Cuba rumor

Be careful to separate rumor from speculation from facts.  

Until the White House announces it, it's not going to happen.  Even if it did, the cruise lines lost so much money on the abrupt short notice changes they will be a lot more careful going back absent of anything that doesn't confirm another whimsical change couldn't occur a month later.  The current administration isn't very business friendly towards the cruise industry.

Even if a new administration were to allow it, the cruise industry would be cautious.  Most cruises are booked over a year in advance.  The cruise industry will always struggle with a flip flop government policy that allows it for a few years then changes it's mind with zero notice. It's challenging to build a business model when nothing is certain and the government can rip the rug out from under you tomorrow.

In the past there were grandfathering clauses that provided some stability.  Those were not offered this time where they could have been. 

Once bitten, twice shy.  

29 minutes ago, twangster said:

In the past there were grandfathering clauses that provided some stability.  Those were not offered this time where they could have been. 

Once bitten, twice shy.  

I would assume that if there was change.... (if any) it would be in the next administration.

That said.... I can only take a passing interest in these things considering i am on the other side of the planet! ha!

Was on a cruise when they (Royal) released their first set of sailings to Cuba.  Spoke with the wife at dinner that night and I was waiting the next morning when Next Cruise opened, in less than 15 minutes we were booked.  One of 2 overnights in Havana they released.  I normally ponder and think things through to the nth degree but, now I look back and so very glad I made that quick decision.  Window on Cuba sailing was only about 2 years, what a wonderful place to visit and not at all what I would have expected.

4 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

Was on a cruise when they (Royal) released their first set of sailings to Cuba.  Spoke with the wife at dinner that night and I was waiting the next morning when Next Cruise opened, in less than 15 minutes we were booked.  One of 2 overnights in Havana they released.  I normally ponder and think things through to the nth degree but, now I look back and so very glad I made that quick decision.  Window on Cuba sailing was only about 2 years, what a wonderful place to visit and not at all what I would have expected.

I had a great time in Cuba also. I hope cruises open up again. I would book again in a heartbeat.

Cuba was good, went 3 times. 1st was the inaugural, then booked overnite for granddaughters 16th while on the ship, and then went back with friends for new stop Cienfuegos.  Quite different than Havana.  Missed Santiago de Cuba because the dock was damaged.  Great history lesson for the granddaughter and we were out til midnight walking around Havana, very safe.  Will miss being able to get Legendario Elixir.

• 2 years later...
18 hours ago, Mike.s said:

Some of the smaller UK cruise lines are currently offering cruises to Cuba, you can travel there on Legend of the Seas, now sailing as Marella Discovery2!!

That's very interesting.... then we know Vision Class ships will fit, because, if memory serves me, the ships RC had going were Majesty and Empress.

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2022 at 7:44 AM, coneyraven said:

That's very interesting.... then we know Vision Class ships will fit, because, if memory serves me, the ships RC had going were Majesty and Empress.

Actually, neither the Majesty or the Empress were Vision class ships. They were smaller. 

On 4/23/2022 at 5:54 PM, Oliver said:

Actually, neither the Majesty or the Empress were Vision class ships. They were smaller. 

Exactly my point ... I know that ..... It seems that since those two were the ones going, it was natural to assume that Vision Class ships were too big.  Now we know better.

On 4/23/2022 at 6:38 PM, AdventureKenandCar said:

We were some of the people that had bad luck with the Cuba cruise. We were booked on the Empress, counting the days until we could sail to Havana and Cienfuegos, all land-based (and government-accepted) excursions secured…when they pulled the plug. This was 2 weeks before we sailed. RC made it up to us, though. 

This happened with us as well. We still went on the cruise (Cozumel and Costa Maya instead) and had a wonderful time, but really bummed we couldn't make it to Cuba. 

Actually, I absolutely loved Empress in general. It was one of my favorite ships and I had a second cruise booked on her before the pandemic shut everything down. Really need to get something booked on a small ship. Radiance class is still my favorite.

We will be ones of the first to book a cruise to Cuba if it opens up. We went to Cuba on the Empress. We love Cuba. We booked a cruise that stops in Key West. We want to go to the Southernmost  Point. We brought back Cuba rum and cigars. Our friends were happy.