Have to drive to Cape Liberty?

We always get dropped off at Cape Liberty for our Royal Caribbean cruises but because of circumstances we have to drive and park in the parking garage this time. I mean we are only 30 minutes from the cruise port so it's not a huge deal but any advice as to how the procedure works once we get to the port? Drop bags first and then go to park at the garage? You pay before or after the cruise is over? Is there an employee there or it's completely automated? Do you have to go down an elevator one you park or can you walk? Sorry for the million questions. Appreciate any advice or insight. 

2 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

We always get dropped off at Cape Liberty for our Royal Caribbean cruises but because of circumstances we have to drive and park in the parking garage this time. I mean we are only 30 minutes from the cruise port so it's not a huge deal but any advice as to how the procedure works once we get to the port? Drop bags first and then go to park at the garage? You pay before or after the cruise is over? Is there an employee there or it's completely automated? Do you have to go down an elevator one you park or can you walk? Sorry for the million questions. Appreciate any advice or insight. 

VERY EASY.

Drive up and drop bags off. Proceed to park. Pay after. Automated but there are people in case something goes wrong. I walked but it depends on when you get there.

Just did this last week. When you get on Terminal Blvd, STAY IN THE RIGHT LANE. It will take you (and lots of other vehicles) right in front of the terminal. I had our bags tagged in the rear of our vehicle, puled up to the curb, popped the trunk gave the bags (and a tip) to the baggage folks. Drove around the corner and into the parking garage ($20/day but well worth it). Park your car, take your keys and receipt with you. Very short walk to the terminal and there are two elevators. When you disembark get your luggage, pay at the kiosks outside the parking garage, find your car  and away you go. As you exit, give your paid receipt to one of the attendants. Very easy. :27_sunglasses:

6 minutes ago, rjac said:

Just did this last week. When you get on Terminal Blvd, STAY IN THE RIGHT LANE. It will take you (and lots of other vehicles) right in front of the terminal. I had our bags tagged in the rear of our vehicle, puled up to the curb, popped the trunk gave the bags (and a tip) to the baggage folks. Drove around the corner and into the parking garage ($20/day but well worth it). Park your car, take your keys and receipt with you. Very short walk to the terminal and there are two elevators. When you disembark get your luggage, pay at the kiosks outside the parking garage, find your car  and away you go. As you exit, give your paid receipt to one of the attendants. Very easy. :27_sunglasses:

Thank you very much, that was exactly what I was looking for. Seems really easy now. 

Oh forgot the most important question. We want to get the port very early because we have never done that before. Always did around 11:30-12:00 but this time I want to get there at like 10:00 AM. Is that gonna be a huge problem? Are they gonna even allow us to drop off bags and park at that time or should we get there a little later like 10:30? Thanks again! 

12 minutes ago, ellcee said:

VERY EASY.

Drive up and drop bags off. Proceed to park. Pay after. Automated but there are people in case something goes wrong. I walked but it depends on when you get there.

Thank you so, so much. Sounds incredibly easy. I'd like to walk down. I'm not a huge fan of elevators unless they are glass like some of the ones on the ship. If I can see out I'm good so it's more a claustrophobic thing I guess. ?

Just now, rjac said:

Nope, we got there at 10:15 am and everything was in full operation....to include traffic.But it moved along smoothly. :27_sunglasses:

Man this is why I post here now and not cruise critic. You guys are nice and helpful. CC are some angry jerks. I mean some are nice and helpful but a lot of not so nice people. I only really sail Royal Caribbean so I might as well just post here going forward. Thank you again!

4 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Always did around 11:30-12:00 but this time I want to get there at like 10:00 AM. Is that gonna be a huge problem? Are they gonna even allow us to drop off bags and park at that time or should we get there a little later like 10:30? Thanks again! 

I'd almost suggest getting there at 10AM because the traffic builds up. It's better now with the new terminal and flow but still sucks. Have you considered an Uber since you mentioned only being 30 minutes away.

