RCIfan1912

Have to drive to Cape Liberty?

1 hour ago, Cez said:

@BrianB @KJ1231 @rjac have you notice electrical outlets or EV chargers in the garage ?

I'll be cruising in winter for 11 days and ideally would like to leave my EV plug-in, so I don't loose too much autonomy in case of the super cold snap  

@Cez you might want to check out the Plugshare app or website. 

If you do not mind parking away from the port, but close by, there are a few options around Newark Airport.  At one of the Hilton's by the airport, they have a few electrical outlets in their garage, and you can usually find online coupons for parking way under $10 per day.  And just take a 15-20 minute Uber to the port.  I have parked there for airport trip, and the place seems safe (but did not try and charge).

Another possible option, if you want to park at the port, and are not in a huge rush after your cruise (and your car won't totally drain the battery during your cruise) is to go to the Liberty Science Center museum after your cruise.  This is a great stop if you have kids, to visit.  They have a bunch (maybe 12) free L2 J-1772's, but do have to pay for parking when there.  This is a great place for kids.

If you drive a Tesla, there are a couple of Superchargers close to Cape Liberty.  There are two in Jersey City (one at a mall) about 9 miles north from the port.  As well as another Supercharger in Kearny, about 12 miles NW.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:15 PM, KJ1231 said:

We were on the same cruise as @rjac . There were 8 of us and lots of bags. When disembarking we grabbed a porter and bypassed everyone in customs. There was one person in line in front of us. If you disembark early it my not be a big deal. If later, I know it saved us at least 30 minutes and well worth the extra $$ I tipped the porter. He'll watch your bags while you bring the car down, too! It was less than 30 minutes from the time we swiped our sea pass card to get off the ship til we were in the car and ready to go!

You carried your bags out when you disembarked? And the porter was before you got to customs?

On 8/2/2019 at 4:18 PM, SuZQ329 said:

You carried your bags out when you disembarked? And the porter was before you got to customs?

No - we left our bags out the night before. As soon as we got to the baggage area we grabbed a porter. He loaded about 12 bags for the 8 of us and whisked us off to customs where the wait was less than 5 minutes. He then took the bags to the lower lever of the parking garage. We brought the 2 cars down and the porter them up and we were on our way. Well worth the $60 ($40 from me; $20 from my son-in-law) considering the long line to get through customs.

1 minute ago, Cez said:

@KJ1231 you've tip a porter $60 ? I think I'm going to hit the gym !

There were 8 of us - lots of bags - and he was awesome - loaded all bags on 1 cart that got split between 2 cars. May have been slightly excessive but when we bypassed 100's in line at customs I felt a little generous. Large group, lots of bags and in the car and out of there in record time!

Hey guys bringing my old thread back up cause I have a new question. I notice that there is overflow parking outside in front of the terminal when the garage is full. Do you know if you can elect to park there even if you are early enough to get into the parking garage? Just curious about that. We have decided to get to Cape Liberty really early, shooting for 10 AM on the money. Leaving the house at about 9:20 should get us there at just about 10 AM.

We have sailed out of Bayonne twice now and are very pleased with the whole operation, including parking. It's a little over an hour and a half drive from home and I booked another cruise the day after we got back on the 10th. They'll be seeing us alot there.