chichen itza or Tulum? are they near each other??

kittysoul

They are not near one another.

It will take you the entire day to travel to and from Chitchen Itza and is an an excursion I'd definitely book through the cruiseline in case of delays. 

We went on an excursion when staying at a hotel in Costa Maya and although it was a long day, it was well worth it. a very impressive site and, if you're lucky, a chance to swim in a cenote on the way back. 

3 hours ago, kittysoul said:

Has anyone done both of these?  Are they near each other?    I am leaning towards the one with beach time but my son will want as much history and adventure as possible lol

I would go to Tulum.  I believe the best way to see Chichen Itza is through a land vacation, which is on my bucket list.  I enjoyed Tulum, but it was hot (June), so plan on lots of bottled water. 

12 hours ago, kittysoul said:

I have never seen any Mayan ruins before and so I am sure I will be impressed... I like that at Tulum excursion, i can fit in some beach time too!

As I recall, the hike down to the beach occurs toward the end of the tour.  Some people on the bus wore swimsuits with cover ups/shorts so they could quickly get some water in the time remaining after seeing the ruins.  I don't know how it is being run today, but that was my experience.

@ChessE4 I am right on that!  I am always ready for beach time.... my son is really excited about seeing the ruins and other non beach activities... I guess with me, when I was in MY 20's., i was all about the hiking and adventuring and seeing stuff...but now, i am all about the beach with a cold drink in my hand... lol

We've been to both as we have a Timeshare in Playa del Carmen, if your plan is to do it as an excursion, Tulum is the better option since it's closer.  However if you ever plan on doing land based vacation...go to Chichen Itza and spend the day there..you will be amazed of the archaeological aspects of the Mayans ruins.