Just now, sk8erguy1978 said:

I'd almost suggest getting there at 10AM because the traffic builds up. It's better now with the new terminal and flow but still sucks. Have you considered an Uber since you mentioned only being 30 minutes away.

Thought about it but I think that will actually be more expensive than parking? Also when we get off the ship it'll be nice to just drive home. Go and be home in 30 minutes. 

Just don't forget to have your carry on bags separate from your checked bags -- I tag all my bags for loss prevention, & sometimes a carry on for embarkation day becomes a checked bag when leaving, but you don't want your carry on to be taken away from you then.  Otherwise, it's very simple -- DH always drops me, the bags & DD's (one in wheelchair), parks & is inside the terminal with us within 5 minutes.  Take your ticket onto the ship with you, & put it in your safe, because you pay at an automated machine PRIOR to getting your car at the end.  If you leave it in your car, you have to go get the ticket, pay, then leave with your car (according to DH, anyway, as he always does the parking)

2 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Thought about it but I think that will actually be more expensive than parking? Also when we get off the ship it'll be nice to just drive home. Go and be home in 30 minutes. 

OH YEAH! We drag all our luggage off the ship! Not that I want my vacation to be over but NJ traffic - I want to get ahead of it! ?

According to Royal's website the cost is $22 a day, which sounds about right, we paid $100 for 5 days last year.

Parking Information

A safe and secure parking facility is conveniently located adjacent to the cruise terminal. Parking fees are $22 per day including all taxes.Cash and major credit cards are accepted. No reservations are necessary and parking is guaranteed.

Oversized vehicles, such as campers and RV’s, that occupy more than one space, will be charged double the normal rate.

The height restriction of the garage is 7’ 4”. There is an open lot adjacent to the parking garage to accommodate vehicles with height restrictions.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/driving-directions-port-cape-liberty-new-jersey

16 minutes ago, rjac said:

everything was in full operation....to include traffic.But it moved along smoothly

This needs to be your top consideration, I didn't drive but had an uber picks us up at the pre cruise hotel at 10am for the Anthem GC (Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ), uber made really good time until we turned Terminal Blvd then everything slowed way down, we didn't drop our luggage off until about 10:55. I would have left earlier if I had known it could get backed up that bad.

uber XL was $37.00.

Thank you guys, I feel much better about this now. I actually am looking forward to driving just because I'm in control of when we leave and arrive at the port. Last year our ride was 30-45 minutes late. This year we will be in control.

Really want to get in the ship early, a tip I learned from Matt here. I would like to avoid chaos and be on early. Start vacation early. Only thing that will be a pain is walking around the ship with carry on luggage. One of the only perks of "the key" but too expensive for 1 or 2 perks that I find worth it. Thanks again everyone. 

Another thing not mentioned...

Being only 30 minutes away from the port, you likely are familiar with NJ and/or the Tri-state area traffic.  

If you are not aware of the Waze GPS navigation phone app, they have a great feature where you can put in a future time/date and it will give you a listing of how long it estimates your travel time.  Depending on  your cruise departure (weekday or weekend) could change how long it takes you.  Waze can give you a exact time to leave to arrive at 10am (or whatever) on such and such day.

Have a great cruise

We just got off last week.  We have done Anthem and Celebrity out of Bayonne.  We always parked in the covered garage.  Lo and behold we found out for Adventure it is the covered lot right across the terminal/covered garage.  It is very secure so don't worry.

The negative for the lot is that with the covered you can drive down to the kiosk area and back your car in...it is less than a minute from the exit.  The open lot you have to cross the lanes of the drop off.  If you go to that lot pay for a porter to take your bags if you can't carry them all.

We arrived at the port 10:30.  Through the terminal on the ship within 20 mins.  

We had the 8:30 debark.  Since we were in the open parking lot we paid a porter.  There is a separate check out/custom lane for porters.  Hubby pd the porter so he could pay at the kiosk, cool down the car and meet us.  We pulled out at 8:45.  That included customs.

