pretty impressive.. If I can figure out how to post them I will do so..

Being a lifelong, third generation mariner, here's the best way to decipher reported sea conditions.  A forecast of 10 foot seas in open waters means a mariner should expect to encounter a wave spectrum with many waves heights (low dip to crown) between 5 and 10 feet along with a small percentage of waves up to 15 feet and possibly even as high as 20 feet.  However, the rule of thumb for safety reasons is to normally expect the worse in lieu of the average.

In 15 foot seas you should expect an occasional 30 foot wave but with most of them being somewhere between 15 and 30 feet.  So, long story short, when you hear a nautical weather report saying a certain number for the "seas" height, the wave height in a worse case scenario would be to double that number to cover the occasional 30 footer.

On NCL they gave seasick meds out for free at Guest Services. I called down, they asked some questions, and went and retrieved it.  I also heard you can ask your cabin steward and they will leave it in the room.  They ask questions about allergies, pregnancy, etc.

On RCCL, I do not know if they give it out for free, but I can't imagine why they would be different.

I do not use them, so I can't speak to their effectiveness. 

• 2 weeks later...