SetSail Pass & SeaPass Card

VinceC

I have a TWO PART question.....

Do I need a hard copy of my SetSail Pass during Check-In or would the SetSail Pass in the Royal App suffice?

Also, do I need to take any additional identification (ie. passport, driver license, etc.) when getting off the ship for an excursion, or do I just need to take my SeaPass Card?

1 minute ago, VinceC said:

Do I need a hard copy of my SetSail Pass during Check-In or would the SetSail Pass in the Royal App suffice?

The one in the Royal App will work.  Make sure you screen shot it just in case your internet is acting wonky when you get to the port and won't let you get to the barcode.

2 minutes ago, VinceC said:

do I need to take any additional identification (ie. passport, driver license, etc.) when getting off the ship for an excursion,

SeaPass and photo ID when getting off the ship.  SeaPass proves you belong in the port, photo ID to match the name on the SeaPass.

Just now, cmdrfrag said:

Taking a screenshot is a great idea, remember being turned away at airport security because I had no signal and could not get the boarding pass to show up on my phone

What a relaxing and stress free day that was ?

Pro-tip..make your boarding pass screenshot your screen saver so you don't even have to unlock the phone to get to it.  

4 hours ago, VinceC said:

Also, do I need to take any additional identification (ie. passport, driver license, etc.) when getting off the ship for an excursion, or do I just need to take my SeaPass Card?

While there are some people who have stated on other threads that they take their passports off the ship, most vacationers i have spoken to leave such documents in their stateroom safe.@AshleyDillo expressed the majority view that ID and Sea Pass are sufficient.    In my opinion, you would only take your passport if you were taking a long 3rd party excursion and were worried that you'd miss the ship and need to fly to the next port, or that you'd have a medical emergency and need to be evacuated.   I am more worried about pickpockets than an emergency, so I leave my passport in the safe.

Whatever you choose to do, have a great cruise!

4 hours ago, FManke said:

I always carry paper copies of everything besides having it on my phone. I'm both old and old school! You just never know.

My wife is the same way. She carries a manila envelope in her backpack with everything pertaining to the cruise; SetSail Passes, payment receipt from our travel agent and shipboard activities/excursions, our activities calendar...... But I trust in knowing she's got it just in case that one time we need them.

4 minutes ago, joshvc said:

I've only cruised once, and only to Nassau & Coco Cay, but they were checking photo IDs in Nassau at the port security check when we re-boarded, before you got into Royal's own area.

This has been happening more and more, take some type of photo id with you, if you don't trust taking your passport take your drivers license. On San Juan 2 weeks ago, I saw people (Significant other's that had their photo ID) having to run to the ship and get the photo id for the other person before they could pass security.

Only 2 places I know where this is not needed is Labadee and Coco Cay.

• 3 years later...

Yes, it should matter since it's supposed to match your Passport or Birth Certificate (if traveling with that instead). I can honestly say - there have been one or two times that the port agents barely looked at my passport to see if it matched so you could theoretically get by with it being different but why risk that?  I'd go to a customer service rep too like @Ampurp85said!

The only time we needed to have our passport was when we stopped in Israel. Everywhere else, we used Sea Pass and driver's license. For Set Sail Pass, I add them to my Apple Wallet and it shows up on the lock screen. That being said, I still bring a paper copy.....just in case.

When we renewed our passports this last time, we added the passport card along with it for a small surcharge - I can't remember how much but I don't think it was too much. I'm thinking this will be my ID that I'll bring along with me next time. I don't want to accidentally lose my driver's license or get my Passport wet, but I don't care much about this card. I know it only functions in a very limited capacity as an actual Passport, but it is an official photo ID from the USA. 

4 hours ago, Mturk said:

For Set Sail Pass, I add them to my Apple Wallet and it shows up on the lock screen

Lock screen is an excellent pro tip. Great for that first day when you have to use the SetSail pass for drinks and such before you get your SeaPass cards. Also good in case you lose your phone and someone finds it.

As I understand it…in the event someone ‘misses the ship’ at a port…could be out on their own and can’t get back in time, or an accident or medical issue…then ship’s security will enter your safe looking for your passport, and if they find it, they bring it to the pier and turn it over to the Port Agent. The Port Agent will wait for you…or go to where you are…and assist with travel arrangements to either get you home, or to the nearest port of call. 
So for me, I take just my key card…Driver’s License…a credit card…and some cash when I get off the ship while visiting a port. Some port security people may actually examine and compare the DL and SeaPass when I return from visiting their port…while many others just wave me through. I even held my DL upside down when I saw people in front of me being waved through. Depends on the port.