We paid 22 per day.  There is a shuttle parking lot that costs 16.  My husband and I agreed, 6 bucks a day, I would rather not have to get in a shuttle.  

1 hour ago, Pima1988 said:

We just got off last week.  We have done Anthem and Celebrity out of Bayonne.  We always parked in the covered garage.  Lo and behold we found out for Adventure it is the covered lot right across the terminal/covered garage.  It is very secure so don't worry.

The negative for the lot is that with the covered you can drive down to the kiosk area and back your car in...it is less than a minute from the exit.  The open lot you have to cross the lanes of the drop off.  If you go to that lot pay for a porter to take your bags if you can't carry them all.

We arrived at the port 10:30.  Through the terminal on the ship within 20 mins.  

We had the 8:30 debark.  Since we were in the open parking lot we paid a porter.  There is a separate check out/custom lane for porters.  Hubby pd the porter so he could pay at the kiosk, cool down the car and meet us.  We pulled out at 8:45.  That included customs.

We paid 22 per day.  There is a shuttle parking lot that costs 16.  My husband and I agreed, 6 bucks a day, I would rather not have to get in a shuttle.  

Great info, thank you. Definitely parking in cruise port parking garage.

We were on the same cruise as @rjac . There were 8 of us and lots of bags. When disembarking we grabbed a porter and bypassed everyone in customs. There was one person in line in front of us. If you disembark early it my not be a big deal. If later, I know it saved us at least 30 minutes and well worth the extra $$ I tipped the porter. He'll watch your bags while you bring the car down, too! It was less than 30 minutes from the time we swiped our sea pass card to get off the ship til we were in the car and ready to go!

I always use the parking garage. The only advice is to arrive early as the traffic lines will back up as the day goes on. The port has a huge amount of employees out directing traffic. They will hold up traffic in order to keep the front of the terminal moving along safely...cars dropping off and cars picking up...pedestrians crossing. 

After you pull up and drop off your checked bags to the porter, pull around the bend and into the parking garage. A machine will issue a parking ticket and the gate will go up. An attendant will hand you the ticket and tell you where to park. Other attendants will direct you up the ramp. I try to park on the second level (the first available) so that I won’t have to wait in line for the one and only elevator on disembarkation day. It’s quicker for me to walk up one flight (luckily I can carry my bags up). Park and take your keys. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE PARKING TICKET WITH YOU! Do NOT leave it in the car. You’ll need it to pay before you go back to your car.

On disembarking...after you pass through customs and leave the terminal (to the right) you will see the pay machines right by the entrance to the parking terminal. There will be attendants standing there to help. Some machines only take cash, so make sure you don’t waste time standing in a cash only line if you’re paying with a credit card. The attendant will show you how to put your parking ticket in and then your credit card. The machine will issue you a parking stub which you will need to get out of the lot, and a receipt. Don’t forget your credit card.

When you drive down the ramp to the exit, you will need to insert the parking stub into the machine which will raise the barrier. Again, there will be an attendant there to help. Then...you’re on your way!

This is probably more specific information than you need...but it pretty much covers all!

Enjoy your cruise!

20 minutes ago, BrianB said:

I always use the parking garage. The only advice is to arrive early as the traffic lines will back up as the day goes on. The port has a huge amount of employees out directing traffic. They will hold up traffic in order to keep the front of the terminal moving along safely...cars dropping off and cars picking up...pedestrians crossing. 

After you pull up and drop off your checked bags to the porter, pull around the bend and into the parking garage. A machine will issue a parking ticket and the gate will go up. An attendant will hand you the ticket and tell you where to park. Other attendants will direct you up the ramp. I try to park on the second level (the first available) so that I won’t have to wait in line for the one and only elevator on disembarkation day. It’s quicker for me to walk up one flight (luckily I can carry my bags up). Park and take your keys. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE PARKING TICKET WITH YOU! Do NOT leave it in the car. You’ll need it to pay before you go back to your car.

