Southwest Ending Service at EWR (Newark, NJ) Airport

Skid

1 hour ago, Skid said:

I know there are a lot of Southwest fans on RCBlog. Don't know how many have the need to go to or from Newark, but that will no longer be an option effective November 3.

Here is one of the articles.

@JohnK6404, you are still fine at Islip and I'm still jealous!

I’m surprised that a deal to sell the slots wasn’t announced. If they couldn’t get them sold, things must be even worse for the non-UA airlines than it looked like. Southwest never really put much effort into Newark, so not surprising that they pulled out. 

26 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

I’m surprised that a deal to sell the slots wasn’t announced. If they couldn’t get them sold, things must be even worse for the non-UA airlines than it looked like. Southwest never really put much effort into Newark, so not surprising that they pulled out. 

If I understand this correctly, Newark is not FAA slot controlled like the other NYC airports. If that is the case, then I'm guessing other airlines could just add flights without paying to buy slots.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/systemops/perf_analysis/slot_administration/slot_administration_schedule_facilitation/level-3-airports/

And now I'm shopping for January flights...  (while my booked SWA flight to EWR still appears normal).

Ugh.  LaGuardia.  The worst airport in the entire country.  

Guess I'm flying another airline.  There's always JetBlue if I am willing to connect in Boston, fog capital of America.   

Delta is looking pretty good right now.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Not sure how you feel about discount airlines but depending on where you're coming from, there's Trenton (TTN - frontier airlines) and SWF (upstate New York State). TTN is about 1hr15 and SWF is about 1.5 hrs. Far but still options.

47 minutes ago, bigpete said:

Not sure how you feel about discount airlines but depending on where you're coming from, there's Trenton (TTN - frontier airlines) and SWF (upstate New York State). TTN is about 1hr15 and SWF is about 1.5 hrs. Far but still options.

I believe @sk8erguy1978 uses SWF and likes it. 

It seems every time I looked at Frontier, although the base price was good, the added fees wiped out much of the benefit or I had to sacrifice non stop flights. Last thing I want is 6-8 hours for a 3 hour flight. Just never worked out for us. I keep looking though we usually end up on AA or Jet Blue.

SWF is about 15 minute drive from me, very small and simple airport but limited flights. I like the JetBlue direct to FLL or MCO. Allegiant flies direct to PIE (Tampa area?) I believe and maybe a few others. To fly into SWF to get to Bayonne, NJ ... I mean, if the price is right maybe, but it's a 90 minute ride so rental car is going to be the most affordable. 

United is pretty big at EWR too, one of their hubs, I believe.

1 hour ago, bigpete said:

Bonus with TTN is you can roll up 30 mins before your flight if you aren't checking bags and have zero issues making the flight.  

9 hours ago, twangster said:

And now I'm shopping for January flights...  (while my booked SWA flight to EWR still appears normal).

Guess I'm flying another airline.  There's always JetBlue if I am willing to connect in Boston, fog capital of America.   

I'd rather connect from JFK.  JetBlue flies there, but I understand you have that connecting flight problem.

9 hours ago, twangster said:

Agreed on LGA. 

I know there's so much love for Southwest but it always ends up being comparable to Delta when flying from CVG, even though it's not really a hub anymore. 

A message about Newark Liberty International Airport

Yesterday, we announced we will cease operations at Newark Liberty International Airport on November 3, 2019. We know this announcement affects you as you have travel booked to/from Newark on or after that date. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this causes. We hope you will keep your travel plans with us, but understand if you must cancel your trip.

If you choose to keep your travel plans with us, you may change your flight to one of the following airports:

New York (LaGuardia), NY - LaGuardia Airport

Long Island/Islip, NY - Long Island MacArthur Airport

Philadelphia, PA - Philadelphia International Airport

Baltimore/Washington, MD - Baltimore/Washington International Airport/Thurgood Marshall

Washington (Reagan National), D.C. - Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport

Washington (Dulles), D.C. - Washington Dulles International Airport

Hartford, CT - Bradley International Airport

For reference, the closest airports to Newark we service are New York (LaGuardia) and Long Island/Islip MacArthur.

For expedited service, you can change or cancel your flight at southwest.com/rebook3. You may also call us at 1-800-IFLY-SWA, but please keep in mind the time to reach a representative may be longer than normal during this time.

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you onboard again soon.

Sincerely,

Your Southwest Family