Most useful (but not important) carry on item

Hello All,

I know most people post on here asking what they should pack etc, etc. I no matter what cruise try to never actually carry on my luggage with like clothes (like why deal with that). 

So I bring a carry on tote, backpack, small roller bag, etc. 

What is everyone's most useful item that they bring with them, I'm not talking passport, medicine, hand sanitizer or any of that. 

I always have to have a pen, sunscreen and portable battery charger bc my phone dies SO fast. I also like to have a small snack of nuts/protein bar to hold me over if there is a wait to get on the ship. 

4 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Hello All,

I know most people post on here asking what they should pack etc, etc. I no matter what cruise try to never actually carry on my luggage with like clothes (like why deal with that). 

So I bring a carry on tote, backpack, small roller bag, etc. 

What is everyone's most useful item that they bring with them, I'm not talking passport, medicine, hand sanitizer or any of that. 

I always have to have a pen, sunscreen and portable battery charger bc my phone dies SO fast. I also like to have a small snack of nuts/protein bar to hold me over if there is a wait to get on the ship. 

Lanyard for my new sea pass and my "Black Jack for dummies" paper back in case I feel lucky.....

I would say my kindle in case I want to get right down to relaxing and reading in the solarium! But overall I have in my carryon, besides the essentials, my kindle, Bluetooth headphones, portable charger, flip flops, sunglasses, and sunscreen. It would be hazardous for me to go ANYWHERE without sunscreen. I’ve gotten bad sunburn in as quickly as 15-20 mins when I’ve forgotten to put any on before. 

41 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

I would say my kindle in case I want to get right down to relaxing and reading in the solarium! But overall I have in my carryon, besides the essentials, my kindle, Bluetooth headphones, portable charger, flip flops, sunglasses, and sunscreen. It would be hazardous for me to go ANYWHERE without sunscreen. I’ve gotten bad sunburn in as quickly as 15-20 mins when I’ve forgotten to put any on before. 

I feel ya on the sunscreen sis! Also on the flip flops. I accidentally packed them IN my clothes suitcase last time... major regret...Lesson Learned.

34 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

My Oricsson backpack - when not in use it's very compact and packs easily away, but is big enough for a port day pack.

https://www.amazon.com/ORICSSON-Lightweight-Foldable-Backpack-Waterproof/dp/B07C1D8WLR

Yes! I have 2 packable backpacks from Eddie Bauer that we LOVE! We have a 20L and a 30L both which we used on the last cruise.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:09 PM, spiralqueen said:

kindle

As long as I have something to read, I can be happy anywhere.  Reading on a ship with an adult beverage is better.  Sun and warmth are icing on the cake. BUT would put kindle in essential category.  Not just nice to have

Magnets ---heavy duty with hooks, bought ours on Amazon 10 of them that held up to 60 lbs..  They take up little room. 

One time we did not get our luggage until 7 pm.  Had our bathing suits in the carryon along with sun hats.  The magnetic hooks were great bc we immediately put them on our balcony walls to dry out our bathing suits instead of using the bathroom.  We used them to hang up our hats (big sun hat for me, Australian panama hat for hubby) instead of putting them on the sofa.  One was used for the tote.  We put the rest up in areas for when we did get our luggage   This way when the luggage arrived we were able to throw all of the luggage on the bed and sofa and immediately could start putting the items we knew that would be on the hooks for the rest of the week on the hooks... belts (instead of using the drawers),  gym clothes for the next a.m. on 1 and PJs for that night.  

Because we had the heavy duty magnets our attendant made the hanging bat from the ceiling.  

On 7/23/2019 at 9:28 PM, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

I am about to head out for a two week business trip (annual one I have been going on for almost 23 years now) and I always stay at the same hotel and my arrival is similar to a cruise embarkation day in that with the time change, I always arrive about four hours before I can get my room so have to hang out until it's ready. I leave my bag with the Bellman to be delivered to my room when it's ready and then I proceed to the pool to wait. I am packing that bag right now as I leave soon. In it, I have two small packing cubes that hold a swim suit and a cover up and my flip flops  so I can change and lay by the pool (it's BEASTLY HOT where I am going). My most useful items I would consider:

1. A portable phone charger so I can catch Pokemon (they have unique ones to the geography I am going and I catch them to give my father when I return home, he's in his 70s but loves to play Pokemon Go and I am his buddy!)

2. SUNSCREEN (Scottish Lass here, 'nuff said)

3. Something to DO (I get bored so easily so I start to select some magazines I want to read but never have the time to and those go with me in my carry on so I can peruse them on the plane and then by the pool)

4. My calendar/agenda/journal as I am always on duty 24/7 and may get a call and have to schedule a meeting. (I am old fashioned and bullet journal. I use a Jibun Techo planner and carry it with me everywhere. It has a pen loop so I also always have a pen.

5. Headphones so I can catch up on whatever audio book I am enjoying at the moment.

The rest of the stuff is just things I don't want to loose should the airline struggle to get my suitcase to me ? I can dash to the shops to buy a change of clothes or shoes but there are a few things I cannot replace on short notice or easily like certain electronics, my Drunk Elephant skin care, or work papers/documents specific to what I'll be doing there.

(Side note: my carry on is half personal and half business so I don't have to wrestle with two bags).

On 7/27/2019 at 10:00 AM, JennyJenny said:

I am about to head out for a two week business trip (annual one I have been going on for almost 23 years now) and I always stay at the same hotel and my arrival is similar to a cruise embarkation day in that with the time change, I always arrive about four hours before I can get my room so have to hang out until it's ready. I leave my bag with the Bellman to be delivered to my room when it's ready and then I proceed to the pool to wait. I am packing that bag right now as I leave soon. In it, I have two small packing cubes that hold a swim suit and a cover up and my flip flops  so I can change and lay by the pool (it's BEASTLY HOT where I am going). My most useful items I would consider:

1. A portable phone charger so I can catch Pokemon (they have unique ones to the geography I am going and I catch them to give my father when I return home, he's in his 70s but loves to play Pokemon Go and I am his buddy!)

2. SUNSCREEN (Scottish Lass here, 'nuff said)

3. Something to DO (I get bored so easily so I start to select some magazines I want to read but never have the time to and those go with me in my carry on so I can peruse them on the plane and then by the pool)

4. My calendar/agenda/journal as I am always on duty 24/7 and may get a call and have to schedule a meeting. (I am old fashioned and bullet journal. I use a Jibun Techo planner and carry it with me everywhere. It has a pen loop so I also always have a pen.

5. Headphones so I can catch up on whatever audio book I am enjoying at the moment.

The rest of the stuff is just things I don't want to loose should the airline struggle to get my suitcase to me ? I can dash to the shops to buy a change of clothes or shoes but there are a few things I cannot replace on short notice or easily like certain electronics, my Drunk Elephant skin care, or work papers/documents specific to what I'll be doing there.

(Side note: my carry on is half personal and half business so I don't have to wrestle with two bags).

Great list!!!!