Microwave and Room service

First time cruising!  Two questions:  1) are there microwaves in the standard balcony rooms (Freedom of the Seas), and 2) I have seen some talk of complementary room service for a continental breakfast.  Is this true (that it is free), and what comes with that breakfast, specifically is there coffee?  Thanks all!

No microwaves anywhere for passenger use. 

Continental breakfast (bread/bagels/pastries, hot & cold cereals) juice, coffee, tea will be delivered free in the mornings if you want it -- here's a link to the menu -- first page is breakfast

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/03/16/royal-caribbean-shares-new-fleet-wide-room-service-menu

Note -- the food on the light blue background can also be ordered, but there is a $7.95 fee for that, but you can order as much as you like (for several people) for that same fee.

You can either call & order in the mornings, but I don't know how long that takes OR -- there is a menu you can hang off your door at night & they will deliver it at the time you specify (up to 11am).

There is a $7.95 fee for lunch, dinner & anything in between -- again, you can order as much as you like for that same service charge/fee.

27 minutes ago, Lovestotravel said:

First time cruising!  Two questions:  1) are there microwaves in the standard balcony rooms (Freedom of the Seas), and 2) I have seen some talk of complementary room service for a continental breakfast.  Is this true (that it is free), and what comes with that breakfast, specifically is there coffee?  Thanks all!

Since you already said you are in, standard balcony, this is probably over kill, but if you are in a suite all room service is free. 

5 minutes ago, Lovestotravel said:

Thanks!  Good to know!!  How accurate are they with the time (on average) of delivery?  So, if you ask for 8am, are they pretty close to that?  Just already thinking about excursion days. 

The door hangar has a range of 30 minute intervals you can choose from, and we've always found them to be within that range and reasonably accurate. 

We never hung the order menu on our door.  At night right before bed we called down for the continental breakfast.  It was always delivered by the time we asked for it, and as others have stated they call prior to delivery.

One day we forgot and called that a.m. It was there in 5 mins.  

Typically  what we did was one of us would run down to the promenade where they have Starbucks for our coffees and get some hot items like egg burritos and ham/egg/cheese mc muffin type sandwiches from their Sorrento venue.  We'd take them back to the room and eat it on the balcony while we got ready for the day.

We also do this because for me the coffee they serve at breakfast is very bitter, so with the deluxe bev. package why not get an iced coffee (me) and a cappuccino for me husband.  If you do this, make sure that you bring both seapass cards with you for starbucks. 

13 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

We also do this because for me the coffee they serve at breakfast is very bitter, so with the deluxe bev. package why not get an iced coffee (me) and a cappuccino for me husband.  If you do this, make sure that you bring both seapass cards with you for starbucks. 

Thanks for the advice!  Is it safe to assume that Starbucks gift-cards don't work on the ships?  LOL!!

Gift cards and loyalty cards do not work on the ship.  We are early risers, so I was hitting Starbucks by 6:30-7 a.m.  no real lines, maybe 1 or 2 people, but by 8 there were lines, and worse yet, there were people that were bringing 5 or 6 sea pass cards and each order would be a frappucino, cappuccino, specialty.  One day, after I had been stuck behind a family like this, I saw them yank out all of the seapass cards and turned and walked away.  As I did you saw other passengers rolling eyes at this person.  Later in the day (sea day) I went to get an iced coffee and a slice of pizza, there they were ordering 6 more and 5 types of Ben and Jerrys Ice cream.  This time I had to stay and watch on how they were going to handle carrying all of this.  Simple.  They used their whats app and texted them to come down and get it.  It was a gaggle of 6 kids that were aged 13-16 (they were talking as they claimed their stuff).  Funniest part of it, is they take their stuff away and the Mom  than walked over with her cup to the free style machine for a water.  Sorry, but I am not that good of a Mom.

Note the kids could have done this because for each order, she had to swipe a sea pass card, it was not like she could have put it all on her card.  I know she swiped each one individually since at one point she said, OH no, that's not the right card, can you tell me which one I haven't use yet?

38 minutes ago, Lovestotravel said:

Thanks for the advice!  Is it safe to assume that Starbucks gift-cards don't work on the ships?  LOL!!

Starbucks gift cards will work at the Starbucks shops/kiosks onboard.  You just can't redeem your stars for free drinks.  You can NOT use your drink packages at these locations.

Some ships, such as Anthem, have coffee shops that serve Starbucks as their specialty coffee onboard.  They do not have a Starbucks kiosk on that ship so you can't use your Starbucks cards there.  However, the drink package WILL work that this location.  The coffee shop is not called Starbucks but rather La Patisserie.

Confusing as heck, right?

For what it's worth, if you want a hot breakfast and don't want to shell out the $7.95 for the order, you can always go to the Windjammer, load up a plate with an omelette / pancakes / sausage / bacon / etc, plus any cold stuff you want, then bring it back to your room. Some folks even snag a tray when they find one lying around, so they can bring back multiple plates for themselves and significant other / family members.

The practicality of this will depend in some measure on how close your cabin is to the Windjammer, just to avoid food getting too cold, but it's another option to consider.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

The practicality of this will depend in some measure on how close your cabin is to the Windjammer, just to avoid food getting too cold, but it's another option to consider.

This also applies to room service for breakfast. It is the hardest meal to insure that it arrives hot and the farther you are from the kitchens the worse it is.

We like to order the continental breakfast early as a light snack while we get ready for breakfast in the WJ, later in the morning.

Just now, FManke said:

We like to order the continental breakfast early as a light snack while we get ready for breakfast in the WJ, later in the morning.

Yep - same for us. Or, I'll order an english muffin and fruit for breakfast if we are planning on a big lunch or want to get off of the ship quickly in the morning. 

I would highly doubt they would move the WJ.  That area is huge sqft wise on all of their ships, plus you are talking about electrical and venting.   Remember that they not only have food on chafing dishes, but also they do things like omelets and Mongolian where they are cooking in the WJ.   

They may move/change some specialty dining venues, but that is a different thing.  Specialty restaurants are small compared to the WJ and would be easier to bring in electrical/venting.  

JMPO, I don't know if FoS has teppynaki, rocks or just sushi for Izumi.  I could see them moving Izumi so they could put in a teppynaki.  due to a venting issue.  

1 hour ago, Pima1988 said:

JMPO, I don't know if FoS has teppynaki, rocks or just sushi for Izumi.  I could see them moving Izumi so they could put in a teppynaki.  due to a venting issue.

Pre-AMP, Freedom has no Izumi whatsoever, just a basic refrigerated cart they sometimes will put out with simple to-go options like tekka maki. Post-AMP, I would assume any Izumi installation will be like on Adventure -- a walk-up bar in the Promenade area where you can order various rolls and nigiri / sashimi, but that's it. I want to say that hot rocks were removed from the fleet (presumably for safety reasons, both burn risk and also food prep safety concerns), and only the Oasis class ships have the space on board for teppanyaki.