Is 12 nights too much?

Everyone's opinion and experience is going to be different. Only you know you and if you think you can do 12 days. If you're concerned about spending 12 days on a ship, remember (I assume) many/most of those days you'll stop in a port. If you're concerned about a 12+ day trip in general, only you know your time and money constraints.

We did a 12 night on Brilliance back in 2005.  It wasn't the Baltics, it was the Med, round trip from Barcelona.  That cruise was one of the best and most memorable vacations that I have even taken!  The sights were breathtaking and beautiful! 

Definitely worth the commitment and cost.  I still remember when we booked that trip, Hubby questioned if it was "worth it"?  We both have no regrets as we have some of the best memories and moments from that trip.  I feel like it's one of those trips that if you don't do it while you are young, then life (work, kids, other commitments) bogs you down and you might miss your chance at it until much later in life. 

We look back to that trip 14 years ago, and if we did not YOLO and go then, we would still be waiting to go today.  So glad that we did!

Although the Caibbean and not the Med, we did 12 nights on Anthem in 2016 and loved it. After doing 7 night cruises, the feeling of knowing that instead of packing you still have 5 more nights was amazing! As fast as every vacation goes, the more days the better.

Conversely, we have a 4 night coming up...that makes me think "why even bother". Haha. But hopefully that will hold us over until our next 12 night (Southern Caribbean) in May.

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We did a 12 night on Brilliance back in 2005.  It wasn't the Baltics, it was the Med, round trip from Barcelona.  That cruise was one of the best and most memorable vacations that I have even taken!  The sights were breathtaking and beautiful! 

Definitely worth the commitment and cost.  I still remember when we booked that trip, Hubby questioned if it was "worth it"?  We both have no regrets as we have some of the best memories and moments from that trip.  I feel like it's one of those trips that if you don't do it while you are young, then life (work, kids, other commitments) bogs you down and you might miss your chance at it until much later in life. 

We look back to that trip 14 years ago, and if we did not YOLO and go then, we would still be waiting to go today.  So glad that we did!

Absolutely!  We also did a 12N Med cruise from Barcelona, and we still consider it our best cruise.

The longer the better.  As long as you can get off the ship every so often.  Over the years we have met people who are on  the ship 6 months or longer at a time.  Last cruise this lady has been living on the ship for several years.  She stated it is cheaper than being in any type of retirement setting.  And on more than 1 cruise we have seen and met the 2 German fellas who are on board for 6 or more months at a time.  You can`t miss them as they dress up for dinner nightly in outlandish outfits.  Looking forward to doing the top and bottom back to back  out of Sydney.  A mere 30 days. Plus spending 5 days in Sydney.    

Let's see..............12 days, fairly port intensive, several countries, etc. Sounds great to me. I would not fly that far for less, but I am retired.

Those tend to be some of the more expensive sailings though if that makes a difference.

19 hours ago, bigpete said:

Has anybody here been on the 12 night Baltic (brilliance) and able to share their opinions on whether or not it is worth it for the time commitment? 

Hi Pete,  Are you asking about 12 nights in general or are you concerned specifically about a 12 Baltic?  Like others, I would say more is better - that's if you can afford the time.  We did the Anthem's very first US cruise out of NJ on 151110 which was 12N to the Southern Caribbean.  I love the SC and 12N allowed us time to get there.  It was awesome.  I also did a 14N transatlantic on the Splendor in 1999.  That was just so incredible all around, including the price which was only $69 per person per day including the cruise and Virgin Air to England.  Every day at lunch the headwaiter for our table section would make a special (and not on the menu) pasta for just us at table-side.  Probably the best cruise I was ever on.  Really a once in a lifetime experience!  The longest we did was a 14N just last year where we booked the Dawn back-to-back from Boston to Quebec City to Boston.  Loved it.  Quebec City was awesome.  Been wanting to do that cruise for a long time.  BUT, 14N for me was a bit tough from a work standpoint.  Probably won't do that again until I retire.  In the end I am glad I did those cruises.  If you are itching for the Baltics, I think you will be too.

We have done the 12 night Med and as others have stated if it is port intensive it won't feel that long.  Just got off of an 8 night, my husband and I agreed that for us this was about as long as I wanted.  We will be doing the 9 night to the ABCs next.  At a certain point for us we just wanted to go home and sleep in our bed, see our puppy.  We definitely had food and alcohol fatigue by day 7.  Day 8 I was even sunbathing fatigued,  

I know that I am probably making people shake their heads in shock,  but oh well.  

I also want to say that this cruise was on Adventure (4K passengers), maybe if it was Harmony I would feel differently.  I know when we did Anthem for 6 days we felt it was too short because you need more time just to find everything on the ship.  Next yr ours is Oasis class so I am sure I will think 10 days was perfect.

I have a 14-night transatlantic to Canada, Greenland, and Iceland booked, followed by a planned 4- or 5-night land tour of southern Ireland after we disembark in Dublin. Going to be using all 20 of my available vacation days and taking off the entire month of August next year. And I can't wait!! Kind of the perfect balance, alternating a couple of port days with one or two sea days so there's some time to recharge the batteries.

Also have eyed those 11/12-night Anthem sailings to the Southern Caribbean that @YOLO mentioned. Also 50/50 between sea and port days, although the sea days are all at the start and end. Your Baltic cruise will be much more port-intensive, only a few sea days in there; if that's to your liking, definitely go for it! You will not be bored and only question is if you might feel any burnout after so many days going port-to-port-to-port.

For those of you that have taken 10+ day cruises, do you find the longer the cruise, the more relaxing they are? Having only taken 7 night cruises, I find that I'm always trying to cram too much into everyday because of course, you only have 7 nights. Maybe that's just me. 

Our long cruises have varied in both length and number of ports.  Last wast the 11 day on Ovation with the 4 true port days and 2 glacier days.  We have done Norway/Iceland/Scotland 12 days that had 7 port days.  Our favorite was Panama Canal repo (West to East) 14 days with 4 port days plus the canal transit day which was all on the ship.  There was so much time to relax it was really nice.  Will be doing a trans Atlantic in a couple months.  

Longer is always better, if I could choose I would like a few port days but not too many.  Luckily that has been the trend on our longer cruises.  The most port intensive one did start to feel a little rushed for a vacation but we overnighted in Reykjavik which helped.  We were able to do a full day tour that day and got back to the ship near midnight so it wasn’t rushed at all.

Last year I cruised 12 nights from Southampton to Baltic capitals - fabulous - but could have been a day or two longer as it can take a day or two from Southampton.  Several of the ports were back to back days - a day off in the middle would have been a great rest day.

Last month I did a 7 night crusie and was just starting to relax and get my bearings around the ship when it was time to get off.  Longer is better!!

We did 12 nights on the Explorer, out of Bayonne,  in January when my boys were 2 and 4, no nursery,  no children's program for my 2 year old. All 4 in an inside room with Pullman beds on deck 10, under the Solarium hot tub. It was GREAT! Do it! The Baltic will be like nothing else. If you have the time to take to go on this journey, take it.