On disembarking...after you pass through customs and leave the terminal (to the right) you will see the pay machines right by the entrance to the parking terminal. There will be attendants standing there to help. Some machines only take cash, so make sure you don’t waste time standing in a cash only line if you’re paying with a credit card. The attendant will show you how to put your parking ticket in and then your credit card. The machine will issue you a parking stub which you will need to get out of the lot, and a receipt. Don’t forget your credit card.

When you drive down the ramp to the exit, you will need to insert the parking stub into the machine which will raise the barrier. Again, there will be an attendant there to help. Then...you’re on your way!

This is probably more specific information than you need...but it pretty much covers all!

Enjoy your cruise!

Oh wow thank you. Great info. We are doing cash. Setting aside 110 bucks for parking right off the bat. Than you again. I think I have it down now but will reread this again before we go. 

1 hour ago, Cez said:

@BrianB @KJ1231 @rjac have you notice electrical outlets or EV chargers in the garage ?

I'll be cruising in winter for 11 days and ideally would like to leave my EV plug-in, so I don't loose too much autonomy in case of the super cold snap  

@Cez you might want to check out the Plugshare app or website. 

If you do not mind parking away from the port, but close by, there are a few options around Newark Airport.  At one of the Hilton's by the airport, they have a few electrical outlets in their garage, and you can usually find online coupons for parking way under $10 per day.  And just take a 15-20 minute Uber to the port.  I have parked there for airport trip, and the place seems safe (but did not try and charge).

Another possible option, if you want to park at the port, and are not in a huge rush after your cruise (and your car won't totally drain the battery during your cruise) is to go to the Liberty Science Center museum after your cruise.  This is a great stop if you have kids, to visit.  They have a bunch (maybe 12) free L2 J-1772's, but do have to pay for parking when there.  This is a great place for kids.

If you drive a Tesla, there are a couple of Superchargers close to Cape Liberty.  There are two in Jersey City (one at a mall) about 9 miles north from the port.  As well as another Supercharger in Kearny, about 12 miles NW.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:15 PM, KJ1231 said:

We were on the same cruise as @rjac . There were 8 of us and lots of bags. When disembarking we grabbed a porter and bypassed everyone in customs. There was one person in line in front of us. If you disembark early it my not be a big deal. If later, I know it saved us at least 30 minutes and well worth the extra $$ I tipped the porter. He'll watch your bags while you bring the car down, too! It was less than 30 minutes from the time we swiped our sea pass card to get off the ship til we were in the car and ready to go!

You carried your bags out when you disembarked? And the porter was before you got to customs?

On 8/2/2019 at 4:18 PM, SuZQ329 said:

You carried your bags out when you disembarked? And the porter was before you got to customs?

No - we left our bags out the night before. As soon as we got to the baggage area we grabbed a porter. He loaded about 12 bags for the 8 of us and whisked us off to customs where the wait was less than 5 minutes. He then took the bags to the lower lever of the parking garage. We brought the 2 cars down and the porter them up and we were on our way. Well worth the $60 ($40 from me; $20 from my son-in-law) considering the long line to get through customs.

1 minute ago, Cez said:

@KJ1231 you've tip a porter $60 ? I think I'm going to hit the gym !

There were 8 of us - lots of bags - and he was awesome - loaded all bags on 1 cart that got split between 2 cars. May have been slightly excessive but when we bypassed 100's in line at customs I felt a little generous. Large group, lots of bags and in the car and out of there in record time!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys bringing my old thread back up cause I have a new question. I notice that there is overflow parking outside in front of the terminal when the garage is full. Do you know if you can elect to park there even if you are early enough to get into the parking garage? Just curious about that. We have decided to get to Cape Liberty really early, shooting for 10 AM on the money. Leaving the house at about 9:20 should get us there at just about 10 AM.