Unlimited Dining Package

1 hour ago, Pippa_OceanTime said:

I have it for a 10 night cruise, with 6 sea day... The price was so good. $18 per day.

Thats good!!!  I just checked the price for our 14 night cruise and it comes in at AU$27 per day (or US$19.22 per day).  However.... adding an extra AU$700+ dollars to our account is not worth it at the moment.

Had the Unlimited Dining Package on Symphony in May, if you hunt in this section you'll find my blog using it. Best I did was dinner at one specialty then late night snack at Playmakers. Just thinking of attempting two in one night was a gastric challenge. Reservations wise it was a challenge even being one of the first onboard to get desired times for some nights. Keep in mind it would have been the same issue with any other dining package or even paying in full onboard. Lunch, no issues walking in.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:42 PM, Pippa_OceanTime said:

Has anyone gotten the Unlimited Dining Package? How did you find it? Booking or turning up?

Did you go to 2 different restaurants in 1 night?(No judgement)

I have it for a 10 night cruise, with 6 sea day... The price was so good. $18 per day.

My sister and I are going on Oasis next year and I have every intention to maximize the UDP  :)  I love the idea of getting an extra dessert at another specialty restaurant or taking a snack back to my stateroom for a nice midnight snack.  

On 7/24/2019 at 5:56 AM, AGSLC5 said:

I got the Unlimited package and one night I went to hooked seafood for Oysters and Soup then 2 hours later ate dinner at Chops.. Had no problem at all doing this and it was fun too. 

My wife and I had this same thought! Also it was enticing to be able to stop in at Johnny Rockets for a late-night snack without paying. She loves sushi and I can take it or leave it, so we planned on going in for sushi for her and then another place for me. We love eating out if you can't tell... 

Can anyone give me details on the first night's dinner? I set a time in Cruise Planner, but it never asked me for which restaurant we wanted to eat at, so do I have to tell them once we're onboard making the other reservations? 

Also, can anyone confirm we will be able to grab lunch on embarkation day?

10 minutes ago, Ala_Paul said:

Can anyone give me details on the first night's dinner? I set a time in Cruise Planner, but it never asked me for which restaurant we wanted to eat at, so do I have to tell them once we're onboard making the other reservations? 

They will make a "courtesy" reservation at their choice for you at the time you selected.  But when you get onboard just visit the specialty dining kiosk or any of the special restaurants and you'll be able to make your reservations for the cruise.  That's the trade-off for getting the package; you can't make your selections ahead of time.

10 minutes ago, Ala_Paul said:

Also, can anyone confirm we will be able to grab lunch on embarkation day?

Yes..you can eat at any of the restaurants that are open on embarkation day!

I never thought about using the UDP for lunches and late night snacks.  That would definitely make it more appealing.  Do all of the specialty restaurants serve lunch too?  And could I really eat at two specialty restaurants in one night with the UDP without a problem?

4 minutes ago, YOLO said:

Do all of the specialty restaurants serve lunch too?

All of the specialties will be open for lunch on sea days with possible exception o Wonderland and/or Samba Grill.  Whether or not a restaurant is open on a port day will be completely arbitrary to the ship and itinerary. Last month on NAV, Izumi was open on some port days but it was not advertised. You just had to “know”.  These days there is almost certainly going to be at least 1 specialty restaurant open on embarkation day and more than likely, multiple restaurants. I will say, they are making it easier to enjoy your UDP for lunch.

4 minutes ago, YOLO said:

I never thought about using the UDP for lunches and late night snacks.  That would definitely make it more appealing. And could I really eat at two specialty restaurants in one night with the UDP without a problem?

I have never tried eating at more than 1 restaurant in a night (I am always just toooo full to think about eating again !) but I know others have done it, successfully. My understanding is that if you want to eat at an open restaurant, you have the UDP and they have room to seat you, you are good.  My impression is that this works particularly well with venues like the pubs or Playmakers but theoretically it should work with any of the restaurants. The unofficial official wording is, if the restaurant is open and there is availability, you can eat there with the UDP. I’m sure they’re depending on people like me who just cannot physically eat that much.

The rule has changed. The Unlimited Dining Package allows you to eat in any specialty restaurant that is open so long as they can accommodate you.  So if a restaurant is open on embarkation day and you can get in, you can eat there.  It is no longer restricted to sea days as it was when it was the Ultimate Dining Package.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:19 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

All of the specialties will be open for lunch on sea days with possible exception o Wonderland and/or Samba Grill.  Whether or not a restaurant is open on a port day will be completely arbitrary to the ship and itinerary. Last month on NAV, Izumi was open on some port days but it was not advertised. You just had to “know”.  These days there is almost certainly going to be at least 1 specialty restaurant open on embarkation day and more than likely, multiple restaurants. I will say, they are making it easier to enjoy your UDP for lunch.

That's great info! I'll make sure we stop by and check out which places are open on the sly. If we could use the package for lunch on the day in Nassau (don't plan on leaving the ship) then I would be THRILLED.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:19 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have never tried eating at more than 1 restaurant in a night (I am always just toooo full to think about eating again !) but I know others have done it, successfully. My understanding is that if you want to eat at an open restaurant, you have the UDP and they have room to seat you, you are good.  My impression is that this works particularly well with venues like the pubs or Playmakers but theoretically it should work with any of the restaurants. The unofficial official wording is, if the restaurant is open and there is availability, you can eat there with the UDP. I’m sure they’re depending on people like me who just cannot physically eat that much.

I figured if I eat a complete meal one place then I'll be done for the night too! Haha I'm at least planning on maybe skipping a course at one place to sub in that course or a second one at another ? Or having an early-dinner and a late-dinner. Our inner-Bacchus comes out on a cruise; UDP and a DBP! 

@Pippa_OceanTime the only caution I would give you would be to check out the ship you are sailing on and find out how many specialty restaurants are available on board, we just came off a 9 night on the Anthem, which basically has 4 specialty restaurants, Chops, Jamie's, Izumi, Wonderland, you also have Solarium Bistro but don't need the package to eat there, we also had Coastal Kitchen available to us because we were in a Suite, you start running in to food fatigue because the specialty restaurants don't swap there menu like the MDR and Coastal does. We did eat Izumi 3 lunches on sea days, but ended up skipping a second time in some of the specialty dinning to go back to Coastal Kitchen because the food and service was better IMO. 

So we also went on Freedom last October, 2 specialty restaurants, Chops and Giovani's. Did not really get our moneys worth on this.

If you are on a "O" class ship with 7-8 specialty dinning venues then this changes things because of a larger amount of choices.

One other thing, if you do buy the package and once you get on the ship, make sure and tell your waiter that you have the Unlimited, it doesn't always show to them when they ring up the dinner and there is confusion because of the charge and then they have to go back and take it off.

My wife did eat twice in 1 night, we went to Wonderland and she really didn't like the food, she tried it, but it wasn't her favorite, so later we meet fellow GC people in the pub and she wanted some nacho's so we ordered them, there was some confusion on the Unlimited with the server but ultimately they figured it out and brought my wife her nacho's as part of the unlimited.